X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension of Enlistment Waivers

Most recent NGB update regarding waivers.

SUBJECT:
    Suspension of Enlistment Waivers (ARNG-GSS Policy Memo #12-080)

1. This is an immediate message and requires dissemination to all recruiting personnel.

2. References:

a. Army Regulation 601-210, Active and Reserve Component Enlistment Program dated 8 February 2011, (with operational changes) dated 14 June 2011.

b. SMOM 12-044 dated 9 Apr 2012. (Rescinded).

c. Army G1 memorandum, Suspension of Enlistment Waivers dated 9 April 2012.

3. The purpose of this message is to update the closed waivers for the Army National Guard Waiver.

4. The Army National Guard waiver restrictions listed below are in effect:

a. ALL Categories suspended:

(1) Waivers for Major Misconduct. Waivers for Juvenile Major Misconduct may be considered in meritorious cases with extenuating circumstances; cannot be for Sex Crimes or Drug related offenses.

(2) Waivers for Drug/Alcohol Test (DAT).

(3) Waiver for Misconduct for drug use, possession or drug paraphernalia, to include marijuana, are suspended and are not being considered for enlistment (Adult and Juvenile).

(4) FLRI/09L Army Preparatory School (APS) and GED-Plus cannot have a conduct waiver (any level).

b. Prior Service suspended (PS):

(1) No conduct waiver authorized at any level (limited exception is noted below).

(2) No DAT waivers.

(3) No prior separation/discharge waivers for misconduct or any other type of involuntary discharge that involved misconduct.

(4) No administrative waivers for performance. Other administrative type waivers for Days of Service (DOS) applicants (less than 180 days Active Federal Service (AFS)) such as entry level separation waivers may still be processed.

(5) A TAG level conduct waiver (NOT including DAT or drug waivers) may be considered in meritorious cases for enlistment provided the last period of service was honorable and not less than 2 years have elapsed since the last offense. The Accession Suitability Office will make the determination if the applicant's case should be considered meritorious before it is submitted to TAG for consideration.

Note: PS applicants, who were awarded medals for valor, wounded in combat or completed an honorable term of service (excluding IRR) may be granted an exception to this policy. Submit suitability review exception to the Accession Suitability Office if applicable.

5. Enlistment waivers or the following mental health conditions: mood disorders to include depression and bipolar disorder, drug or alcohol abuse/dependence as reflected in the Diagnostic Statistical Manual IV (DSM IV), overdose of any medication (prescription or over the counter) in a suicide attempt, any condition involving self-mutilation, or any other suicidal attempt or gesture. During the period of the suspension, requests for exceptions will not be considered.

Re: Suspension of Enlistment Waivers

Not surprising whatsoever. LT, thanks for this post. Should answer many of the waiver questions immediately for many individuals wanting to join or re-enter service.

Comment

Sooo what you are saying is that this is current? Also If you served honorably but otherwise possibly had a minor un-drug related infraction during your service that led to you getting a Gen-Under Honorable discharge with 2B and JKN you are branded a person who can't serve their country? Yet If you were basically a juvenile delinquent who shot someone you have more of a chance of being enlisted?? This makes no sense to me whatsoever. And would I be eligible for a TAG waiver? Since I DID serve for nearly four years AND I did have a basically spotless record prior to the discharge.

Comment

After reading it further..I still am unclear on my own situation. HOWEVER I am clear that if someone "honorably" served the military but went out and has a "minor criminal" record that they can apply for a waiver to get back in up to and including Poss. of Marijuana / Paraphernalia, Prostitution and even Domestic Violence. I take serious offense to this as a victim of Domestic Violence (which was a direct cause to my own discharge). So if someone beats on their spouse, is a marijuana abuser or who has committed Criminal offense of a sexual nature is able to get their waivers put to a board but apparently (although in my situation I still don't know the answer) I MAY not be able to serve for a minor misconduct/Gen under Hon. discharge???!!!?? I am incensed!!!! Is this from the administration we voted for???

Comment

Originally posted by raidersman View Post
          After reading it further..I still am unclear on my own situation. HOWEVER I am clear that if someone "honorably" served the military but went out and has a "minor criminal" record that they can apply for a waiver to get back in up to and including Poss. of Marijuana / Paraphernalia, Prostitution and even Domestic Violence. I take serious offense to this as a victim of Domestic Violence (which was a direct cause to my own discharge). So if someone beats on their spouse, is a marijuana abuser or who has committed Criminal offense of a sexual nature is able to get their waivers put to a board but apparently (although in my situation I still don't know the answer) I MAY not be able to serve for a minor misconduct/Gen under Hon. discharge???!!!?? I am incensed!!!! Is this from the administration we voted for???
          You simply learn that life is not fair and timing has a lot to do with things. You also learn to take responsibility for your actions and to not blame others for your predicament. Imagine if you did not have a misconduct discharge? Would your rant be relevant? That is maturity my friend.

