X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Question

Several months ago, I severed a flexor tendon in the middle finger, left hand (non-dominant) while at work. The surgeons were able to successfully repair the tendon. I see the doctor for a final evaluation in about a month, and he mentioned placing me on partial permanent disability due to possible lasting nerve damage to a portion of the side of the finger. Would this situation physically disqualify me from serving?

Re: Medical Question

Originally posted by timberjack View Post
    Several months ago, I severed a flexor tendon in the middle finger, left hand (non-dominant) while at work. The surgeons were able to successfully repair the tendon. I see the doctor for a final evaluation in about a month, and he mentioned placing me on partial permanent disability due to possible lasting nerve damage to a portion of the side of the finger. Would this situation physically disqualify me from serving?
    Just to be clear...are you attempting to join, or are you already in.

Comment

Attempting. Non-prior service.

Comment

Attempting. Non-prior service.
        What physical activites, if any is the Doc or you suggesting that you would be unable to do?

Can you do pushups, pull ups, can you close your fist?

Comment

I have been cleared from light duty for about a month now, and am under no restrictions. I can do push-ups, pull ups, and make a fist.

Comment

The final evaluation is yet another month away in order to give the swelling and scar tissue time to completely recede, and to see to what extent the nerve recovers.

Comment

AR 40-501 Chapter 2:
              (8) Current disease, injury, or congenital condition with residual weakness or symptoms such as to prevent
              satisfactory performance of duty, including, but not limited to chronic joint pain: shoulder (719.41), upper arm (719.
              42), forearm (719.43), and hand (719.44), late effect of fracture of the upper extremities (905.2), late effect of sprains
              without mention of injury (905.7), and late effects of tendon injury (905.8) do not meet the standard.

It's worth a Med read. It will depend on if you have residual issue or are you fully functional back to 100%

Comment

The final evaluation is yet another month away in order to give the swelling and scar tissue time to completely recede, and to see to what extent the nerve recovers.
                If you do not have physical limitations with your hand, you will have a fair chance. But as Goose pointed out, there will be a medical review, especially if there is a noticable scar.

Comment

Thanks for the information guys. The scar will be barely visible, but I am told that there will be some stiffness in the finger for a while.

Comment

Thanks for the information guys. The scar will be barely visible, but I am told that there will be some stiffness in the finger for a while.
                    My advice is wait until it is as healed as it ever will be. Once you get DQ'd from a MEPS, there are even more hoops to jump through in the future to try again.

Comment

Sounds good. One other thing along the medical topic...I've visited the chiropractor a number of times over the years. Not for any specific back injury...it just felt good to get adjusted from time to time and get the accumulation of kinks from my job worked out. Will that end up raising red flags?

Comment

Sounds good. One other thing along the medical topic...I've visited the chiropractor a number of times over the years. Not for any specific back injury...it just felt good to get adjusted from time to time and get the accumulation of kinks from my job worked out. Will that end up raising red flags?
                        If there was no injury and it wasn't for any specific medical condition then it is something that probably need not be disclosed.

Comment

Thank you much.

Comment

That's how the chiros get you....by doing just enough to make you continue to come back.

Comment

Working...
                            X