Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Questions About a Clearance. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Questions About a Clearance.

    Hello everyone. I have a few questions that I hope you guys could help me with:

    Today I went and talked to my recruiter and I was concerned with some of the information I received. I am Prior Service Army also. Anyways, I was informed that since I have a couple of charge offs and minor delinquent debt ($3,000), that I would not be able to obtain ANY type of security clearance. My concern with this is that I have multiple friends from my prior service that had bad credit (way worse than mine) when they enlisted, and most of them posses TS/SCI Clearances. I would just hate to enlist in an MOS I would not be interested in doing just because I need one that does not require a clearance. On the other hand, I would enlist for 11B but my recruiter is dead set on the idea that anything over one hour is too far to travel for drill. I on the other hand, am not doing this for the money so it is not that big of a deal to me.

    In any case, I would like to gather some more information on this, because I don't feel that the information provided to me is completely accurate. I would appreciate some information from you guys who may have a better answer. Thank you for your time (& Sorry for the long post.)

    TClayton

  • #2
    Re: Questions About a Clearance.

    Originally posted by TClayton View Post
    Hello everyone. I have a few questions that I hope you guys could help me with:

    Today I went and talked to my recruiter and I was concerned with some of the information I received. I am Prior Service Army also. Anyways, I was informed that since I have a couple of charge offs and minor delinquent debt ($3,000), that I would not be able to obtain ANY type of security clearance. My concern with this is that I have multiple friends from my prior service that had bad credit (way worse than mine) when they enlisted, and most of them posses TS/SCI Clearances. I would just hate to enlist in an MOS I would not be interested in doing just because I need one that does not require a clearance. On the other hand, I would enlist for 11B but my recruiter is dead set on the idea that anything over one hour is too far to travel for drill. I on the other hand, am not doing this for the money so it is not that big of a deal to me.

    In any case, I would like to gather some more information on this, because I don't feel that the information provided to me is completely accurate. I would appreciate some information from you guys who may have a better answer. Thank you for your time (& Sorry for the long post.)

    TClayton
    It really nips my butt when recruiters do this. A recruiter has zero decision and zero influence on security clearances. You may have some explaining to do, and if this debt is super reason you may in fact have a problem, but you need to start paying on these debts, or otherwise dispute them, negotiate or something to show you are taking control of the situation.

    Your recruiter is a recruiter, not a clearance adjudicator.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Questions About a Clearance.

      Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      It really nips my butt when recruiters do this. A recruiter has zero decision and zero influence on security clearances. You may have some explaining to do, and if this debt is super reason you may in fact have a problem, but you need to start paying on these debts, or otherwise dispute them, negotiate or something to show you are taking control of the situation.

      Your recruiter is a recruiter, not a clearance adjudicator.
      Most of that debt is for medical bills (2 children) and there is one $810 charge off from a bank account in which I was a Minor and my father was the main account holder. He got into some trouble for bad checks, and they put it on my credit. I was 15 at the time. None of my debt is for loans, etc. I have contacted each of the creditors and arranged payment plans with them, except for the bank one because I will not pay something I was not responsible for. Under the circumstances I provided, does anyone think that I could still get a clearance? I have no problem openly explaining these situations in my security interview.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Questions About a Clearance.

        Originally posted by TClayton View Post
        Most of that debt is for medical bills (2 children) and there is one $810 charge off from a bank account in which I was a Minor and my father was the main account holder. He got into some trouble for bad checks, and they put it on my credit. I was 15 at the time. None of my debt is for loans, etc. I have contacted each of the creditors and arranged payment plans with them, except for the bank one because I will not pay something I was not responsible for. Under the circumstances I provided, does anyone think that I could still get a clearance? I have no problem openly explaining these situations in my security interview.
        They grant clearances on a whole person concept. If you are on a payment plan and these are your only issues, then you have a shot. If you have credit issues, 2 speeding tickets, a minor in possession, a school suspension, and so fourth....then you start to have issues.

        If you are not going to arrange something on the bank account, then you need to dispute it. I have posted extensively on how to do it, search the forum.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Questions About a Clearance.

