Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlisting...

Hello,

I'm looking foward to enlisting into the NJ National Guard and I'm turning 17 this September 10th which is the date I can legally enlist with parental consent. Now I have a few questions.

I'm going into Senior year, I wish I was already 17 going on 18 so last school year I could've done the STO program during 'this' Summer and proceeded into BCT in the Summer and AIT after Senior year but it happens that I'm a bit younger than the others so that kind of delayed me.

I want to know what it will be like going to the National Guard office and enlisting, will I have to take my oath at the office after I sign myself away? Will I be all setup with BCT after my Senior year, I'm just not sure how it would work, that's why I need your guys help. Will I get a temp Military I.D. after I enlist or is that at MEPS, or BCT? I also want to know when I would attend MEPS in the event I do enlist and I still need to finish my Senior year and graduate.

My MOS choice would have to be Military Police or Special Forces (Which would be in the future of my Military career, probably will flunk it, oh well I will give it a shot if I can! Always aspired to become a Delta Operator. )

Re: Enlisting...

What's a delta operator? Is that who I call to make reservations to fly?

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
      Whenever I call them to talk about my itinerary I am always on hold for at least 20 minutes. We should definately put this recruit in that slot so I can get a little better customer service.

Comment

OP,

You can go to MEPS for your physical any time after the 10th of this month, assuming your parents are cooperating. You can physical and take your oath of enlistment the same day, and you'll be assigned to one of your state's RSP locations to perform drill until you graduate HS next spring and then ship to both Basic and AIT next summer.

Comment

Also, you should get a Military ID at RSP or, if not there, definitely in BCT. In other words, you'll get it once you've completed MEPS, the ASVAB test, and have officially signed your contract and swore in.

Good luck!

Comment

As far as what is it like going into the Recruiters Office... should be very relaxed, nothing to worry about. They ask questions to see if you pre qualify to enlist. You can also do that questionairre here on this website. Any trouble with the law, any physical issues, and other basic things like that. Once you start to fill out the enlistment papers it goes a little more indepth...where you have lived and worked so far, who your family members are... any phisical tramas, illnesses, defects.... Do you take any meds. Recruiter lets you know if you qualify. Then they make an appointment for you at MEPS to do some more of the same type of paperwork and a physical. And take the ASVAB (placement test, some places do it at MEPS, some do it at another site). Recruiter also goes over with you openings in your area for the jobs you are interested in. Then you go to that MEPS appointment, do their little circus of fun, and sign that dotted line. Wait for your date to leave for Basic and AIT. While waiting and after you sign, you are attached to a Recruit Sustainment unit (RSP) that you attend one weekend a month. Go to BAsic and Ait consecutively...come back home, your RSP unit hands you off to your assigned unit.

When I went to my Recruiter initially I let him know my expectations. Of course in a very repectful way. I let him know I was still deciding a few things, I just wanted to pre qualify and find a few answers to some questions, that i'd get back to him. I was very pleased with that part of the proces. He or she will be more than happy to include your parents in on the meetings. I suggest you take them with you in fact. When included a person feels more at ease about decisions. Good luck!

And as you have read some of these forums and the problems some have, stay out of trouble in the meantime! If you have no infractions against you, keep it that way! It is getting harder and harder to get in, keeping your record and body clean is the only way to make it happen. Put some of your energy into working out to make the future easier on you.
            Last edited by WIBecky74; September 4th, 2012, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
              Also, you should get a Military ID at RSP or, if not there, definitely in BCT. In other words, you'll get it once you've completed MEPS, the ASVAB test, and have officially signed your contract and swore in.

Good luck!

This was back before CAC, but when I left Basic Training, they took my ID (the blue one..or green, I can't remember). Do you know if they still take your ID after leaving Basic?

Comment

They issue you an ACtive Duty one at Basic. Yes you turn that one in. If you have a NG CAC from RSP you keep that. One thing that happends at Initial Training is you turn in that AD card, get to the airport and realize you dont have a form of ID on you now. Have a civilian ID with you!

I like your quote about irrational thought. I think too much in my head when I dont know the entire story, but I dont think its always ignorance that causes it, good quote nontheless!
                Last edited by WIBecky74; September 4th, 2012, 11:16 AM.

Comment

They don't take your CAC away from you any more when you get to training, nor do they take it from you when you leave. They actually expect all NG soldiers to show up with an ID card already, if not, the state gets a nasty gram from the training post about why they sent someone down without one.
                  Last edited by HR NCO; September 4th, 2012, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                    Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                    Whenever I call them to talk about my itinerary I am always on hold for at least 20 minutes. We should definately put this recruit in that slot so I can get a little better customer service.
                    Thank you everyone for your input and information to further help me understand the process into the National Guard.

I'm surprised you didn't understand what I said, a Delta Operator... I don't know if you were just joking around or you didn't get what I meant.
                    "The term "operator" describes one specific individual—a Delta Force member who has completed selection and has graduated OTC (Operators Training Course)." Credits: Wiki

Thus all I put together was 'Delta-Operator', referring to what I would like to become, although other special operations forces have also adopted the term “operator.” I just put the two words together so you would get the point of which Special Forces I would like to attempt to enter.
                    Last edited by MrNJStrong; September 4th, 2012, 03:49 PM. Reason: Fix

Comment

Originally posted by MrNJStrong View Post
                      Thank you everyone for your input and information to further help me understand the process into the National Guard.

