X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Guard worth joining?

I want to join the Guard but people are telling me that A) Downsizing is a issue for new enlistees. B) The Guard does not want new people and there is a long waiting list.
    Is this true? I was looking at 68W and 88M.

Re: Is the Guard worth joining?

National Guard force structure is facing no downsizing to speak of. We may not go as far over-strength as we have in the past, however.

The Guard always wants the right people, so if you have something to offer, I encourage you to apply.

Comment

Question is inconsistent with your actual question. How you going to come to a pro-Army National Guard forum and ask if it is worth joining? Expecting to hear, "noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, you wasting your time! go away and come back in four years!"

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
        Question is inconsistent with your actual question. How you going to come to a pro-Army National Guard forum and ask if it is worth joining? Expecting to hear, "noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, you wasting your time! go away and come back in four years!"
        He has a point...of course we are going to encourage you to not join!! You're on a pro-ARNG forum, lol. I haven't found anything horrendous about the guard. The army is what you make of it. If you start off with the right attitude and walk in on a positive note then it can carry you as far as you want it to.

Comment

The only thing I can add is that you may not get the MOS you want if there isn't a need for it in the units you would be assigned to. Best bet is to talk to a recruiter!

Comment

Originally posted by gheart68w View Post
            The only thing I can add is that you may not get the MOS you want if there isn't a need for it in the units you would be assigned to. Best bet is to talk to a recruiter!
            You only get an unwanted MOS if you choose it. So, you obviously wanted it.

You can always wait for a slot to open up.

Comment

Working...
            X