X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadblocks Everywhere.

I hate to mislead anyone here, so I will go ahead and say this first... This will be a lengthy post. Lol.

Here is the deal. I enlisted in the Reserves in November of 2007. I shipped off to BCT and AIT soon after. My MOS is 92A. In Feb 2011 I was discharged with a General Under Honorable Conditions discharge. The reason for my separation is Unsatisfactory Participation. Not going to beat around the bush and make excuses here, I missed too many drills. Yes I had extenuating circumstances, but I will not get into them. Before I was discharged I submitted a DD 368 to be released to Active Duty because of the financial issues I was experiencing. My request was denied.

Here is where I'm at now. I have spoken to a recruiter. When I first went and sat down with him, he assured me that he did not see any problems with getting me in. This was great for me to hear, because i have been trying to get back into the Army for over a year and a half. We sat and talked a while longer, and I gave him all of my paperwork etc for him to make copies. He informed me that I would require a waiver, and I knew this ahead of time. After a while, we started discussing MOS choices. He proceeded to tell me that "Aviation, Intelligence, or any other cool jobs are not an option." He informed me that these types of units are not interested in someone who needs a waiver. He also said that Infantry was not an option either because the unit was 3 1/2 hours away.

Now I will get into my questions and concerns... I scored high on my ASVAB, can consistently max out the APFT, etc. Is it correct in saying that these "cool jobs" will not accept me with a waiver? To be completely honest, I understand that I am the one who was in the wrong here, and that I should be thankful for any opportunity that I may get. That is the case, but if possible I would like to get a MOS that interests me. My recruiter also told me that I would not be eligible for a security clearance due to my financial issues, but that is irrelevant at this point because my debt is minimal, everything I own is paid for, and any negativity is old, and I have maintained good financial status as far as credit is concerned since I was 18.

I called my recruiter to check up on things a week ago, and he told me that the Guard as a whole are not currently processing UnSat waivers. He said that my waiver was not denied, but it was not approved yet either and I will have to wait until they are accepting UnSat waivers again. Is this a factual statement? Since my discharge, I have worked my way into an excellent situation with my civilian life. I have a great job with a company that is not going anywhere. I own my home and both of my vehicles. I feel that I am in better situation now.

I really want to get back in, and do my job to the best of abilities. I am in North Carolina in case anyone was wondering. Thank you all for your time in reading this, and thank you in advance to who take the time to reply.

Thanks,
    TClayton

Re: Roadblocks Everywhere.

every state can be doing things differently when it comes to waivers. If he is saying they aren't accepting them right now, then you can pretty much be assured he is probably telling you the truth. Also, as for the "cool" units not accepting you, he is once again probably being accurate. It may be up to the commanders discretion if they choose to accept you or not and being discharged for AWOL may not be something they want to bother with.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
      every state can be doing things differently when it comes to waivers. If he is saying they aren't accepting them right now, then you can pretty much be assured he is probably telling you the truth. Also, as for the "cool" units not accepting you, he is once again probably being accurate. It may be up to the commanders discretion if they choose to accept you or not and being discharged for AWOL may not be something they want to bother with.
      Thank you for your input. I'm just wondering how I can get an internship with a government agency, but I can't get into a "cool" unit. Lol

Comment

You weren't AWOL from a the gov agency giving you an internship

Comment

Originally posted by TClayton View Post
          Thank you for your input. I'm just wondering how I can get an internship with a government agency, but I can't get into a "cool" unit. Lol
          You were essentially fired from the military. If you were fired by said government agency,...do you think they would give you an internship?

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
            You were essentially fired from the military. If you were fired by said government agency,...do you think they would give you an internship?
            Indeed I understand. The point I'm trying to make is that I was essentially fired from a Transportation Unit, yet I can get a slot in a Transportation Unit. So this perspective is what makes me question this. I do agree with you both, but should this keep me from gaining a slot in an Intelligence unit?

Again I appreciate the input.

Comment

The reason you may be able to join a trans unit and not intel could be that the intel unit positions may be more competative. There are generally many more trans slots, so thus the units are willing to make more exceptions to fill the many slots. The intel positions on the other hand may be few and far between, therefore the commander can be more selective about who he allows in.

Also, you can't say you were fired from a trans unit, not intel. The "company" that fired you was the guard, those were just the specicific "divisions" of the "company" that fired you. (to put it into civilian comparison)

So lets say you used to work for a big company as a sorter in the mail room and you got fired for not showing up to work. Then, a couple years later you want to get hired as a market analyst with the same company. They very well may say, "we don't need you as an analyst, but we've got a job in the mail room if your interested." I doubt you could make the argument to them that you never failed to show up as an analyst so therefore they should let you be an analyst with them.