I'm surprised you didn't understand what I said, a Delta Operator...
                      "The term "operator" describes one specific individual—a Delta Force member who has completed selection and has graduated OTC (Operators Training Course)." Credits: Wiki

Thus all I put together was 'Delta-Operator', referring to what I would like to become, although other special operations forces have also adopted the term “operator.” I just put the two words together so you would get the point of which Special Forces I would like to attempt to enter.
                      No.

We understood, and we are making fun of you. Everyone "wants" to be Delta except rarely does an applicant actually undertand what that means. I watched alot of movies before I joined also, so I enlisted with the ninja option on my contract. I was really REALLY close to getting through the training. I just couldn't catch that darn fly with the chopsticks.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                        No.

We understood, and we are making fun of you. Everyone "wants" to be Delta except rarely does an applicant actually undertand what that means. I watched alot of movies before I joined also, so I enlisted with the ninja option on my contract. I was really REALLY close to getting through the training. I just couldn't catch that darn fly with the chopsticks.
                        Oh, that was my fault. I had the feeling in the back of my head it was a joke. Oh well, I know my information about the Special Forces and what it takes to actually become a part of them, I never said I have what it takes or that I will even attempt to join, I may or may not if I ever have that option. I would much rather proceed into Military Police.

Comment

Sorry for double post but I have another question if you guys could help me out. So once I'm enlisted and everything goes according to plan, I want my MOS to be Military Police (hopefully) but while in the National Guard would I still be able to go to the college I want or would I have to take classes on a base? I would like to enroll into the James Jay Criminal Justice college of NYC and study Law Enforcement and Counter Terrorism to further myself for my Law Enforcement career-path I would like to take place after my service within the National Guard. I want to ultimately become a New Jersey State Trooper or a local LEO.

If anyone could help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

You can attend college anywhere. Online courses are helpful when you can do your work on your time (not all allow you to do that) and work around weekend training and such. Most schools will work with you on your military obligation, it might even be one of your questions to them before enrolling. MANY soldiers attend college because of the 'free' money you get for it, it doesnt hurt to ask around for ones they are using that are military friendly. There is a post in here somewhere that people listed military friendly schools if i remember correctly. If not and you arent for sure set on that school you mentioned in NYC, start a post and they will let you know!

Comment

Originally posted by MrNJStrong View Post
                              Sorry for double post but I have another question if you guys could help me out. So once I'm enlisted and everything goes according to plan, I want my MOS to be Military Police (hopefully) but while in the National Guard would I still be able to go to the college I want or would I have to take classes on a base? I would like to enroll into the James Jay Criminal Justice college of NYC and study Law Enforcement and Counter Terrorism to further myself for my Law Enforcement career-path I would like to take place after my service within the National Guard. I want to ultimately become a New Jersey State Trooper or a local LEO.

If anyone could help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated!
                              Start with step one, do any of these apply to you? NJSP Automatic Disqualifiers.

1.If you were ever convicted of an indictable offense or are presently under an indictable conviction expungement.

2.A conviction of any offense involving domestic violence.

3.A conviction of any offense involving a "controlled dangerous substance."

4.A conviction of any offense involving public office, position or employment (i.e., school board, township committee, etc.).

5.If you were adjudicated to have committed an act of juvenile delinquency. "Juvenile delinquency" here means the commission of an act which, if committed by an adult, would constitute an indictable offense.

6.If you were adjudicated by a court or found by an employer to have violated any person's civil rights in this State or any other State.

7.If you are currently on probation or have ever been on probation at any time within the last 12 months in this State or any other State for an indictable offense or felony.

8.If you participated in a program of supervisory treatment or pretrial intervention for an indictable offense under N.J.S.A. 2C:43-12 or an out-of state equivalent.

9.If you have been convicted of driving while intoxicated two times or once within five years in this State or any other State.

10.If your driving privilege is currently revoked or suspended in New Jersey or in any other State. This does not include an administrative medical suspension.

11.If you were dishonorably discharged from any branch of military service or law enforcement agency.

12.If you have ever renounced your United States citizenship.

13.If you are currently subject to a final domestic violence restraining order.

14.If you were ever terminated or asked to resign from a public office, position, or government employment for misconduct involving such public office, position, or employment.

15.If you have used marijuana or hashish within the past three years.

16.If you, within the past ten years, have possessed or used any other illegal drug or drugs, including anabolic steroids, other than those prescribed or provided by a physician or purchased over the counter.

17.If you have sold, or provided an illegal drug to another person in your life.

18.If you have manufactured an illegal drug at any time in your life.

19.If your driving privileges have been revoked or suspended in any state within the past two years or if your driving privileges have been revoked or suspended more than three times. This does not include an administrative medical suspension.

20.If you had a warrant issued for your arrest, including a bench warrant for failure to appear in court, for a motor vehicle offense OR any criminal charge in any state three or more times.

21.If you pled guilty or been found guilty of any motor vehicle moving violation five or more times within the past two years.

Comment

Working...
                              X