X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding medical history

I am considering joining the guard and I had a few questions regarding my medical history and if I will be disqualified.

At the age of 10 years old I was in a car accident and my spleen had to be removed. Its not like a kidney or anything and you can live without it. Would that be something that could disqualify me? I am looking to join the National Guard to pursue a career in logistics. I have a BS in logistics from Maine Maritime Academy.

I would appreciate any helpful advice.

Re: Question regarding medical history

The good news is you may still qualify to join with your medical history. Where are you living now since graduation from MMA?

Daniel Landers
    Second Lieutenant
    Gold Bar Recruiter
    Recruiting and Retention Battalion
    Maine Army National Guard

Comment

Originally posted by jnorm1988 View Post
      I am considering joining the guard and I had a few questions regarding my medical history and if I will be disqualified.

At the age of 10 years old I was in a car accident and my spleen had to be removed. Its not like a kidney or anything and you can live without it. Would that be something that could disqualify me? I am looking to join the National Guard to pursue a career in logistics. I have a BS in logistics from Maine Maritime Academy.

I would appreciate any helpful advice.

Since your spleen was removed due to trauma, you should be eligible to enlist. Here's what the Medical Standards state (DoDi 6130-03):

"f. Spleen
      (1) Current splenomegaly (789.2).
      (2) History of splenectomy (P41.5) (CPT 38100-38129), except when resulting from
      trauma."

With a BS, are you considering becoming an Officer?

Comment

Best of luck to you.

Comment

the process of diagnosing and treating cardiovascular disease is a visit with your doctor to discuss your risk factors for developing cardiac disease, as well as any cardiac symptoms you may be having. As a part of this office visit, your physician will ask you about your personal and family medical history.

Comment

Originally posted by eusebio21 View Post
            the process of diagnosing and treating cardiovascular disease is a visit with your doctor to discuss your risk factors for developing cardiac disease, as well as any cardiac symptoms you may be having. As a part of this office visit, your physician will ask you about your personal and family medical history.
            Um, what does cardiac disease have to do with losing a spleen?

Comment

Working...
            X