X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEPS Fingerprinting Question

When I went to meps to swear in, they could not get a good scan of my fingerprints because my hands were all messed up from working as a dishwasher. They told me it was no big deal at the time and told me to just make sure I come back sometime before I ship to rescan them. I ship in the end of July, and my hands have not gotten better despite me quitting my job over two months ago. The problem is, I was diagnosed with eczema and totally forgot to mention it during my time at meps. I saw a doctor last summer when I first noticed my hands cracking and peeling and took some steroid creme which cleared it up pretty good. I quit using it about two months prior to enlisting. I have been researching and have found that eczema is a potential dq. With that said I have two questions. First, can I still ship even if they are unable to get a successful scan of my fingerprints? Second, what are the potential consequences I could face if they find out I have eczema? Thanks in advance to anyone who has any information on this subject.

Re: MEPS Fingerprinting Question

Have you tried to use Vasoline to help clear up your hands, it may help with your first question. As for your second I imagine it will depend on how much money they invested into because if they were to find out now you probably wouldn't ship but I'm just speculating. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by FireRescue View Post
      Have you tried to use Vasoline to help clear up your hands, it may help with your first question. As for your second I imagine it will depend on how much money they invested into because if they were to find out now you probably wouldn't ship but I'm just speculating. Best of luck to you.
      Exactly. Or use your favorite lotion lol.

Comment

Being diagnosed with eczema as an adult is a disqualification for enlistment. Please refer to AR 40-501, Chapter 2-28:

2–28. Skin and cellular tissues
        a. Current diseases of sebaceous glands to include severe acne (706.1), if extensive involvement of the neck,
        shoulders, chest, or back is present or would be aggravated by or interfere with the proper wearing of military
        equipment, do not meet the standard. Applicants under treatment with systemic retinoids, including, but not limited to
        isotretinoin (Accutane(r)) are disqualified until 8 (eight) weeks after completion of therapy.
        b. Current or history of atopic dermatitis (691) or eczema (692) after the 9th birthday does not meet the standard.

Be advised that if you withhold this information, you could also be discharged for fraudulent enlistment. You might consider getting a second medical opinion before disclosing your condition, just to be sure.

Comment

Yes I have seen numerous people have roughed up fingerprints due to occupational hazards. Usually the FBI will reject prints two or three times before accepting them as is. In your case a couple of months of rehab on your hands, applying lotion and wearing gloves when doing any kind of labor and they should heal up pretty fast. However when you add eczema to the mix and if it is effecting you hands then that's another story and it will be difficult/impossible to obtain readable prints.

Comment

Working...
          X