Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever get a med waiver for cataract surgery?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone ever get a med waiver for cataract surgery?

    I had this operation done a bit over 2 years ago without any complications. I've read Army regs stating it's a disqualifying medical condition, however, I've also been told that it's possible to get a medical waiver if you have documentation from your doctor that the condition will not worsen and is not degenerative. Are their any recruiters on the board that have had success getting waivers for recruits with this problem? What factors play into a MEPS doctor/chief medical officers decision to grant a waiver?

    Currently, I'm 27 and looking to go MP or something in the intelligence field. I speak fluent German, Spanish, Farsi, and working on Chinese Mandarin (and of course English) if that helps. Thanks!

  • #2
    Re: Anyone ever get a med waiver for cataract surgery?

    Originally posted by nevets View Post
    I've read Army regs stating it's a disqualifying medical condition, however, I've also been told that it's possible to get a medical waiver if you have documentation from your doctor that the condition will not worsen and is not degenerative.
    Who told you that it's possible to get a medical waiver? If it was a recruiter, then I suggest you continue to work with him. If not a recruiter then I would not take the information at face value.

    You are correct in reading that any history of cataracts and or surgery is medically disqualifying. With the current enlistment criteria and atmosphere of the military, good luck.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Anyone ever get a med waiver for cataract surgery?

      That is correct. A history of cataracts is a disqualification. Where did you hear about the waivers? I would start there. Also, the best way to get the answer you're looking for is to talk to a local recruiter. Here's how you can get connected to one here online: http://bit.ly/JMCld5.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Anyone ever get a med waiver for cataract surgery?

        Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
        Who told you that it's possible to get a medical waiver? If it was a recruiter, then I suggest you continue to work with him. If not a recruiter then I would not take the information at face value.

        You are correct in reading that any history of cataracts and or surgery is medically disqualifying. With the current enlistment criteria and atmosphere of the military, good luck.
        Ha! Quick on the draw. My thoughts exactly...

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Anyone ever get a med waiver for cataract surgery?

          Originally posted by RyCass View Post
          That is correct. A history of cataracts is a disqualification. Where did you hear about the waivers?
          I read a similar post on Millitary.com forums. The OP had the same issue as me and while scrolling down the thread, another poster stated he/she was informed by either a requiter or MEPS doc that in order to be in compliance, they would have to show proof from their opthamologist that the condition was stable and would not pose any further problems. It's really all heresay and I know that waivers are granted on a case by case basis and that some are granted waivers one week for X condition, and next week an applicant with the same X condition is DQ'ed. I would imagine with all branches at strength and with the war winding down, waivers are hard to come by these days.

          Comment

          Working...
          X