X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Eligibility and Enlistment Disqualification

I was wondering if there is anything I can do to becom eligible to join the Guard.

Background:
    I am a 32 year old male with a wife and two young daughters. I live in Minnesota and was applying to join the 34th infantry division. In from Jan. 2007 until Dec. 2010 I was in college where I recieved my BS in Mechanical Engineering. However during school I also worked full-time overnights to help support my family and then attended school during the day, sleeping only 3-4 hours a day while trying to be a father and husband. Needless to say I started show signs of anxiety and my grades suffered. I was prescribed anxiety medication and instantly my grades went up and eventually finished with a 3.41 GPA. I am now being wheened off of the medication since it is no longer needed. I am graduated now and feel that this would be the best time for me to join the Guard. My grandfather, who retired from the guard, recently died and his funeral service brought back many memories of him loving the Guard and also contributed to my decision to apply. However any medication for anxiety is an immediate disqualification and the recruiter stated that in order to qualify again I will have to have a doctor sign off stating that I have been free of the medication for 3 years. That raises another issue, If I wait the 3 years I will then be 35 and therefore ineligible. Is there any recourse I could take to be able to join the Guard or did I squander all opportunities to serve my country? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Recent Eligibility and Enlistment Disqualification

Medical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Military Services:

History of anxiety disorders, anxiety disorder not otherwise specified, panic disorder, agoraphobia, social phobia, simple phobias, other acute reactions to stress are considered disqualifying, UNLESS:
    (1) The applicant did not require any treatment in an inpatient or residential facility.
    (2) Outpatient care was not required for longer than 12 months (cumulative) by a physician or other mental health professional.
    (3) The applicant has not required treatment (including medication) for the past 24 continuous months.
    (4) The applicant has been stable without loss of time from normal pursuits for repeated periods even if of brief duration; and without symptoms or behavior of a repeated nature that impaired social, school, or work efficiency for the past 24 continuous months.

In laymen terms: An applicant that was diagnosed with anxiety or panic attacks is eligible if they have been clear of it for at least 2 years, they were not hospitalized, and did not have to see a health professional for it for more than 12 months.

Comment

Thank you very much for the quick response. I have a few more questions I guess then as well. If I have never been treated for anxiety attacks but just to help me get through school, does that require the two year wait as well. Statements 1-4 are all no's and I have never seen a phychologist or a counselor for it, It came about at a physical and I told the Dr. that I was having trouble keeping one thought in my head at a time and they prescribed me some medication and it worked for me. I guess before I waste anymore of anyones time I should also ask about one more thing that I didn't get to in the over the phone conversation with the recruiter. I am scheduled to have arthroscopic surgery on my right ankle on August 23rd of this year to repair some slight cartilage damage caused from an old sprained ankle. It doesn't bother me too much right now, I am still very active, I have recently run a couple 5K's and run every day to stay in shape. I am told that after the surgery it should feel even better. Would this also be a medical DQ?

Comment

The surgery in itself may not disqualify you.
        But, it will be reviewed and you must wait a minimum of 6 months after any surgery.

Comment

Whether you can really say no to#2 will be a judgment call by the folks evaluating you. Assuming you were prescribed anxiety meds by a doctor, you would likely be considered under their care for your psych issue for as long as they provided (and had renewed your prescription. If it was 12 months or more, it's a yes.

Comment

I was recently looking up positions on USA JOBS and one required enlistement so I called. To my surprise they told me the same thing about the anxiety medication. Mine is very mild and I had no idea that it would disqualify me. I feel hurt because of it. I am prior service and this anxiety is probably related to my prior service since it has to do with me joinging the real world and finding a job. I am so upset because of this. Its funny that a little anxiety medication which helps with anxiety will disqualify but not actually having anxiety or other conditions that are untreated. Im sorry but this is a ridiculous mentality to have and disqualify more than able people. This should be changed and evaluated on a case by case basis and not be an immediate disqualifying factor. Please update your guidelines! they are outdated and you are missing out a very dedicated and qualified individuals!!!!!

Originally posted by jwarmbold View Post
            I was wondering if there is anything I can do to becom eligible to join the Guard.

Background:
            I am a 32 year old male with a wife and two young daughters. I live in Minnesota and was applying to join the 34th infantry division. In from Jan. 2007 until Dec. 2010 I was in college where I recieved my BS in Mechanical Engineering. However during school I also worked full-time overnights to help support my family and then attended school during the day, sleeping only 3-4 hours a day while trying to be a father and husband. Needless to say I started show signs of anxiety and my grades suffered. I was prescribed anxiety medication and instantly my grades went up and eventually finished with a 3.41 GPA. I am now being wheened off of the medication since it is no longer needed. I am graduated now and feel that this would be the best time for me to join the Guard. My grandfather, who retired from the guard, recently died and his funeral service brought back many memories of him loving the Guard and also contributed to my decision to apply. However any medication for anxiety is an immediate disqualification and the recruiter stated that in order to qualify again I will have to have a doctor sign off stating that I have been free of the medication for 3 years. That raises another issue, If I wait the 3 years I will then be 35 and therefore ineligible. Is there any recourse I could take to be able to join the Guard or did I squander all opportunities to serve my country? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by ktrader View Post
              I was recently looking up positions on USA JOBS and one required enlistement so I called. To my surprise they told me the same thing about the anxiety medication. Mine is very mild and I had no idea that it would disqualify me. I feel hurt because of it. I am prior service and this anxiety is probably related to my prior service since it has to do with me joinging the real world and finding a job. I am so upset because of this. Its funny that a little anxiety medication which helps with anxiety will disqualify but not actually having anxiety or other conditions that are untreated. Im sorry but this is a ridiculous mentality to have and disqualify more than able people. This should be changed and evaluated on a case by case basis and not be an immediate disqualifying factor. Please update your guidelines! they are outdated and you are missing out a very dedicated and qualified individuals!!!!!
              Actually, there is a more recent update for this. Unfortunately, it is not in your favor: currently all waivers for mental disorders which encompasses depression, are suspended. Some states are reviewing medical waivers but on a strict case by case basis.

That being said, I do understand your frustration. The Army is being very cautious about applicants with prior medical history.

Comment

Working...
              X