Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

A questoin about a psych evaluation and possible review.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A questoin about a psych evaluation and possible review.

I am a Kentucky applicant to the national guard. Because I have two DUIs (2006 and 2008) I had to submit a moral waiver to NGB as the first part of my application process. The waiver was a approved and I passed my physical. I thought everything was going fine but at the end of the second day I was informed that I was being referred for a psych evaluation due to my DUIs. I wasn't worried about the evaluations since as a master's candidate in clinical psychology I frequently due alcohol evaluations. Six days passed and I received a letter in the mail stating that I was DQed based on the results of my evaluations. I requested my evaluation file and began reviewing it. It appears that I was given a diagnosis of alcohol abuse based on the DUIs. This leads me to my actual questions. Where and how can I request my evaluation be reviewed. The diagnosis of alcohol abuse requires two event to occur within a 12 months period (per the DSM 4) and my DUIs were almost two years apart. Second I would like to confirm that alcohol abuse is currently a non waivable DQ. I had heard that NGB has enacted a blanket policy of no psych waivers but Im not certain that is true either. Looking for imformation as both the clinic where is was evaluated and MEPS are both telling me I need to work through the other to resolve this issue.

Re: A questoin about a psych evaluation and possible review.

MEPS and NGB don't go by the DSM. It goes by AR 40-1. Also, there is a catch all reg, which goes along the lines of "Current or history of other mental disorders that in the opinion of the civilian or military provider will interfere with, or prevent satisfactory performance of military duty, are disqualifying." 2 DUIs in two years although doesn't meet DSM standards of alcohol abuse, it probably shot off a few red flags with MEPS.

Now on to your actual questions. 1)You can't appeal it, MEPS doesn't "care" what you think, just what the shrink thought. 2)If your recruiter said no psych waivers then no psych waivers, there is no reason for a recruiter not to tell factual information, he/she already sold you on the guard, its just government red tape at this point. Think of the MEPS process as a risk assessment, you are too high of a risk for the military when there are other guys without psych or moral issues.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I appreciate help wherever I find it. While not what I hoping to hear, but I can't say I'm surprised. I would like yo ask you another question if you don't mind. Are you aware of any means of getting a re-evaluation. My recruiter has been awesome from the word go and busted his hump to help me out, but he seems to have exhausted his resources/expertise. I've spoken to someone at MEPS command and they mentioned that there maybe be ways of getting a re-evaluation and encouraged me to continue self-advocating if I felt strongly about my decision to join the guard. He quickly brainstormed some ideas, such as self-financing a second opinion ect. While I recognize that my current problem was brought on entirely by my actions, I am not one to give up without exhausting all options. Actually returning to my education, getting my MS in clinical psychology as well as becoming a ANG applicant are both part of my efforts to put my past behind me and make amends for my childish mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by dva5222 View Post
        MEPS and NGB don't go by the DSM. It goes by AR 40-1. Also, there is a catch all reg, which goes along the lines of "Current or history of other mental disorders that in the opinion of the civilian or military provider will interfere with, or prevent satisfactory performance of military duty, are disqualifying." 2 DUIs in two years although doesn't meet DSM standards of alcohol abuse, it probably shot off a few red flags with MEPS.

Now on to your actual questions. 1)You can't appeal it, MEPS doesn't "care" what you think, just what the shrink thought. 2)If your recruiter said no psych waivers then no psych waivers, there is no reason for a recruiter not to tell factual information, he/she already sold you on the guard, its just government red tape at this point. Think of the MEPS process as a risk assessment, you are too high of a risk for the military when there are other guys without psych or moral issues.
        That's a fantastic reply.

Comment

Working...
        X