X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye Vision

Hi, i recently went to MEPS and i passed everything in my physical except my eye vision, i have always had blurry vision. I was told 2 yrs ago i have an Astigmatism and when i went to my second appt at MEPS for my eyes i was considered DQ because of it. The doctor told me i needed to go get a waiver. I told my recruiter and he said he will start the paper work. I really want to join the National Guard, and this honestly made me sad when they told me this. I am wondering what are my chances of being able to still enlist if i passed everything else but only have bad eye vision? Can someone help me?

Re: Eye Vision

Originally posted by Mariah.Perez View Post
    Hi, i recently went to MEPS and i passed everything in my physical except my eye vision, i have always had blurry vision. I was told 2 yrs ago i have an Astigmatism and when i went to my second appt at MEPS for my eyes i was considered DQ because of it. The doctor told me i needed to go get a waiver. I told my recruiter and he said he will start the paper work. I really want to join the National Guard, and this honestly made me sad when they told me this. I am wondering what are my chances of being able to still enlist if i passed everything else but only have bad eye vision? Can someone help me?
    What is your vision when wearing glasses? Is your prescription current?

Comment

Im 20/20 with my glasses. and i am due for a appt soon, but yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mariah.Perez View Post
        Im 20/20 with my glasses. and i am due for a appt soon, but yes.
        I don't understand what the problem is. Requiring glasses is not a bar to enlistment, last time I checked. I had astigmatism and required glasses when I joined...although, that was ten years ago.

Comment

I don't see why this would be a problem, or why you would even need a waiver for that matter. When I joined my vision was horrible, and I had a mild astigmatism. Had to step forward twice just to see the big E without glasses, and I never had to get a waiver for it. Even if your prescription isn't current it shouldn't matter as they'll make you see an optometrist within the first few days of arrival at BCT so you can get your BCG's made.

Comment

Astigmatisms are not automatically disqualifying as I also have a mild one. I think the max your prescription can be is -8.00. I'm blinder than a bat and my prescription is -2.50 and my husband is in the USMC with a -5.00. HOWEVER, they do measure the intensity of your astigmatism in whats called a "diopter" and if it's over the amount you are DQ. Here is the official answer:

AR 40-501
            Chapter 2
            Physical Standards for Enlistment, Appointment, and Induction

2-13. Vision

d. Current refractive error (hyperopia (367.0), myopia (367.1), astigmatism (367.2)), or history of refractive error prior to any refractive surgery manifest by any refractive error in spherical equivalent of worse than -8.00 or +8.00 diopters is disqualifying. However, for entrance into USMA or Army ROTC programs, the following conditions are disqualifying:

(1) Astigmatism, all types over 3 diopters.

(2) Hyperopia over 8.00 diopters spherical equivalent.

(3) Myopia over 8 diopters spherical equivalent.

(4) Refractive error corrected by orthokeratology or keratorefractive surgery.

e. Contact lenses. Current complicated cases requiring contact lenses for adequate correction of vision, such as corneal scars (371) and irregular astigmatism (367.2), are disqualifying.

Comment

I wasnt told any of my results except when i asked the doc if i was still ok to join and he said he ddnt see a problem because i am 20/20 with my glasses and then i went to the Opt and he did some notes and sent me back to the last doc who reviews everything and he told me i was DQd and needed a waiver. my color vision is good i jst have an astigmatism. i just would like to know if i still have a good chance at joining because this is something i really want to do.

Comment

Have you talked to your recruiter yet about getting the waiver started? I agree with the above posts. If your vision is correctable with glasses, you have a good chance of getting your waiver pushed through.

Comment

I gave a copy of my physical to my recruiter on friday and he said he will start the paper work today.

Comment

Mariah. Perez is there any way you could post your prescription. I am going to meps on thursday and I'm afraid I will get dq'd for my eyesight even though its correctable to 20/20. I have read about so many people getting dq'd if it's correctable.
                    My prescription is -2.00x-1.50x090, i think that's the correct way to type it. I have an astigmatism in each eye.

Comment

Here's what the Medical Standards says about Astigmatisms:

"c. Current refractive error (hyperopia (367.0), myopia (367.1), astigmatism (367.2x)), in
                      excess of -8.00 or +8.00 diopters spherical equivalent or astigmatism in excess of 3.00 diopters.
                      d. Any condition requiring contact lenses for adequate correction of vision, such as corneal
                      scars and opacities (370.0x) and irregular astigmatism (367.22)."

Comment

Working...
                      X