Comment

Indeed I understand. The point I'm trying to make is that I was essentially fired from a Transportation Unit, yet I can get a slot in a Transportation Unit. So this perspective is what makes me question this. I do agree with you both, but should this keep me from gaining a slot in an Intelligence unit?

Again I appreciate the input.
                Why can't you go 92A? I have 92Alphas working for me and it is a very good MOS.

Comment

The reason you may be able to join a trans unit and not intel could be that the intel unit positions may be more competative. There are generally many more trans slots, so thus the units are willing to make more exceptions to fill the many slots. The intel positions on the other hand may be few and far between, therefore the commander can be more selective about who he allows in.

Also, you can't say you were fired from a trans unit, not intel. The "company" that fired you was the guard, those were just the specicific "divisions" of the "company" that fired you. (to put it into civilian comparison)

So lets say you used to work for a big company as a sorter in the mail room and you got fired for not showing up to work. Then, a couple years later you want to get hired as a market analyst with the same company. They very well may say, "we don't need you as an analyst, but we've got a job in the mail room if your interested." I doubt you could make the argument to them that you never failed to show up as an analyst so therefore they should let you be an analyst with them.
                  lol. The logic (using this euphemism instead of nerve) of some young people today. Clayton, your discharge packet submitted by your former Commander had to be approved by higher before you were discharged for unsatisfactory participation; so essentially (since you were Reserves than Guard), the Federal Government fired you.

Comment

Okay and I do understand your points of view and agree with you both.

Sir, you are correct in saying that I was essentially fired by the Federal Government. Since this happened, I have also obtained and completed a paid internship with the Federal Government. That is all I was saying. I was just questioning the idea that a very well qualified candidate should be denied for a slot due to needing a waiver. I'm not challenging the Regulations etc. I just have a problem solving personality.

The fact of the matter is, if I can get my waiver approved then I will take whatever MOS slot I can get, and do the job to the best of my abilities. I see it as a chance to make right with the negative that has already occurred, and that is what I want to do. Sure, I could have a stable career for the rest of my life and just accept the General discharge, but I feel that my obligation was not fulfilled and I need to make things right. Make me a cook? Sure. Make me a toilet cleaning technician? Fine. Deploy me tomorrow? Great. I just want to get back in, and do my part regardless.

At the same time, I know that my discharge is something that I must take responsibility for, and I have. Although I tried everything in my power to prevent the situation from happening, it is still my responsibility. So if anyone has any condescending comments, I respectfully ask that you please keep them to yourself.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Comment

You have the right attitude and I wish you the best of luck.

Comment

You have the right attitude and I wish you the best of luck.
                        ...Agreed...

Comment

Okay and I do understand your points of view and agree with you both.

Sir, you are correct in saying that I was essentially fired by the Federal Government. Since this happened, I have also obtained and completed a paid internship with the Federal Government. That is all I was saying. I was just questioning the idea that a very well qualified candidate should be denied for a slot due to needing a waiver. I'm not challenging the Regulations etc. I just have a problem solving personality.

The fact of the matter is, if I can get my waiver approved then I will take whatever MOS slot I can get, and do the job to the best of my abilities. I see it as a chance to make right with the negative that has already occurred, and that is what I want to do. Sure, I could have a stable career for the rest of my life and just accept the General discharge, but I feel that my obligation was not fulfilled and I need to make things right. Make me a cook? Sure. Make me a toilet cleaning technician? Fine. Deploy me tomorrow? Great. I just want to get back in, and do my part regardless.

At the same time, I know that my discharge is something that I must take responsibility for, and I have. Although I tried everything in my power to prevent the situation from happening, it is still my responsibility. So if anyone has any condescending comments, I respectfully ask that you please keep them to yourself.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

I want to add another perspective to "just any ol' MOS". Do you have a degree? Or plan on pursuing one? If so, you can turn that enlisted MOS into a career as an Officer. Don't want to commission? Get good at what you do in that MOS, and you can become a WO.

You've got a great attitude, and I encourage you to keep it up! Once you get in, you can do more than just that MOS you have to accept to get in. Let me know if you have any questions about becoming an Officer or WO. Good luck!

Comment

Yes sir I am currently pursuing a Bachelors in Intelligence Studies, with a concentration of Counterintelligence, and a minor in International Relations.

Wow that's a mouth full lol. I currently hold a secret clearance also.

Edit: This is why I was interested in an intel MOS.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                              ...Agreed...
                              Thank you both.

Comment

Working...
                              X