X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antidepressant use

I'm just deleting this because I feel like people here have a very narrow mindset, and since I am a much more hopeful person, I'd rather not deal with such things.
    Last edited by Shanti; September 24th, 2012, 07:29 PM.

Re: Antidepressant use

So your previous doctor is the one who prescribed them, but your current doctor said you were improperly diagnosed? Any past use of antidepressants can be tricky thing at MEPs. Have you talked to a recruiter yet? MEPs is going to want to see all of your medical documents from both of your doctors. They'll make the determination if they think it's a reoccurring issue. You mentioned you've been in counseling several times but for no more than 2 weeks? I'm not a doctor and am just adding my 2 cents without knowing anything about why you were in counseling but it seems to me to be a reoccurring problem. Life in the military is stressful so you need to be honest with yourself about your condition. I really wish you well.

Comment

I'm just deleting this because I feel like people here have a very narrow mindset, and since I am a much more hopeful person, I'd rather not deal with such things.
      Last edited by Shanti; September 24th, 2012, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Anything that deals with issues such as yours should be an automatic PDQ. With the amount of suicides the military experiences; you are considered too high risk to be serving.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
          Anything that deals with issues such as yours should be an automatic PDQ. With the amount of suicides the military experiences; you are considered too high risk to be serving.
          Yeah, now that suicide (even if you insist it was unfounded) is in the picture I'd have to agree. Still your best bet is to talk to a recruiter and see what they can do do. You never know!

Comment

These situations are very unfortunate...because it is likely that in many cases a 9th grader taking a SSRI due to a series of unfortunate events shouldn't suffer disqualification. I like to tell people the devil is in the details. These somewhat clouded issues are ultimately decided based on the very specific wording that is used in the physican's patient summary. A physician who off handedly prescribes a SSRI to a 9th grader who is anxious about school bullying is not thinking about their inclination for future military service. Only a person who is lucky enough to have a physican who might happen to think about that due to a personal familiarity, or a parent who would be aware of the same issue could really dodge that bullet.

The bottom line is NO you and your civilian physician cannot appeal MEPS decisions or military regulation. You MAY have a chance to successfully access after you have been free of the medication for over a year, however, it really depends on what those medical records say you were on the medication for initially. Again, the answer is ultimately in the details. It's possible that your childhood physician nailed your military coffin shut. Too hard to say until that review is done.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
              These situations are very unfortunate...because it is likely that in many cases a 9th grader taking a SSRI due to a series of unfortunate events shouldn't suffer disqualification. I like to tell people the devil is in the details. These somewhat clouded issues are ultimately decided based on the very specific wording that is used in the physican's patient summary. A physician who off handedly prescribes a SSRI to a 9th grader who is anxious about school bullying is not thinking about their inclination for future military service. Only a person who is lucky enough to have a physican who might happen to think about that due to a personal familiarity, or a parent who would be aware of the same issue could really dodge that bullet.

The bottom line is NO you and your civilian physician cannot appeal MEPS decisions or military regulation. You MAY have a chance to successfully access after you have been free of the medication for over a year, however, it really depends on what those medical records say you were on the medication for initially. Again, the answer is ultimately in the details. It's possible that your childhood physician nailed your military coffin shut. Too hard to say until that review is done.
              Mongoose is correct. Here's what the Medical Standards say about treatment for depression:

"(1) Outpatient care was not required for longer than 24 months (cumulative) by a
              physician or other mental health professional (to include V65.40).
              (2) The applicant has been stable without treatment for the past 36 continuous months.
              (3) The applicant did not require any inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential
              facility."

I can see where, if you waited enough time, you may have a chance to enlist. Waivers are currently not being accepted for depression, but if you meet the above criteria, you would be fine. However, with your documented episode with suicide (legitimate or falsely diagnosed), you may hit a serious road block:

"n. History of suicidal behavior, including gesture(s) or attempt(s) (300.9) or history of self mutilation or injury used as a way of dealing with life and emotions [is a disqualification]."

Comment

Originally posted by Shanti View Post
                We both think that a military environment would not be too stressful for me, and that I would come out fine.
                How on earth would you know this? This military (basic training specifically) is one of the most stressful places most people will ever be in. It is designed to stress you out to make sure you could handle the stresses if placed in a combat situation. Many people go in there with no past issues and still end up being discharged because they couldnt handle the stress. Now you have not one, but 2 documented issues where the people closest to you thought you needed help to get through tough times. I'm sorry, but the military does not seem like a place you need to be.

Comment

Last edited by Shanti; September 24th, 2012, 07:30 PM.

Comment

I was not disrespectful at all, I simply stated the facts. The military has rules about who it admits for a reason. I grew up in a third world country too (bogota Colombia) and it is nothing like basic training. Its a completely different kind of stress. Based off your passed circumstances you are unfortunately not going to be able to enlist, nor do I think you'll be able to sway anyone's thoughts. That is not an attack on you, just not every one should serve.

Comment

Comment

I will side with HR NCO regarding stress. We have seen kids from 17 to grown men in their 40s succumb to the pressure and stress the military brings. And that can be anything from a drill weekend, to basic, to and most especially...a deployment. There's no way to know how you'll handle it until you're there.

Good luck to ya.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Shanti View Post
                            Hospitalization was never required .
                            I think you are missing the point of what the reg says. You went to the hospital...therefore hospitalization was required. It doesn't matter if you checked yourself in or if you were dragged in kicking and screaming.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X