X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I join

The doctor said I had ADHD when I was a child. I have not taken meds for it in over 10 years, I am 20 now and I have a 4.0 in college. The army told me no because of the ADHD however; I have gotten a medical waiver saying I do not have ADHD anymore, is it possble for me to join?

Re: Can I join

Originally posted by march 18 View Post
    The doctor said I had ADHD when I was a child. I have not taken meds for it in over 10 years, I am 20 now and I have a 4.0 in college. The army told me no because of the ADHD however; I have gotten a medical waiver saying I do not have ADHD anymore, is it possble for me to join?
    A medical waiver is something the military would give you that would allow you to join. Do you mean you have gotten medical documentation from your doctor?
    Your best bet would be to bring your medical documents to a recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by march 18 View Post
      Actually, based on what you've posted, you have a better chance of enlisting than most with ADHD. Here's what the Medical Standards say:

"a. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) (314) [is a disqualification] UNLESS the following criteria
      are met:
      (1) The applicant has not required an Individualized Education Program or work
      accommodations since the age of 14.
      (2) There is no history of comorbid mental disorders.
      (3) The applicant has never taken more than a single daily dosage of medication or has
      not been prescribed medication for this condition for more than 24 cumulative months after the
      age of 14.
      (4) During periods off of medication after the age of 14, the applicant has been able to
      maintain at least a 2.0 grade point average without accommodations.
      (5) Documentation from the applicant’s prescribing provider that continued medication
      is not required for acceptable occupational or work performance.
      6) Applicant is required to enter service and pass Service-specific training periods with
      no prescribed medication for ADHD."

Having your civilian doctor validate your condition will only help your case. I would go ahead and talk with your recruiter to see where you stand! If you don't have one, here's where you can get connected to one: Pre-Qualification form

Comment

I had a medical waiver from the army, they said meps never got back to them so I waited three months and still they said meps never got back to them I thought that was there way of saying no.

Comment

Not necessarily. MEPS may have many other waivers to deal with. There's no time frame on waivers, so be sure to check back with your recruiter frequently.

Comment

Working...
          X