X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can the deaf join the national guard?

I am trying to find out if I will be able to join the guard, because as it turns out I am 75% deaf in my left ear. I went to mepps 7-8 weeks ago and passed all of the physical requirments accept my hearing test. the doctors told me I had very little hearing in my left ear, but that I should have no problem getting a medical waiver. Two weeks later my recruiter finally sent my waiver in.
    Fast forward 5-6 weeks and I have still not heard anything. My recruiter has not responded to text or phone calls in 3 weeks. she is never at the office either, so I have nobody to really ask any questions and I am starting to get the feeling that i am not worth the effort and that she has a pretty good idea as to weather or not i will be accepted. (really want a new recruiter at this point, but i am not sure if switching is frowned apon.) so bottom line, does a 29 year old functionally deaf man have a chance of joining the guard?
    thanks

Re: can the deaf join the national guard?

I would contact another recruiter in her office or speak to a different recruiter and have them get your file from her. Sounds like you may be getting snow balled. If MEPS said you can get a waiver then you hopefully can get one. But I would start by contacting your recruiting office and telling them you would like to move on to another office.

Comment

Obviously we are not looking at your audiology print out, but if the level of disability is as significant as you indicate, a waiver will not be approved.

Comment

75% in one ear. This basically means your hearing is almost half useless. And obviously a soldier's senses are one of his most important assets. Considering hearing loss is one of the most common injuries/conditions that troops have suffered from on the battlefield, you would already be starting off with a "disability" in the military's book.

I am leaning toward a big NO. This is just my personal opinion. But I can't imagine the military spending much time on you at all right now.
        Last edited by SteveLord; August 13th, 2012, 11:09 PM.

Comment

I was almost discharged for "40%" hearing loss so good luck with 75%.

Comment

I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself...

Originally posted by Christopher Sudac View Post
            Fast forward 5-6 weeks and I have still not heard anything.
            I tihnk I know the problem

it turns out I am 75% deaf in my left ear.

Comment

I am trying to find out if I will be able to join the guard, because as it turns out I am 75% deaf in my left ear. I went to mepps 7-8 weeks ago and passed all of the physical requirments accept my hearing test. the doctors told me I had very little hearing in my left ear, but that I should have no problem getting a medical waiver. Two weeks later my recruiter finally sent my waiver in.
              Fast forward 5-6 weeks and I have still not heard anything. My recruiter has not responded to text or phone calls in 3 weeks. she is never at the office either, so I have nobody to really ask any questions and I am starting to get the feeling that i am not worth the effort and that she has a pretty good idea as to weather or not i will be accepted. (really want a new recruiter at this point, but i am not sure if switching is frowned apon.) so bottom line, does a 29 year old functionally deaf man have a chance of joining the guard?
              thanks
              The previous posters are correct. You must pass the minimum on the hearing test to be eligible to enlist. Here are the standards:

"b. Current hearing threshold level in either ear greater than that described in subparagraphs
              7.b.(1)-(3) of this enclosure does not meet the standard:
              (1) Pure tone at 500, 1000, and 2000 cycles per second for each ear of not more than 30
              decibels (dB) on the average with no individual level greater than 35 dB at those frequencies.
              (2) Pure tone level not more than 45 dB at 3000 cycles per second or 55 dB at 4000
              cycles per second for each ear.
              (3) There is no standard for 6000 cycles per second."

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself...

I tihnk I know the problem
                I have sinus/allergy issues at the moment and I just blew stuff out my nose from laughing...thanks. lol I was kinda thinking that when I first read it but then when I saw your comment...

Comment

Originally posted by WIBecky74 View Post
                  I have sinus/allergy issues at the moment and I just blew stuff out my nose from laughing...thanks. lol I was kinda thinking that when I first read it but then when I saw your comment...
                  lol...don't be such a stranger around here

Comment

Working...
                  X