X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEPS help

If MEPS dq's you before they even see you is there a way to get them to change their mind? Is there an appeals process or someone above MEPS to petition to at least be seen and get a physical?

Thanks

Ed

Re: MEPS help

You would have to provide more information than this, Ed. Do you know why you were disqualified? What did your recruiter tell you? Do you meet all the enlistment requirements? http://bit.ly/LMYN9T

Based strictly off of your post, I would recommend speaking to your recruiter. They will be able to get you started if you are eligible for some kind of waiver.

Good luck!

Comment

I had a benign tumor removed from my lower spine 4 years ago. I have been medically cleared by all my doctors, and i actually got a flight physical at an Army Aviation facility about 6 months after my surgery and got qualified pending exception to policy, which I got through Rucker. My recruiter did not say why I was turned down, but it has to be for that. All my other minor medical issues are not disqualifying and have been approved before in previous applications.

right at the same time I was diagnosed with the tumor I was selected for the WOFT program, and if it were not for the tumor I would be flying helicopters right now. That is the most frustrating part. I should be flying right now, not working in a restaurant.

I am prior service (Marine SGT)
      I am 37 (too old now for aviation i know but I still want to get commissioned)
      99 on the ASVAB AFQT
      my EL and GT are 135
      154 on the AFAST
      95 college credits
      private pilot
      not in the best shape of my life right now but I can still score a 285 on the APFT.
      no criminal or drug use history at all.
      couple speeding tickets but they are all 8 years old or older.

Thanks for the help

Ed

Comment

Ed,

Just so we are clear, Fort Rucker cleared you after an Army Flight physical status post tumor removal?

Comment

And the quick answer is yes, unless it's one of the nonwaiverable items (History of Psychosis, Alcholisim et al), your recruiter can attempt to have it waived by proper authority.

Comment

Yes, post surgery I flew myself out to Ft. indiantown gap PA and had a flight physical. I had a complete physical and then I had to wait for the head surgeon, LtCol Persson, to review it and then finally got the exception to policy which I still have. As far as I know from my research it is waiverable but I know med standards change and it's all up to the MEPS docs.

Comment

Originally posted by erumpeltin View Post
              Yes, post surgery I flew myself out to Ft. indiantown gap PA and had a flight physical. I had a complete physical and then I had to wait for the head surgeon, LtCol Persson, to review it and then finally got the exception to policy which I still have. As far as I know from my research it is waiverable but I know med standards change and it's all up to the MEPS docs.
              My next question is if you passed you ultimately passed your flight physical for FWOCS, why didn't you attend back then? Did the ETP take too long?

It sounds like your situation is amendable.

Comment

I was selected for the WOFT program
                I'm curious what makes you think/know/believe this considering you must be in the Guard to apply.

Comment

Oh!! And right after all your strong work on the PCS and UCMJ stuff yesterday!

153A - Rotary Wing Aviator

**WOFT PROGRAM IS FOR CIVILIAN APPLICANTS ONLY***

Boom!

Comment

I was applying to the Regular Army 153a, WOFT program. I was accepted ( I still have the paper with my name - and other names- on it, thought about framing it or something...) but I went for my inspect at MEPS with all my surgery paperwork and i got DQed. So after that I tried, unsuccessfully, to get back into MEPS a few times for the regular Army in NJ, then moved to California and tried getting into the guard but kept running into obstacles like the guard (according to my recruiter) was not accepting any medical waivers for a while, then MEPS wouldn't see me, then changed recruiters, etc.

I did not go because you have 10 days or something after selection to go down to MEPS and get an inspect physical, and swear in. Well I went to MEPS but got sent home and could not swear in so the selection expired so to speak. It was after that I took my medical status into my own hands and went and got a flight physical.

Not to mention the year I had to wait to take the AFAST again (this is pre surgery, before I got selected) after they said I 'failed' - got an 82. Which I know was absolutely wrong. It was the woman's first time grading the AFAST, it was graded by hand. And they refused to re grade it or let me see it. Now, not only am I a fixed wing pilot, but I had at the time about 10 hours rotary wing time, plus I took about a thousand practice exams before taking the test and The second time I studied half as much, did almost no practice tests, felt like i missed more questions than the first time and got a 154. i think more than likely that 82 was supposed to be a 164, maybe she forgot to carry a one or something.

So it has been a long bumpy road but it has not discouraged me from wanting to get back in uniform and be a part of something greater. Not that I don't like working in a restaurant but there is no way it will ever equal the job satisfaction I had when I was a Marine, and the job satisfaction I know I will get being a part of the Guard.

I asked my recruiter if he knows a way to 'get around' the DQ from MEPS, or get a waiver, and all he has told me is 'I dont know'. And I call him once a week to ask the same question and get the same answer.

So if anyone knows how to get a waiver, or has a contact for a southern cali recruiter that knows the process it would be immensely helpful.

Thank you

Ed

Comment

I had a benign tumor removed from my lower spine 4 years ago. I have been medically cleared by all my doctors, and i actually got a flight physical at an Army Aviation facility about 6 months after my surgery and got qualified pending exception to policy, which I got through Rucker. My recruiter did not say why I was turned down, but it has to be for that. All my other minor medical issues are not disqualifying and have been approved before in previous applications.

right at the same time I was diagnosed with the tumor I was selected for the WOFT program, and if it were not for the tumor I would be flying helicopters right now. That is the most frustrating part. I should be flying right now, not working in a restaurant.

I am prior service (Marine SGT)
                      I am 37 (too old now for aviation i know but I still want to get commissioned)
                      99 on the ASVAB AFQT
                      my EL and GT are 135
                      154 on the AFAST
                      95 college credits
                      private pilot
                      not in the best shape of my life right now but I can still score a 285 on the APFT.
                      no criminal or drug use history at all.
                      couple speeding tickets but they are all 8 years old or older.

Thanks for the help

Ed
                      Provided that you don't have a medical condition that would affect your service, excluding you from service would be the Army's loss.

Best of luck!

Comment

Polo8816,

What unit are you in? I grew up in NJ - northern NJ, Bergen County.

Comment

So is there anything I can do? Anyone I can contact?

Comment

My situation - disqualified by MEPS for a shoulder surgery I had in 1998 - DQed without going to MEPS just based on my paperwork, recruiter sent paperwork to Guard Surgeon General, SG approved me to physical so MEPS HAS to let me physical, will most likely be DQed at MEPS and then a waiver will be submitted to the SG.

Comment

Hmm it might be time for a new recruiter. Mine seems to be UA. I wonder if I could try to contact the SG myself. Is it the state SG or the SG of the national guard? I'm not getting any younger I want to get this done. I would literally sign a 20 year contract For commission tomorrow if they would let me.

Comment

Working...
                              X