Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Waiver procedure

Originally posted by Tigershark View Post
    So true. We had a guy go AWOL in basic at Fort Leonard Wood. MPs found him at the bus station brought him back and we had suicide watch duty in the barracks. They still tried to get him to finish basic but he just failed to qualify with his rifle and he was chaptered out.
    Not everyone who has a history of a psychiatric disorder is going to go suicidal, in fact, very few will. Suicide or self-injury or even injury to others is limited to a select few conditions. Each disorder is very different. Paraphilia is a disqualifier, but do you honestly believe someone with urolagnia is going to kill themselves, leave their team, or otherwise compromise their mission? Heck, they might even be an asset for not needing to bring as much water

Comment

Originally posted by deepsouth View Post
      Not everyone who has a history of a psychiatric disorder is going to go suicidal, in fact, very few will. Suicide or self-injury or even injury to others is limited to a select few conditions. Each disorder is very different. Paraphilia is a disqualifier, but do you honestly believe someone with urolagnia is going to kill themselves, leave their team, or otherwise compromise their mission? Heck, they might even be an asset for not needing to bring as much water
      Sorry if you thought my post was directed at you. I was only commenting from personal experience about another posters comment.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
        Believe me when I tell you this: You never want to be on the enlisted side of soldier with psych issues.

I'm not calling out any names of people or bases but I've had to deal with several cases of guys that made it through by the skin of their teeth with these kinds of waivers. Here's what happens: In the middle of the night your DS will wake up the entire company and have each PG select a certain number of soldiers to fill a 24-7 watch schedule to watch--one guy.

Without disclosing too much info--A battle buddy and I spent two weeks, 8 hours a day, pulling security on a guy that needed to be transported all over the base for various observations as he was being chaptered out because he didn't stick after going downrange. I don't blame the Army for being so sensitive with this issue, particularly, since suicides have gone up drastically in the last couple years. One guy can make life miserable for an entire Cadre and a GROUP of soldiers if not the entire company downrange.
        +1. And something that keeps hitting the Army in the face (read the link). The military is not taking any chances with these mental issues.

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/0...uly/?hpt=hp_t2

Army sees highest suicide rate in July

By Jamie Crawford
        Soldiers killed themselves at a higher monthly rate in July than any other since detailed statistics have been kept on the issue, the U.S. Army said Thursday.
        A total of 38 confirmed or suspected suicides were counted by the Army last month in a tally that took into account both active and non-active duty soldiers who serve in the Army National Guard or Reserve. Three of those active duty soldiers were deployed at the time of their death.
        Prior to the announcement, the highest monthly level suicide rate for soldiers was 33 in the months of June 2010 and July 2011 according to statistics released by the Army.

"Suicide is the toughest enemy I have faced in my 37 years in the Army. And it's an enemy that's killing not just Soldiers, but tens of thousands of Americans every year," Gen. Lloyd J. Austin III, Vice Chief of Staff of the Army said in a written statement. "That said, I do believe suicide is preventable. To combat it effectively will require sophisticated solutions aimed at helping individuals to build resiliency and strengthen their life coping skills."

Comment

It's not even so much as having to deal with suicide attempts, though, seeing as I've been a PG everywhere I've gone, I've had to deal with more than ten watches some having to watch 3 or 4 guys at one time. It's about dealing with guys that slow down training or endanger morale for a platoon or a whole company because they snap somewhere downrange, become sheet bags and commit selfish acts of stupidity that cause an entire company to lose priviledges/get smoked/miss training opportunities i.e. failure to adapt--they don't give a damn what happens to themselves because they want to "call mommy" and "go home", so they don't care what happens to people around them.

Most of these guys that I've had the chance to pull aside and talk to have revealed that they had documented or undocumented psych issues BEFORE they enlisted. Then there are the ones that slip under the radar and they snap during training. They usually get held over several weeks past their original training period for some reason and drive incoming trainees crazy. They usually dress in some kind of "out of uniform" way. This irritates the type "A" personalities that are always squared away. Then you have the followers that gravitate to these clowns and exacerbate the situation by emulating these idiots and get caught up in the same kind of pathetic behavior patterns.
          Last edited by VICEROY06; August 20th, 2012, 02:37 PM.

Comment

So true. We had a guy go AWOL in basic at Fort Leonard Wood. MPs found him at the bus station brought him back and we had suicide watch duty in the barracks. They still tried to get him to finish basic but he just failed to qualify with his rifle and he was chaptered out.
            Wow. Fort Leonard Wood. Where they take your boot laces away from you and make you walk around wearing floppy boots for days on end even if you make violent threats.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
              Wow. Fort Leonard Wood. Where they take your boot laces away from you and make you walk around wearing floppy boots for days on end even if you make violent threats.
              This was in 1990. Maybe I should have stated that before.
              Wow I did not think they took it that far now, but with someone who may be mentally unstable you can not take any chances.

Comment

It took me 2 years and 4 months just to get my contract signed. Don't let it get you down.

Comment

So true. We had a guy go AWOL in basic at Fort Leonard Wood. MPs found him at the bus station brought him back and we had suicide watch duty in the barracks. They still tried to get him to finish basic

HAHAHA seriously? My question is why? Why is even bother at that point?

Comment

but he just failed to qualify with his rifle and he was chaptered out.
                    He did that on purpose so he would be chaptered out. How many chances did they give him to qualify with his weapon?

Comment

Working...
                    X