So take it with a grain of salt. As everyone knows; I been serving for nearly 23 years and many times things have not gone my way and I could have had (perhaps) faster success if I acted mature and not have a chip of my shoulder.

If you are young; you have many years ahead of you for things to change. Stay positive and utilize your time for more positive achievements and experiences.

Rooster 8 out!

Comment

Originally posted by raidersman View Post
            Sooo what you are saying is that this is current? Also If you served honorably but otherwise possibly had a minor un-drug related infraction during your service that led to you getting a Gen-Under Honorable discharge with 2B and JKN you are branded a person who can't serve their country? Yet If you were basically a juvenile delinquent who shot someone you have more of a chance of being enlisted?? This makes no sense to me whatsoever. And would I be eligible for a TAG waiver? Since I DID serve for nearly four years AND I did have a basically spotless record prior to the discharge.
            This is current within 48 hours of this posting. Secondly, there is no way to placate those individuals who do not meet the enlistment criteria. They will invariably be upset if near future service was their planned intent. To briefly address your Juvenile Major Misconduct comment; it is true that the statistical probability of inducting a applicant who "Burgled a house when he was 14 (as an example)", is higher than the zero probability of inducting a PS applicant who was discharged under a minor bad conduct issue. The basic premise here is society, and the military expect a prior service member to ultimately, "know better". Permenantly penalizing youthful offenders in ALL circumstances when the conduct was during childhood is not comparing 'apples to apples'. Even so, the juvenile exception will be a exceedingly rare occurance, which will involve extrodinary circumstances. I'm sorry you are incensed, but this is not the place to vent your personal frustration with partisan politics. These decisions ultimately made by the SECDEF, COS and the Service Secretaries; although they are service driven.

Comment

I have a question. Right now I am new in my company (Active Duty) but when I took my pre-deployment assessment I get a non - deployable because I was stressed and have a depression. My commander talked to me and he told me I would gonna give to you a Honorable discharge in the Chapter 5-18. Can I re-enlist later in the national guard without problem? Because I want to serve my country.

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
              Most recent NGB update regarding waivers.

SUBJECT:
              Suspension of Enlistment Waivers (ARNG-GSS Policy Memo #12-080)

1. This is an immediate message and requires dissemination to all recruiting personnel.

2. References:

a. Army Regulation 601-210, Active and Reserve Component Enlistment Program dated 8 February 2011, (with operational changes) dated 14 June 2011.

b. SMOM 12-044 dated 9 Apr 2012. (Rescinded).

c. Army G1 memorandum, Suspension of Enlistment Waivers dated 9 April 2012.

3. The purpose of this message is to update the closed waivers for the Army National Guard Waiver.

4. The Army National Guard waiver restrictions listed below are in effect:

a. ALL Categories suspended:

(1) Waivers for Major Misconduct. Waivers for Juvenile Major Misconduct may be considered in meritorious cases with extenuating circumstances; cannot be for Sex Crimes or Drug related offenses.

(2) Waivers for Drug/Alcohol Test (DAT).

(3) Waiver for Misconduct for drug use, possession or drug paraphernalia, to include marijuana, are suspended and are not being considered for enlistment (Adult and Juvenile).

(4) FLRI/09L Army Preparatory School (APS) and GED-Plus cannot have a conduct waiver (any level).

b. Prior Service suspended (PS):

(1) No conduct waiver authorized at any level (limited exception is noted below).

(2) No DAT waivers.

(3) No prior separation/discharge waivers for misconduct or any other type of involuntary discharge that involved misconduct.

(4) No administrative waivers for performance. Other administrative type waivers for Days of Service (DOS) applicants (less than 180 days Active Federal Service (AFS)) such as entry level separation waivers may still be processed.

(5) A TAG level conduct waiver (NOT including DAT or drug waivers) may be considered in meritorious cases for enlistment provided the last period of service was honorable and not less than 2 years have elapsed since the last offense. The Accession Suitability Office will make the determination if the applicant's case should be considered meritorious before it is submitted to TAG for consideration.

Note: PS applicants, who were awarded medals for valor, wounded in combat or completed an honorable term of service (excluding IRR) may be granted an exception to this policy. Submit suitability review exception to the Accession Suitability Office if applicable.

