X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of Questions: Waviers and Debt

I am a 30 year old male with no prior service. I have a 4 year degree (geography = worthless) and am wanting to join either the Air or Army Guard as either an Officer or Enlisted. My joining is more about service, challenging myself and doing something meaningful than having a shinny metal bar vs a couple of stripes.

I am interested in MP/Security Forces, maintenance or transportation. I have always considered joining the military, my parents talked me out of a ROTC scholarship for college, which I still regret. While I do not want to fly for the military I do have over 1500 hours of flight time, 1000 of which is as first officer in Learjet 20, 30 and 50 series aircraft, so I might lean toward the Air Guard since I'm used to being around air ops. I have no criminal record, heck I haven't even had a speeding ticket since I was 19.

My possible problems:

1) My wife and I have a considerable amount of debt, 90% of which is student loans from college and technical (flight) school. By considerable I mean over 200K. I have no late payments, have never defaulted and decent credit. However, my wife missed a few payments before we were married or even met. Will her history effect me at all? I realize debt can effect clearances, do MPs or Security Forces require a TS clearance?

2) I was taking an anti-depressant for anxiety which stemmed from changing careers, money issues and marital issues surrounding money and having a kid. I was on them for around a year, but have been off them for a couple of months with my doctors knowledge and have no continuing problems. I know that you have to be off of them for a year to even start the enlistment process but my question is, would this make it harder to get an officer slot? I want to enlist either way, but an officer slot would mean a little more money which never hurts.

Thank you for your time and help,
    Robert Thompson

Re: Couple of Questions: Waviers and Debt

Robert Thompson, after reading your post, I want you in my Army. Get your self down to a Recruiter's office. Walk in the front door. The Recruiter will help you with the rest.

Comment

Your debt comes into play if a job/role in the military requires a security clearance as they will do a background check. I cannot say how strict they are with regards to debt though.

Otherwise, your debt/credit score or history it is not even inquired about when enlisting.

Comment

Wow thanks Squash.

I wish the year restriction on anti-depressants applied to when you shipped to BCT not starting your process, so I could get the ball rolling sooner. I already talked to the Air Guard phone center and they said they couldn't do anything at all until it had been a year. But I'm putting the time to good use, doing P90X, running and hiking at altitude here in Colorado so I can max out the PT tests.

Thanks to both of your for your replies.

Comment

You should go down to the Army/ARNG recruiter's office and pre-qualify. You might be able to take the ASVAB and get that part out of the way.

But you have to realize that with the rise of suicides in the Army; anything that has something to do with depression is something that is very delicate. You took meds based on those circumstances. What if when you are deployed 9 months to a year away from your family and receiving mortar and rocket attacks and that stress is considered X times as much as you went through before. You already established the need.

Also, if you able to enlist as a 09S candidate; then your worthless degree would count for something.

MP only requires a secret clearance. I do not know what security forces in the AF requires. The point is that you pay your bills on time. Also, your issue with your spouse should not affect your clearance paperwork.

I am based at Fort Carson and currently in Afghanistan. Looking forward to going back and enjoying time at my VFW.

Comment

Thank your for your reply fmcityslicker.

I realize that my medical history may make my getting on with the Guard hard and/or impossible but I'm going to work hard at what I can control and hope for the best. While I will in no way compare my experience as a pilot with combat, not by a long shot, I have dealt with emergencies and stress in my flying career (electrical fire, blown tires, electrical failure, engine failure) and hope that I can relate that experience to the MEPS personnel as a positive example of my abilities.

Stay safe over there.

Comment

Originally posted by rthompsonjr View Post
              Thank your for your reply fmcityslicker.

I realize that my medical history may make my getting on with the Guard hard and/or impossible but I'm going to work hard at what I can control and hope for the best. While I will in no way compare my experience as a pilot with combat, not by a long shot, I have dealt with emergencies and stress in my flying career (electrical fire, blown tires, electrical failure, engine failure) and hope that I can relate that experience to the MEPS personnel as a positive example of my abilities.

Stay safe over there.
              It might be 24 months without any treatment. Here's what I mean. The DoDI 6130.03 Medical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Military
              Services states:

"p. History of anxiety disorders (300.01), anxiety disorder not otherwise specified (300.00),
              panic disorder (300.2), agoraphobia (300.21, 300.22), social phobia (300.23), simple phobias
              (300.29), other acute reactions to stress (308) [are a diqualification] UNLESS:
              (1) The applicant did not require any treatment in an inpatient or residential facility.
              (2) Outpatient care was not required for longer than 12 months (cumulative) by a
              physician or other mental health professional (to include V65.40).
              (3) The applicant has not required treatment (including medication) for the past 24
              continuous months.

(4) The applicant has been stable without loss of time from normal pursuits for repeated
              periods even if of brief duration; and without symptoms or behavior of a repeated nature that
              impaired social, school, or work efficiency for the past 24 continuous months."

A recruiter will be able to clarify for you. Hopefully, your experience falls under "out patient services" and would only require 12 months.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X