X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plantar fasciitis

I'm sorry if this has been posted many times before but, I'm 16 (I know I know I have a LONG time before i can make the decision to enlist or not) and I have Plantar fasciitis. I'm doing the stretches my doctor told me to do and it has gotten better. would I need a waiver to join? Also, how often are waivers handed out for something like that? I don't have flat feet I have high arches if that makes a difference. Any help is appreciated. sorry if this was posted in the wrong section.

Re: Plantar fasciitis

I joined the military at 17 but did not get severe plantar fasciitis until my early 30s. I received inserts/orthos for my shoes and stretching exercises. What fixed it (after 5 years of chronic problems) were three cortisone injections during a 3 year period. Then when the left foot got better; it happened to the right one. I remember getting out of bed and when my foot hit the ground, I was in so much pain. This happened for months at a time.

You on the other hand are very young and should not join with this type of issue because you will do alot of running during BCT/AIT.

I will wait to your problem goes away and it should over time. I will add that you purchase the right running shoes for your feet and give yourself time to heel and recuperate. I am in my 40s now and even though the problem is gone; I daily do calf stretches to alleviate any reoccurence.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
      I joined the military at 17 but did not get severe plantar fasciitis until my early 30s. I received inserts/orthos for my shoes and stretching exercises. What fixed it (after 5 years of chronic problems) were three cortisone injections during a 3 year period. Then when the left foot got better; it happened to the right one. I remember getting out of bed and when my foot hit the ground, I was in so much pain. This happened for months at a time.

You on the other hand are very young and should not join with this type of issue because you will do alot of running during BCT/AIT.

I will wait to your problem goes away and it should over time. I will add that you purchase the right running shoes for your feet and give yourself time to heel and recuperate. I am in my 40s now and even though the problem is gone; I daily do calf stretches to alleviate any reoccurence.

Good luck.
      I too had issues with this for months AFTER BCT and my arch supports and physical therapy were not a lot of help; the injections in my arches were not fun but a G*d send. I can run now....however, I am probably just band-aiding the issue until after OCS (I get them in my elbow too) but I need to be able to train.

OP - fmcitlyslicker is correct, WAIT until the inflamation goes down and it goes away. Go see a podiatrist, get some arch supports, to stretching, maybe even go to a clinic to learn how to run mid-foot but DON'T go to BCT WITH this issue, you will only hurt yourself. I pushed myself against the advice of my podiatrist and what he said was "if you keep running on this and don't let it heal, you could end up tearing the muscle and you'll KNOW when that happens because your arch will collapse and then you'll be out for good'

With you're age you have time to let it heal up, use it to HEAL UP, not wait on a waiver so you can go run on it and possibly cause permanent damage. Just an opinion.
      Last edited by Chris36; July 2nd, 2012, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
        I too had issues with this for months AFTER BCT and my arch supports and physical therapy were not a lot of help; the injections in my arches were not fun but a G*d send. I can run now....however, I am prbably just band-aiding the issue until after OCS (I get them in my elbow too) but I need to be able to train.

OP - fmcitlyslicker is correct, WAIT until the inflamation goes down and it goes away. Go see a podiatrist, get some arch supports, to stretching, maybe even go to a clinic to learn how to run mid-foot but DON'T go to BCT WITH this issue, you will only hurt yourself. I pushed myself against the advice of my podiatrist and what he said was "if you keep running on this and don't let it heal, you could end up tearing the muscle and you'll KNOW when that happens because your arch will collapse and then you'll be out for good'

With you're age you have time to let it heal up, use it to HEAL UP, not wait on a waiver so you can go run on it and possibly cause permanent damage. Just an opinion.
        +1. Currently, I have the elbow joint pain but it is not tennis elbow since it is in the inside of the joints. ***** getting old.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
          +1. Currently, I have the elbow joint pain but it is not tennis elbow since it is in the inside of the joints. ***** getting old.
          Mine's inside the joint too!....so I get the shots in numerous areas in the elbow joint, bone and surrounding ligaments. The first set in December lastes 7 months, now they don't seem to be helping as much so I just try to ignore it an drive on.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

The best and easiest thing you can do at home for plantar fasciitis (besides the stretches) is to get a golf ball and stick it in the freezer. Then whenever you are at home watching tv or sitting on the computer get the golf ball, and roll the bottom of your foot on it. The fascia is inflamed so the cold part will help take the inflammation down and dull some pain, while helping to break up the fascia. If you can get to a massage therapist and have them work on it that will help as well. You both need to focus on the area on the bottom of your foot, just above your heel pad at the bottom of your arch. Work this area well with the golf ball a few times a week and with the stretches you should start seeing a difference!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                I too had issues with this for months AFTER BCT and my arch supports and physical therapy were not a lot of help; the injections in my arches were not fun but a G*d send. I can run now....however, I am probably just band-aiding the issue until after OCS (I get them in my elbow too) but I need to be able to train.

Thanks, I have another question. When it clears up would I still need a waiver? I got cortisone shots but they only lasted about a month. if the arch supports work, would the inflammation come back with out them?

Comment

According to the DoDI 6130.03 Medical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction of the Military Service, having a history of Plantar Fasciitis is a disqualification from enlisting. You would need to speak to a recruiter to find out if there is a waiver available. Based on what you've posted, it sounds like you've got an on going problem that will only cause you further discomfort if you enlist.

Comment

but it says "(8) Current or history of recurrent plantar fasciitis (728.71).". this is my first time having it. I'm 16 and I have a while for it to heal. when it heals, would i need a waiver?

Comment

Originally posted by Random Task 1 View Post
                      but it says "(8) Current or history of recurrent plantar fasciitis (728.71).". this is my first time having it. I'm 16 and I have a while for it to heal. when it heals, would i need a waiver?
                      Hence the "current".

Comment

Originally posted by Random Task 1 View Post
                        You are 16 not 36 so you have plenty of time. Relax and let it heel. Do you know how many people who had issues or were already broke and slip through the military system and now the DoD is paying the price for it because they wanted to bump up their numbers?

Do not make yourself a liability because you want to serve. Take care of number 1 first and when you are 100% healthy then you could focus your goals on military service.

Good luck.

Comment

Also, just because it is a disqualification doesn't mean that there may not be a waiver available to you. Medical issues are not always black and white; they are often based on the severity and limitations they create. Let yourself heal, then talk to your recruiter about your options. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                          X