5. Enlistment waivers or the following mental health conditions: mood disorders to include depression and bipolar disorder, drug or alcohol abuse/dependence as reflected in the Diagnostic Statistical Manual IV (DSM IV), overdose of any medication (prescription or over the counter) in a suicide attempt, any condition involving self-mutilation, or any other suicidal attempt or gesture. During the period of the suspension, requests for exceptions will not be considered.

Comment

To be honest there is no blame to be placed on those individuals who by all accounts could never be accepted to any law enforcement or peace officer position that requires a background check of any manner. Moreover, those positions often polygraph individuals as a mandatory part of the pre-screening process. I have passed such steps thus far and have been given a conditional offer of employment. To be clear: I only simply wished to serve my country. I too was a very young individual when I was discharged with my General Discharge. I always felt that it was a "blight" on my past and the circumstances were un-drug related and very minor. There was apparently no other way of classifying the discharge and my commander at the time in fact took a long time with even the decision including the fact that my record up until a month prior was exemplary. I do understand that the military is drawing down in numbers however the prior ARNG memo dated April 2012 was very clear and agreeable if this was to be the case. But the memo that this post is regarding is quite offensive to me. A person with a Criminal history and someone who was simply getting "fired or laid off" for writing a bad check, falling asleep on post have no comparison in any reality. I have worked in HR as well and know that when our company went through the "lean" of the economy we had to make tough decisions including ones in regards to prospective candidates who were applying for openings. I see a commonality for someone who was young and who had served nearly his term but was marred by a minor infraction and someone who was 19 year old kid who committed a juvenile offense. This is just my take on it. I agree with the previous poster it is a matter of "timing". I don't "need" to serve for economic reasons; I WANT to serve because I have a desire to serve my country and clear my job name as well in regards to my discharge for something minor that happened over a decade ago.

Comment

Sanchez, you will be unable to re-enlist into the Guard.

Comment

Raiders,

I can empathize with your situation, and it is unfortunate that regulatory guidance is simply NOT infallable. Ultimately some people "make out" better due to regulatory insufficienies than others. Enlistment guidance does change regularly, and perhaps these current prohibitions won't last forever...but as of today, that is the case.

Additionally, it's important to note that the military at large uses different criteria than law enforcement agencies. Think of it in this light instead: You are applying to a law enforcement position and you disclose that the last time you worked for a law enforcement agency you were let go on less than favorable conditions.
                    That is essentially how the Army regulation views your minor issue. You worked here before, and you were terminated from employment due to a negative "issue". Most employers don't revisit previously discharged employees, and the military is currently no different. It's different than giving someone who has NEVER been an employee a CHANCE to prove himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                      Sanchez, you will be unable to re-enlist into the Guard.
                      +1. The National Guard takes those same surveys. And you said you are new to the company?

Understand people; if you are new to joining the military and then it is found out that you cannot deploy; then that will not best serve the Army's interest. You gave an honest assessment but at the same time, shot yourself in the foot. Especially with levels of suicides; drastic actions are being taken to not put anyone with a mental issue; in a deployed and dangerous environment.
                      Last edited by B.Wood; September 17th, 2012, 02:04 PM.

Comment

OK, so some of the verbiage in the message is Greek to me. If I needed a waiver to get in for a juvenile offense served 3 years, got an Article 15 for Loss of Government Property, re-enlisted served for a total of 8 years (AD) and got out with an Honorable Discharge 1A RE code do I need a waiver for the NG? Am I reading it correctly that I am eligible for a waiver if I need one?

Comment

You should be fine

Comment

Was just on the chat on nationalguard.com and the person said The Army National Guard isn't even giving medical waivers at this time. Is this true? the above policy doesn't specifically say anything about medical waivers?
                            *the rest of my original post I deleted bcz it is irrelevant now...age is my issue :-(
                            Last edited by robinpugs06; October 3rd, 2012, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                              Was just on the chat on nationalguard.com and the person said The Army National Guard isn't even giving medical waivers at this time. Is this true? the above policy doesn't specifically say anything about medical waivers? Now, in my case MEPS PDQed me without me going in for a history of shoulder issues, then the recruiter has to submit paperwork to the Guard Surgeon General to get permission to physical (this isn't a waiver yet) and if that is approved then I can go to MEPS and the DR can then decide to let me enlist or PDQ me and then that is when I would need a waiver.
                              As far as I know, there have been no changes. The above still applies.

Comment

Working...
                              X