Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting citizenship during BCT?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Getting citizenship during BCT?

    I would like to know,How long it will take a person to get a citizenship in national guard? Is one get citizenship within his/her BCT or Advance school? Because I am confused between army reserve and national guard, which one to choose? Is the time to get citizenship for both branches are same or are different? My goal is to get SMP program to complete my bachelors and then become an officer. I am green card holder. Is there any quota for the citizenships granted each year in national guard?

  • #2
    Re: Getting citizenship during BCT?

    You will get your Citizenship by the end of Basic - they have processes set up so you can submit your application early on (the non-Citizens I was with did theirs in Reception), and throughout training on Sundays you can check the status and update paperwork, take tests etc. This is the same whether you are Active, Reserve or Guard. There is no quota for Citizenship based on military service.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Getting citizenship during BCT?

      I would advise you to discuss this with your recruiter. While it is possible to earn your citizenship during BCT, in my personal experience, I've known Soldiers that didn't get them until a few years after BCT. So, it may not be a guaranteed thing. I can't find anything specific in the regulations, but I will keep looking. In the mean time, discuss your options with your recruiter so that you can be prepared before you leave for training.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Getting citizenship during BCT?

        Originally posted by RyCass View Post
        I would advise you to discuss this with your recruiter. While it is possible to earn your citizenship during BCT, in my personal experience, I've known Soldiers that didn't get them until a few years after BCT. So, it may not be a guaranteed thing. I can't find anything specific in the regulations, but I will keep looking. In the mean time, discuss your options with your recruiter so that you can be prepared before you leave for training.
        This should help out:

        http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD

        The section entitled "Naturalization at Basic Training" addresses the changes introduced. As a non-Citizen I was very interested in this subject, but I managed to get my Citizenship before I left. That being said all the non-Citizens in my OSUT Company were Naturalized by the end of training.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Getting citizenship during BCT?

          Originally posted by USAForever View Post
          This should help out:

          http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD

          The section entitled "Naturalization at Basic Training" addresses the changes introduced. As a non-Citizen I was very interested in this subject, but I managed to get my Citizenship before I left. That being said all the non-Citizens in my OSUT Company were Naturalized by the end of training.
          Awesome! Thank you for sharing! This is helpful.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Getting citizenship during BCT?

            Thanks a lot for the information, because I making lot visits to Army recruiting office as well as National guard (CALIFORNIA) . But they don't have the information regarding this subject, Army recruiter told I can get citizenship within BCT but national guard told me something different that it would take 1-2 yrs to get citizenship. My personal choice is National Guard because I can work full time at base or can act reserve too. My education benefit for a year will be $9000 [4500(federal)+4500(california)] if I am in National Guard and can complete my BACHELORS with ROTC to become an officer.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Getting citizenship during BCT?

              The procedure to send the FORM N-400 and FORM N -426 should be done by me before going to BCT? Is it going to matter that which camp I am going to receive my BCT that they have the Naturalization facility on it?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Getting citizenship during BCT?

                Originally posted by rupinderhayer View Post
                Thanks a lot for the information, because I making lot visits to Army recruiting office as well as National guard (CALIFORNIA) . But they don't have the information regarding this subject, Army recruiter told I can get citizenship within BCT but national guard told me something different that it would take 1-2 yrs to get citizenship. My personal choice is National Guard because I can work full time at base or can act reserve too. My education benefit for a year will be $9000 [4500(federal)+4500(california)] if I am in National Guard and can complete my BACHELORS with ROTC to become an officer.
                I can understand your frustration. None of my resources are familiar with this program either or can identify where it is in the Army/National Guard regulations. I'm still looking. I'll be sure to post something as soon as I find it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Getting citizenship during BCT?

                  Originally posted by rupinderhayer View Post
                  The procedure to send the FORM N-400 and FORM N -426 should be done by me before going to BCT? Is it going to matter that which camp I am going to receive my BCT that they have the Naturalization facility on it?
                  I would advise you to refer to your recruiter on this.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Getting citizenship during BCT?

                    Assistance on citizenship may be reached at (502) 613-8485.

                    The "How To" guide is located at:

                    https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/ASSETS...erGuideCit.pdf

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Getting citizenship during BCT?

                      From what I understand the N-400/N-426 are completed at Basic (they were given to the non-Citizens while I was there). Since you won't have served on Active Duty until you enter BCT you couldn't submit them beforehand.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Getting citizenship during BCT?

                        Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                        I can understand your frustration. None of my resources are familiar with this program either or can identify where it is in the Army/National Guard regulations. I'm still looking. I'll be sure to post something as soon as I find it.
                        I really appreciate your help. I already emailed the all information to my recuiter from this thread. I am just waiting for her reply. Whenever I will get her reply, I am gonna post it over here.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Getting citizenship during BCT?

                          Originally posted by USAForever View Post
                          This should help out:

                          http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD

                          The section entitled "Naturalization at Basic Training" addresses the changes introduced. As a non-Citizen I was very interested in this subject, but I managed to get my Citizenship before I left. That being said all the non-Citizens in my OSUT Company were Naturalized by the end of training.
                          But on this website, it is written certain components of NATIONAL GUARD. I called them, even they don't what certain component consist of?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X