X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical stuff is "fun"

I went to MEPS in 2009, but was disqualified for taking a prescription for hypogonadism. Pretty much one shot per month. Looking back, I was also overweight and not in very good physical health, which probably contributed to my inevitable DQ and rejection of a waiver. Fast forward to now. In December, I will graduate with a BS, can fulfill the physical standards, and am looking to join ROTC for a law programme at a nearby Uni. By the time I apply (Fall 2013), my LASIK shouldn't be a problem because I didn't have the disqualifiers like +/- 8 diopters or an astigmatism +/- 3 diopters. Even though DODMERB is supposedly more stringent than MEPS, is it possible to secure a waiver? Is it even possible to go back to MEPS and try again and pray my improved condition will help?

PS- I have a 3.6 GPA and got a 94 on the ASVAB.

Re: Medical stuff is "fun"

I can't answer about the waiver, but I will just say that your GPA and ASVAB score do not come into play when they consider medical waivers.

Comment

Originally posted by jb45 View Post
      I went to MEPS in 2009, but was disqualified for taking a prescription for hypogonadism. Pretty much one shot per month. Looking back, I was also overweight and not in very good physical health, which probably contributed to my inevitable DQ and rejection of a waiver. Fast forward to now. In December, I will graduate with a BS, can fulfill the physical standards, and am looking to join ROTC for a law programme at a nearby Uni. By the time I apply (Fall 2013), my LASIK shouldn't be a problem because I didn't have the disqualifiers like +/- 8 diopters or an astigmatism +/- 3 diopters. Even though DODMERB is supposedly more stringent than MEPS, is it possible to secure a waiver? Is it even possible to go back to MEPS and try again and pray my improved condition will help?

PS- I have a 3.6 GPA and got a 94 on the ASVAB.
      Are you still taking the shots or has your condition resolved itself?

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
        Are you still taking the shots or has your condition resolved itself?
        Still am taking them.

Comment

To me it seems if you still have a disqualifying condition that you were already DQed for in the past then it doesn't seem like anything would change. I mean unless the condition can be waivered I can see where you were talking about being out of shape coming into play. Before I was cleared my recruiter told me they are saving waivers for otherwise excellent candidates i.e physically fit, good ASVAB scores, no criminal backgrounds.

Comment

Still am taking them.
            I can't find in the medical regulation where it states that your exact condition is a disqualification. However, what I can say with certainty is that you should expect to need a waiver for those shots. I can see some resistance during BCT at having you give yourself shots every day. Furthermore, if you were DQ'd for it previously, you still have the condition and are being treated for it, you'll most certainly be DQ'd for it now. Medical waivers are pretty strict as of late.

Ultimately, I'm not a doctor. You'll need to verify with your recruiter and a MEPS doctor. They are the only ones that can validate your condition and how it affects your eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by gheart68w View Post
              To me it seems if you still have a disqualifying condition that you were already DQed for in the past then it doesn't seem like anything would change. I mean unless the condition can be waivered I can see where you were talking about being out of shape coming into play. Before I was cleared my recruiter told me they are saving waivers for otherwise excellent candidates i.e physically fit, good ASVAB scores, no criminal backgrounds.
              Yeah. Dropped 30 lbs of fat and am now capable of doing the physical qualifications for my age (22). I heard they were changing it to a five-part instead of the push-up/sit-up/2-mile run deal. Either way, I am sure I could do it now; back then I could barely do five military-style push-ups. As far as I'm concerned, my recruiter didn't even bother with making paperwork for a waiver (ANG, not NG).

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
              I can't find in the medical regulation where it states that your exact condition is a disqualification. However, what I can say with certainty is that you should expect to need a waiver for those shots. I can see some resistance during BCT at having you give yourself shots every day. Furthermore, if you were DQ'd for it previously, you still have the condition and are being treated for it, you'll most certainly be DQ'd for it now. Medical waivers are pretty strict as of late.

