Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prescription Medication Question

Hi,

Long story short I have been taking Levetiracetam XR (an anti-seizure medicine) for almost three years now. And I know you can't enlist if you are on medicine for epilepsy, but I don't have epilepsy. In November 2009, I had a random seizure and have been prescribed Levetiracetam XR (originally was Kepra, but Levetiracetam is the generic version) since than. I have passed every test and I do not suffer from seizures at all. My neurologist cannot pinpoint exactly why it happened, just happened out of the blue. He has me taking the medicine everyday for now, but I can be taken off of it at any time. Like I said, I do not have epilepsy, nor do I have seizures at any other time and I have passed all tests from my neurologist. Is there anyway I can get around the rule with a waiver? I am planning on talking to my neurologist as well about my intentions to join the National Guard. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Prescription Medication Question

n. Any seizure occurring beyond the 6th birthday, unless the applicant has been free of seizures for a period of 5 years while taking no medication for seizure control, and has a normal sleep-deprived electroencephalogram and normal neurology evaluation while taking no medications for seizure control.

Unfortunately it doesn't even matter if it was just one seizure. Per Med Regs it sounds like you would have to be off medications and seizure free for 5 years.

Comment

Working...
    X