X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field artillery promotions

I am considering enlisting in field artillery as a 13B. I was wondering if any soldiers here could give me some insight on promotions in FA. I know that promotions up to SPC are automatic so I'm asking about promotion to E-5 and E-6. As in which MOS's in the 13 series promotes E-4's to E-5's, E-5's to E-6's more often. I won't lie by saying that increased pay is not a major reason as I am a college student. But I am also seriously considering a career in the Army/National Guard so I don't want to be in a MOS that has few NCO slots. One of my buddies says that cavalry and infantry get promoted more often than FA, can anyone confirm or deny?

Re: Field artillery promotions

That all depends on your state. If your state has 10 infantry units and only 3 artillery units, then it would seem that infantry has more options for promotion and thus promote more people. Honestly, you are looking very far down the road worrying about E6 promotions before you even enlisted. But if this is something that will help you make your decision then you should ask your recruiter how many units of each are in the state and also the locations of them. If there are 2 artillery units withing a 100 miles of where you live, but only 1 infantry unit within 200 miles of you, then you would probably be better off going artillery so you could possibly look at promotions without having to travel so far. Again, this is looking very far down the road and you should just focus on the 50 meter target, which is enlisting and completing training.

Comment

I've been a 13F for 5 years, never near an FA unit. My platoon has 24 E5 slots and something like 4 E6 slots. E5 slots are not nearly filled. The promotion rate seems (just anecdotal) higher than the 11Bs that we get attached to. Every infantry and artillery battalion has 13Fs, as well as many BSBs and cavalry squadrons. This however is just my experience and someone above my pay grade/in HR can probably give a better idea of manning tendencies and promotion rates.

Comment

Its basically just all relative to each situation and every one can be different and state specific. Also, I've noticed through out the years that it tends to be cyclical in that there may be a a couple years when there may be tons of promotions, but then after that it may take 4 or 5 years before a bunch of positions open up again. Stuff like this happens when perhaps they may fill 10 E6 positions with lets say all soldiers having 10 years TIS. Well, from that point on you've got those 10 Soldiers fighting for maybe 2 E7 slots in the unit. 8 out of those 10 Soldiers may very well stay in those E6 positions until they retire 10 years later, thus causing a back log on promotions to E6, which then also backs up the progress with promotion to E5. When they all decide to get out 10 years later the flood gates seem to open and once again there are a lot of promotions happening. That's what I mean when I say it tends to be cyclical many times and why some people may see an MOS promoting a lot of people and someone else can see the same MOS as hardly ever doing promotions. It all just may depend on when you enlisted and where you fall in that cycle. Again, this is not the rule, just observations I have made through out my career and it can happen in all different MOS's, not just 13B.

Comment

HR NCO and ThirteenFox thank you for replying. I did some research on the Wisconsin ARNG and it seems that there are more infantry battalions. One more question, would it be considered rude or unethical to ask a recruiter which 13 series MOS is most promotable

Comment

Are you in Wisconsin. I work in Wisconsin at the Brigade HeadQuarters for the 32nd Infantry Brigade. Included in our Brigade is the 120th FA HeadQuartered in Wisconsin Rapids, who happen to have a Recruiter that works out of their armory. Would you like any contact info or anything else? they have units in Stevens Point and Marshfield also. Many other units have 13F slots also.

Comment

Originally posted by wisconsin View Post
              HR NCO and ThirteenFox thank you for replying. I did some research on the Wisconsin ARNG and it seems that there are more infantry battalions. One more question, would it be considered rude or unethical to ask a recruiter which 13 series MOS is most promotable
              It would not be rude or unethical, but they may not be able to give you an accurate answer. It may be that right now there are many vacancies and promotions happening. However, by the time you become eligible in a couple years there may be no vacancies, at which point you may think "Hey, my recruiter lied to me". Really, the better question to ask the recruiter would be which MOS/units have the most E5 and above positions. Still, this should only play a small(if any) role in making your enlistment decision. There are many obstacles to tackle before worrying about promotions to E5 and above.

Focus on being a good PVT..and then a good SPC.

Comment

Working...
              X