X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diabetes

I am a type one diabetic and I really just want to know why I can't join? I have not gotten any answer besides you just can't

Re: diabetes

What more are you looking for?

Comment

specifics details as to why not? you just can't is a poor answer

Comment

The military doesn't have to say why. They are allowed to discriminate, especially for any kind of health reasons. It is not your god given right to be able to enlist. Given the military's increased restrictions on enlistment and abundance of manpower, why should they consider you/spend time on you over the able bodied teenagers behind you? Something to ask yourself.

Here are the regs on medical fitness standards if you're interested. http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r40_501.pdf
        Last edited by SteveLord; September 22nd, 2012, 07:27 PM.

Comment

If you're a Type I Diabetic, I imagine you've been a diabetic for years and have had teaching regarding your DM and regulating your insulin and the long term effects of the disease including complications from low and high blood sugar. Blood sugar is also affected by physical and emotional stress. Low blood sugar can cause seizures and unconsciousness. Not to be mean, but it should be obvious why DM would disqualify you.

Comment

What happens if you are in a combat environment and run out of your medication and can't get it for days - or even longer?

Comment

Not to mention how your complications could put your fellow soldiers in danger as well. Sorry!

Comment

Working...
              X