X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiver Question

I have met with Recruiter and filled out all documents needed to enlist as well as Physical and Asvab. Back a few years, I enlisted in the Air National Guard. However, I attended a couple of drills and due to some family circumstances I asked to be released. It was approved with an honorable discharge. The Army national guard recruiter told me everything looks good I just need to do a little bit extra paperwork and get a waiver approved for my prior service. I had to write a letter stating why I want to join the Guard and then I also had to get 3 references/recommendations. I just completed that information and submitted it.

Now that I explained all that, my question is does anyone know how long it will take for this to get approved so I can finally go and enlist? The recruiter said he would expect about a month. Anyone else have any experience with this that would know. The recruiter did say he didn't see a problem with it, just a step I need to take since I was discharged from a prior branch without going to basic training.

Re: Waiver Question

There's really no time frame for waivers. But your recruiter likely has more of an idea of how long these things take, so I would ultimately refer to them.

Good luck with your enlistment!

Comment

Re: Waiver Question

Originally posted by dsheckie View Post
      I have met with Recruiter and filled out all documents needed to enlist as well as Physical and Asvab. Back a few years, I enlisted in the Air National Guard. However, I attended a couple of drills and due to some family circumstances I asked to be released. It was approved with an honorable discharge. The Army national guard recruiter told me everything looks good I just need to do a little bit extra paperwork and get a waiver approved for my prior service. I had to write a letter stating why I want to join the Guard and then I also had to get 3 references/recommendations. I just completed that information and submitted it.

Now that I explained all that, my question is does anyone know how long it will take for this to get approved so I can finally go and enlist? The recruiter said he would expect about a month. Anyone else have any experience with this that would know. The recruiter did say he didn't see a problem with it, just a step I need to take since I was discharged from a prior branch without going to basic training.
      dsheckie,

I was in an Air Guard unit, made it to 4th week and was discharged for having a tattoo visible in my dress uniform. I was a top pt contender and honor grad candidate. That being said, I went to the Army for active duty as well as army guard. AD army said that since I was non prior service with days of service (drill dates leading up to bct and 4 weeks into bet) that I fall under the standard of 'prior service' and that I was not allowed to choose my MOS. I want combat arms, 89d or 19d, and was told neither of them would be available for me, and I had to be subject to needs of the army, which were mostly admin jobs.

I spoke to an army guard recruiter, he said he could get my 19d slot for me. Started the paperwork over 2 months ago. I am within regs for all my tats and the waiver game has been over 2 months. It really depends on the speed of the recruiters. From what I have read here, they have to do a lot more paperwork, and you know how much fun paperwork is...

That being said, it is a hurry up and wait game. Submit your papers and get started sooner than later. Good luck bud!

Comment

Working...
      X