X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asthma

I have asthma. I have not used any medication/inhalers in a long time. about 1 year ago i had a Allergic reaction that might have caused a asthma attack but the doctor wasn't sure so he put me on an breathing treatment for a couple days. am i still able to join the guard? i am physically fit in every other way.

Re: Asthma

Originally posted by Zwsykes View Post
    I have asthma. I have not used any medication/inhalers in a long time. about 1 year ago i had a Allergic reaction that might have caused a asthma attack but the doctor wasn't sure so he put me on an breathing treatment for a couple days. am i still able to join the guard? i am physically fit in every other way.
    According to the DoDI 6130.03, asthma is considered a disqualification:

"d. Airway hyper responsiveness including asthma (493.xx), reactive airway disease,
    exercise-induced bronchospasm (519.11) or asthmatic bronchitis (493.90), reliably diagnosed
    and symptomatic after the 13th birthday.
    "

I think in your case, you'll want to consider the "reliably diagnosed and symptomatic" portion. A one time treatment doesn't sound symptomatic and based strictly on what you've said, I don't think you'll have an issue. But I would recommend getting tested or consulting with your doctor if you're not sure. Ultimately, it will be their diagnosis/prognosis that will influence your eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Zwsykes View Post
      I have asthma...am i still able to join the guard?
      That is a question for a Recruiter and/or the MD at MEPS.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

You're welcome! Squash is also correct; be sure to communicate with your recruiter!

Comment

Working...
          X