Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I tell my parents that I want to join?

I'm currently going to be a senior at my high school and want to join the national guard. However, there is a problem. My parents don't like the idea of me joining the military. When I was about 15, I brought up the idea that I wanted to join the armed forces, and gave facts, but my entire family fought me about it. I really want to join the national guard, but I don't know how to tell my parents. Any advice?

Re: How do I tell my parents that I want to join?

You tell them your going to do it, that it is what you want to do and have given it alot of thought/research as well. Good luck to you!

Oh and mention to them that the job market is terrible and that this will help financially. Hey it couldn't hurt.

Comment

Re: How do I tell my parents that I want to join?

Originally posted by JTM95 View Post
      I'm currently going to be a senior at my high school and want to join the national guard. However, there is a problem. My parents don't like the idea of me joining the military. When I was about 15, I brought up the idea that I wanted to join the armed forces, and gave facts, but my entire family fought me about it. I really want to join the national guard, but I don't know how to tell my parents. Any advice?
      I agree. The best thing you can do is be honest with your family about your goals. If they still object, try to have your reasons mapped out with references and useful information. One thing I like to recommend to new recruits is the Parents section on the National Guard website. There's a whole FAQ section on there that may answer many of the questions and/or concerns they have: http://bit.ly/NwLz1N.

Ultimately, once you become an adult, the decision, and the commitment, will be yours alone.

Comment

Working...
      X