          Originally posted by TClayton View Post
          Most of that debt is for medical bills (2 children) and there is one $810 charge off from a bank account in which I was a Minor and my father was the main account holder. He got into some trouble for bad checks, and they put it on my credit. I was 15 at the time. None of my debt is for loans, etc. I have contacted each of the creditors and arranged payment plans with them, except for the bank one because I will not pay something I was not responsible for. Under the circumstances I provided, does anyone think that I could still get a clearance? I have no problem openly explaining these situations in my security interview.
          Have you tried disputing this? I had something similar happen, and I was able to get it removed from my credit report because it was such an old debt, the account was already expired, and I was not the account holder. Worth a try, I think.

          I agree with Paralegal; recruiters are not the final say on security clearances. Trying to be as responsible as you can for your debt will make you look good and will increase your chances overall.

          One thing I do want to say, in regards to your recruiter, is that you have the final say on your enlistment. If there is an MOS that you want, and you meet all the requirements, don't let them talk you out of it. If a longer commute is not a problem for you, then you make that judgement call, not your recruiter. Once you're enlisted, it will be YOU getting up at o' dark thirty and driving to first formation by 0700 (or so). Long story short, sometimes recruiters have their own priorities and it's impossible for them to know your entire situation. Use some wisdom and common sense to make the decision that works for YOU.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Questions About a Clearance.

            Well this is an interesting situation. your recruiter has the responsability to properly input your information so that your enlistment packet is correct. That being said it sounds like the recruiter is concerned with sending you to MEPS just to have you unable to join in the MOS you picked. If I were you I would ask your recruiter to contact the security manager or MEPS guidance counselor with your SF86 information INCLUDING all of your financial information from it and have them review it before you go to MEPS. EVERYONE now days has bad credit and I have known many many applicants with defaulted loans and payments get clearences. Hang in there do what you can to fix your credit and work with the recruiter to get your info to MEPS so that they can say for sure yes or no. As far as the travel time for drill...That is a concern for any recruiter because so many applicants have said "its fine i dont mind driving" only to join and months later go AWOL due to not being able to or not wanting to spend their whole drill check to drive to drill. Think very hard about the drive and make sure this is something you truly want to do and if so than your recruiter can easily place some comments into your 1966 form about driving over 50 miles to drill. Good Luck!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Questions About a Clearance.

              Quick story. I joined the active army in 2007. I had a possession of drug paraphernalia charge, a reckless driving charge, an altered drivers license charge, a no seatbelt charge, a driving without registration charge, didn't graduate high school, I didn't have bad credit (because I was 18 and had no credit period). The counselor at MEPS assured me there was no way I would get a security clearance (not a security interviewer mind you).

              Low and behold three months later when I was in AIT I got interviewed by some CID agent regarding it all, and about a month later I had a secret clearance. Just saying. I would wait until you get interviewed to decide wether or not you're qualified for a clearance.

              edit: Because of this whole ordeal I ended up letting myself get put into an MOS that I hated, because I was just looking for a job, which resulted in me having a horrible attitude towards the army that took me a long time to get over. What I'm saying is, don't join if you know its not something you want.
              Last edited by ack202; September 18th, 2012, 05:20 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Questions About a Clearance.

                Originally posted by alec.kidd View Post
                Quick story. I joined the active army in 2007. I had a possession of drug paraphernalia charge, a reckless driving charge, an altered drivers license charge, a no seatbelt charge, a driving without registration charge, didn't graduate high school, I didn't have bad credit (because I was 18 and had no credit period). The counselor at MEPS assured me there was no way I would get a security clearance (not a security interviewer mind you).

                Low and behold three months later when I was in AIT I got interviewed by some CID agent regarding it all, and about a month later I had a secret clearance. Just saying. I would wait until you get interviewed to decide wether or not you're qualified for a clearance.

                edit: Because of this whole ordeal I ended up letting myself get put into an MOS that I hated, because I was just looking for a job, which resulted in me having a horrible attitude towards the army that took me a long time to get over. What I'm saying is, don't join if you know its not something you want.
                This stuff happens because people just don't know what the reality is on how to process clearances. I have seen worse then that still get one.

                Side note: you weren't interviewed by CID, it was an OPM investigator, or possible a Defense Security Service agent.

                Comment

                Working...
                X