X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suspension of Enlistment Waivers

alright so just to be clear. will ANY branch of the military allow for any sort of waiver for a failed MEPS test for marijuana?

and before im asked, yes i know i shoudlvnt have gone, yes i DID tell my recruiter, yes I WAS honest about all dates. and yes, i took TWO in-house piss tests with both the gunnery sgt. and staff sgt. at my recruitment location the day i shipped to meps. both tests i took before meps i passed. and when i say before meps i mean literally like an hour before we left. no there was no secret smoke session or otherwise bs situation. i smoked weed and then tried to join. 35 days later i went to meps and was still hot. wondering if ima perma d'qed.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
      The suspension* means. The the National Guard will not consider/waiver anyone that has tested positive for drugs or alcohol (DAT) at MEPS.

*The suspensions of the mentioned waivers are in effect until further notice.
      Originally posted by burningriot View Post
      alright so just to be clear. will ANY branch of the military allow for any sort of waiver for a failed MEPS test for marijuana?
      This policy is only for the Army National Guard. As for other military branch/component policies, you will have to contact a recruiter from that specific branch of service.

Comment

Any word on moral waivers being accepted?

Comment

My 17-year-old son is interested in joining the Guard however as I read the derective he will not qualify. I just want to be sure that I fully understand correctly.

At 15, he was caught at school with an unsmoked marijuana cigarette. He was not arrested and was not charged by law enforcement. To ensure he understood the seriousness of his choice, I had him issued a civil citation and enrolled in the Teen Court program. Though administered by the state attorney's office, this program is not a standard court - a local attorney acts as a moderator/judge and juveniles in similar circumstances pass judgement and set punishment (drug testing, community service, essays, jury duty). When he completed the program his record was expunged. That was his only discipline issue (though one I did not take lightly)

Am I correct that because of my action to nip any potential trouble by placing him in the Teen Court program, he is now ineligiable for enlistment?

Comment

This is more than worthy to pursue. I'm not even convinced it requires a waiver.

Comment

I have a quick question in regards to a DAT waiver. I served for 3 months and never completed basic. I had a medical discharge under honorable conditions. I was discharged in the end of 2003, I tried to re-enlist in 2005 and I received my medical waiver but then I failed my piss test with marijuana in my system. Since then I have stayed clean. The only thing that ever made sense in my life was the military. Is there any chance that I can re-enlist? I will jump through whatever hoops and I know that the road may have obstacles but I am willing and dedicated to try anything to get back in.

Comment

• SF Hunter
                SF Hunter commented
                Editing a comment
                The the National Guard will not consider/waiver* anyone that has tested positive for drugs or alcohol (DAT) at MEPS.

*The suspension of the mentioned waiver is in effect until further notice.

This is horrible news. Someone with only a misdemeanor possession charge should be able to join. They never hurt anyone or stole anything. That is rediculous.

Comment

• SF Hunter
                SF Hunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Testing positive for drugs at MEPS has nothing to do with a possession charge.

But, a possession charge only means that the individual decided to ignore the law and had possession of an illegal substance...no big deal. Testing positive for drugs during the enlistment process means that the individual was currently using illegal drugs and has a true lack of judgement.
                Last edited by SF Hunter; 3 weeks ago.

I have an entry-level separation, Chapter 11, Sepn Code JGA, RE-3. Is there any possibility that I could get a waiver?

Comment

• pfhoffman
                pfhoffman commented
                Editing a comment
                I should have mentioned, it has been 15 months since I was separated

Your type of discharge does qualify for a waiver. But, as to whether your respective state is authorizing waivers for the discharge is another story. Only a local Army National Guard Recruiter would be able to provide you with accurate state specific options and requirements.

If you are ready to contact a recruiter, you can call 1-800-GO-GUARD (1-800-464-8273) or fill out the Contact a Recruiter Form at: https://www.nationalguard.com/get-started/

Comment

I know i am probably beating a dead horse but a prior service with a RE-3 for first time drug offence is not eligible to join according to the new suspension rules? The facts are that I had 9 1/2 years in, i was an E-5 and it was 1998, I had a momentary lapse of judgement at a party and did not know i could have done a rehab course. Thank You in advance for any help. it was under NGR 600-200 PARA 8-26E (2) (A).
                An Honorable discharge, my 2nd, first from my dd214 for 4 years active duty
                Last edited by Nausetsurfer; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

• SF Hunter
                  SF Hunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you were discharged for either misconduct or positive DAT, then you would not be eligible for re-enlistment. Waivers for both are still suspended. But, it is still always best to confirm with a local Army National Guard recruiter

Thank you for the info, I will go to my old armory and ask, they have changed it to a recruiter unit , I think I'm just having a mid life crisis lol, but as the saying goes it doesn't hurt to ask

Comment

I do have one question for you SF, if you say I have no chance because of the new suspension regs, why would you tell me to check with my local recruiter?

Comment

• SF Hunter
                    SF Hunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Im just telling you to hear it from the horse's mouth. Because most people come onto forums to hear what they want to hear.

Thank you for your honest opinion. I do want to know what my chances are.

Comment

Working...
                  X