Ultimately, I'm not a doctor. You'll need to verify with your recruiter and a MEPS doctor. They are the only ones that can validate your condition and how it affects your eligibility.
              Oh, I'm sure I'll need a waiver for a prescription. Fortunately, I only need one shot per month essentially, not every day; that is why I think there might be a very VERY small chance of a waiver, although I'm not a doctor. If I do ROTC, I would go to LTC and not need a shot for the entire training in KY.

Comment

Yeah. Dropped 30 lbs of fat and am now capable of doing the physical qualifications for my age (22). I heard they were changing it to a five-part instead of the push-up/sit-up/2-mile run deal. Either way, I am sure I could do it now; back then I could barely do five military-style push-ups. As far as I'm concerned, my recruiter didn't even bother with making paperwork for a waiver (ANG, not NG).

Oh, I'm sure I'll need a waiver for a prescription. Fortunately, I only need one shot per month essentially, not every day; that is why I think there might be a very VERY small chance of a waiver, although I'm not a doctor. If I do ROTC, I would go to LTC and not need a shot for the entire training in KY.
                Oh, OK. I was under the impression it was still every day. I'm not a doctor either, but I would think this would help your waiver as it won't interfere with your training as much. Well, the next thing to do is ask! Never hurts to find out what your options are. Good luck!

Comment

I hope you're right that this would help. Couldn't imagine living with myself with daily shots; I hate needles.

Also, I notice one person contends ASVAB doesn't come into play in medical waivers, and another one says they do based upon what a recruiter told them. Is there a definitive answer for that?

Comment

How on earth would an ASVAB score have any relation to if someone is medically capable of serving or not? You either are able to medically serve or not. Any medical waiver would just be determining that you may have a DQ condition, but the doctors believe it is not so bad that it would keep you from performing the required duties of joining. It doesn't matter how smart you may be if you have a condition that would potentially prevent you from performing to the standard.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                      How on earth would an ASVAB score have any relation to if someone is medically capable of serving or not?
                      Hey, just going off what I'm told. I hear a lot of servicemembers say they heard this or that from recruiters, and based off of Rod Powers:

Sometimes the doctor doing the review will determine you have a medical condition which is obviously disqualifying with little or no chance of a waiver. In such cases, MEPS may disqualify you on the spot, and refuse to do the medical examination at all. If this happens, you're pretty much dead in the water. There is no appeal to this. It's technically possible for the recruiting commander of the service you're trying to join to go around MEPS and request a medical waiver from their own medical command, but -- in the years I've been writing about joining the Military -- I've only seen this happen four times. In all three cases, the applicant walked on water (aced the ASVAB, college degree, called their Mothers regularly, etc.).
                      I want to gather opinions before going to a doctor and wasting everybody's time, and so far there is no clear consensus on the subject on hand. Maybe having the academics makes you more desirable for the "brass" to put their money on you for a medical waiver? Even if the academic side has no bearing on a medical condition, perhaps they still take the overall quality of a candidate before taking a risk on them for waivers. Don't know...

Comment

Hey, just going off what I'm told. I hear a lot of servicemembers say they heard this or that from recruiters, and based off of Rod Powers:

I want to gather opinions before going to a doctor and wasting everybody's time, and so far there is no clear consensus on the subject on hand. Maybe having the academics makes you more desirable for the "brass" to put their money on you for a medical waiver? Even if the academic side has no bearing on a medical condition, perhaps they still take the overall quality of a candidate before taking a risk on them for waivers. Don't know...
                        To put it a different way, the military is going to make sure that you are healthy FIRST. Then, once you meet the standards, the rest of your "package" as an applicant will be considered. Like HR NCO alluded to, you could be the smartest Soldier they've got, but if you can't properly perform your duties physically, then you leave yourself and everyone around you at risk during battle. Let's face it, when it comes down to fundamentals, that's what a Soldier's first priority is: to fight and defend. That's why the physical aspect is so important.

Comment

I was referring to waivers. If someone is able to get through with a waive,r my recruiter alluded that they're more likely to grant it to you if you have all your other ducks in order. Not saying they would not DQ you based on that.

Comment

Working...
                          X