Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numerous questions.

Hello,
    I am looking at joining the Guard and I have several questions. I spoke to the recruiter and I wanted to make sure what he said was correct in my case. I want to be an officer in the chemical corp. I was told I could go to BCT then go directly to OCS, but then they would put me wherever a officer was needed. They said my best bet was to go the enlisted route then I could apply for the compressed OCS course in my state. Does this seem like the most fesible route for my goals? My first question is, can I get my in my contract to go from BCT to AIT then go to OCS in the following summer? And how concrete is the contract ? I A friend of mine got selected to go from enlisted to SF and inot OCS and he made it sound like he got it all in his contract before he shipped to BCT. Also, as far as OCS, I had been pursuing a direct commsison with the the reserves and they said that the selection board only meets once or twice a year. How does the OCS process work for the guard? I was told that there is a selection board but they meet more frequently and it sounded like it was less competetive to get into the guard OCS however the course was much harder due to being compressed into 8 weeks. I was also told that only doctors and pHDs typicaly are able get direct commsions. In any event, the way the recruiter made it sound was it would make it easier to get placed back within your original MOS since you came from there. As far as the chemical corps, what kind of duties could I expect to have, both as an enlisted and as an officer? I am also interested in the student loan repayment program, and I was told that it was contingent on the needs of the guard , meaning that if you choose a MOS that was in need then you were eligible. How and when does the loan repayment program kick in? A friend of mine told also told me to wait until October 1 because that is when the guard has the most money. Why would that be? Finally, as I was talking to the recruiter I asked him about the nature of deployments in the fields that I am interested in. I know that deployments happen, and it would be foolish to think otherwise, but he mentioned that deployments dont happen as much as they used to. I didnt really get the meaning of that.

I know that I have posted alot of questions here. But serving my country means alot to me and I have put alot of time and effort to get this far. I just want to make certain that I dont get snowballed by being un informed. I would appreciate any and all info that anyone has to offer. Thank you in advance and I am sure I will have more questions later.

Re: Numerous questions.

Originally posted by EasternShoreman View Post
    Hello,
    I am looking at joining the Guard and I have several questions. I spoke to the recruiter and I wanted to make sure what he said was correct in my case. I want to be an officer in the chemical corp. I was told I could go to BCT then go directly to OCS, but then they would put me wherever a officer was needed. They said my best bet was to go the enlisted route then I could apply for the compressed OCS course in my state. Does this seem like the most fesible route for my goals? My first question is, can I get my in my contract to go from BCT to AIT then go to OCS in the following summer? And how concrete is the contract ? I A friend of mine got selected to go from enlisted to SF and inot OCS and he made it sound like he got it all in his contract before he shipped to BCT. Also, as far as OCS, I had been pursuing a direct commsison with the the reserves and they said that the selection board only meets once or twice a year. How does the OCS process work for the guard? I was told that there is a selection board but they meet more frequently and it sounded like it was less competetive to get into the guard OCS however the course was much harder due to being compressed into 8 weeks. I was also told that only doctors and pHDs typicaly are able get direct commsions. In any event, the way the recruiter made it sound was it would make it easier to get placed back within your original MOS since you came from there. As far as the chemical corps, what kind of duties could I expect to have, both as an enlisted and as an officer? I am also interested in the student loan repayment program, and I was told that it was contingent on the needs of the guard , meaning that if you choose a MOS that was in need then you were eligible. How and when does the loan repayment program kick in? A friend of mine told also told me to wait until October 1 because that is when the guard has the most money. Why would that be? Finally, as I was talking to the recruiter I asked him about the nature of deployments in the fields that I am interested in. I know that deployments happen, and it would be foolish to think otherwise, but he mentioned that deployments dont happen as much as they used to. I didnt really get the meaning of that.

I know that I have posted alot of questions here. But serving my country means alot to me and I have put alot of time and effort to get this far. I just want to make certain that I dont get snowballed by being un informed. I would appreciate any and all info that anyone has to offer. Thank you in advance and I am sure I will have more questions later.
    OK. You certainly did ask a lot of questions. Lets do this. Take a look at the OCS on the National Guard website. It can answer your most basic questions about what OCS is, and the different options you have to become an Officer. If there are a few of your basic questions that aren't answered (which should only a be a few), go ahead and post them again in a more condensed manner. It will be easier to help you if you can narrow down what you're looking for.

As far as enlisting first, I would ask your recruiter why they suggested this. This would mean attending BCT and AIT instead of going directly to OCS when you finish BCT. Is it a slotting issue for the Chemical branch?

The regular SLRP is available for enlisted Soldiers, and the payments begin once they become MOS qualified. However, if you later become commissioned, you will lose this incentive. If you come in directly as an Officer (i.e. go to OCS instead of AIT), then you would not be eligible for the regular SLRP, but rather the O9S SLRP. You would not be allowed to take any other incentive with the O9S incentive. I have posted some stickies outlining all the available incentives under the Benefits section of the forum. I suggest you check it out: Benefits

Your friend is correct about the increase in the military budget on October 1st. This is because it is the start of the new Fiscal Year.

Again, I would recommend looking around on the National Guard website as well as this forum. There's a lot of information that will help answer your questions.

Comment

Thank you for the input. I found someone who can put me in contact with an officer strength manager for the Maryland Guard so I will hopefully get some anwers about what kind of officer slots are available in this state. I have begun to comb through the website and it has alot of info and the stickies in the benefits section help alot. As far as the SLRP if a person were to start off as enlisted and go to AIT then into the AOCS, would they then qualify for the O9S SLRP, or would the loan repayment option be gone?

Comment

The loan option would be gone. You would need to enlist under the O9S enlistment option to qualify for the O9S SLRP. This is the reason this incentive was created so that those wanting to commission had SLRP available without double dipping somewhere else.

I'm glad you found the information helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions about what you're reading.

Comment

Working...
        X