X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• medical waiver

A little about my self, I'm 32 and i just graduated from the university of Arizona with a Bachelors in political science and a minor in Arabic. I i was shot twice back in 2001 and have a chunk lodged by my spine, a little nerve damage but otherwise ok. The condition hasn't worsened at all and im in very good shape. am i able to get in on a medical waiver?

also i have a thyroid condition and take meds and have low testosterone so i have to take shots once a week, both by doc prescription. Will those disqualify me?

Re: medical waiver

Both medical issues are a disqualification, though you may be able to get a waiver for your back if you can show that you have full range of motion and are able to properly perform the APFT.

Keep in mind that you would not be able to take most medications (i.e. shots for your thyroid and testosterone) during training. If you are not able to sustain your health without this medication, I highly doubt you will be able to get a waiver for it.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
      Both medical issues are a disqualification, though you may be able to get a waiver for your back if you can show that you have full range of motion and are able to properly perform the APFT.

Keep in mind that you would not be able to take most medications (i.e. shots for your thyroid and testosterone) during training. If you are not able to sustain your health without this medication, I highly doubt you will be able to get a waiver for it.
      what if i switch to oral versions?

Comment

Originally posted by whitegato777 View Post
        what if i switch to oral versions?
        Same thing applies. I know that some medications are allowed, but I don't know which ones. You'd have to verify with a recruiter and/or with MEPS.

As I've said in the past, it never hurts to talk to a recruiter and see what your options are! I would expect that at a very minimum you would still need a waiver for your medication, if they would even consider you enlisting at all with your condition. Keep in mind that this is not said to discourage you, but to let you know that, realistically, training is hard. You may not have access to any amenities for long periods of time, and you'll need to be able to function without such. This is something you should consider as you look into committing to the military.

Keep us posted. I would be interested to hear what your recruiter says.

Comment

I wss thinking what if i was able to successfully come off both meds. Can i get something to show them so i dont need s waiver?

Comment

I wss thinking what if i was able to successfully come off both meds. Can i get something to show them so i dont need s waiver?
            The chunk lodged in your spine would most likely be your biggest hurdle.

Comment

Honestly, this isn't even worth a med read. Until China invades the western US, this won't be qualifiable.

Comment

Back in 2000...I know a long time ago for some folks. I was going to join the Guard and was upfront about two pins in my right knee with my recruiter. I was hit by a car on guard duty while on Active duty and tore my ACL. He knew the complications MEPS would have with that, waiver process..etc. So, he arranged for me to go through my physical with National Guard troops at the Armory when they were getting their annual physical. It's the same category physical as MEPS and I was honest about my knee and had a 06 sign my physical as passing with flying colors.

Is this still something that could be done for folks like me that have issues with their knees, or pins in their body somewhere, when the recuriter knows MEPS will be difficult? I should also mention that I was in excellent physical shape and a runner, so I think being in good shape helped.
                Last edited by DCE; November 2nd, 2012, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DCE View Post
                  Back in 2000...I know a long time ago for some folks. I was going to join the Guard and was upfront about two pins in my right knee with my recruiter. I was hit by a car on guard duty while on Active duty and tore my ACL. He knew the complications MEPS would have with that, waiver process..etc. So, he arranged for me to go through my physical with National Guard troops at the Armory when they were getting their annual physical. It's the same category physical as MEPS and I was honest about my knee and had a 06 sign my physical as passing with flying colors.

Is this still something that could be done for folks like me that have issues with their knees, or pins in their body somewhere, when the recuriter knows MEPS will be difficult? I should also mention that I was in excellent physical shape and a runner, so I think being in good shape helped.
                  The current Medical Standards state:

"(2) Current retained hardware (including plates, pins, rods, wires, or screws) used for
                  fixation that is symptomatic or interferes with proper wearing of equipment or military uniform.
                  Retained hardware is not disqualifying if fractures are healed, ligaments are stable, and there is
                  no pain."

If you have issues with the statements in bold, then you won't likely qualify for a waiver. Otherwise, it sounds like you are in a good position to qualify! I would recommend getting with a recruiter you can work with. If you don't have one, here's how to get connected to one: Pre-Qualificaiton form

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                    The chunk lodged in your spine would most likely be your biggest hurdle.
                    the accident was 12 years ago. would it even show up if they did a search?

Comment

i did a search on army reserves and the thyroid meds wont matter depending on the position im going for. im looking into intelligence or translating. so wouldn't their be a same application for the guard?

Comment

i did a search on army reserves and the thyroid meds wont matter depending on the position im going for. im looking into intelligence or translating. so wouldn't their be a same application for the guard?
                        Here's what I've found on the thyroid from the Medical Standards. The following are disqualifications:

"e. Current or history of hyperparathyroidism (252.0) or hypoparathyroidism (252.1).
                        f. The following thyroid disorders:
                        (1) Current goiter (240).
                        (2) Current hypothyroidism (244) uncontrolled by medication.
                        (3) Current or history of hyperthyroidism (242.9).
                        (4) Current thyroiditis (245)."

Ultimately, it will be up to MEPS on if your condition will be a disqualification and/or require a waiver. Let me know what the outcome is! I'm interested to know.

Comment

Working...
                        X