X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severance Pay

I am prior service. I received severance and was pushed out on a medical RE-3. I know waivers are not a problem nor is my health anymore. To join the NG, would I need to repay severance?

Re: Severance Pay

Most likely, although a precise legal question of that nature won't get a definitive answer on this message board.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
      Most likely, although a precise legal question of that nature won't get a definitive answer on this message board.

Agreed. You should ultimately seek legal advice from a qualified source.

However, I did find this DoD regulation that may provide some insight in how severance's are determined, processed, and recouped. It is DoD Financial Management Regulation, Volume 7b Chapter 4: http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/07b/07b_04.pdf. It also makes reference to Volume 7A, Chapter 35 but the latest updates on that were from 2010.

Hope this helps!

Comment

I have read the regulations pertaining to severance. I don't understand this. Before I can receive VA disibility I have to repay the severance. OK got that. Now to return to a military unit, I have to pay it again. That's not nice.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyBallistic View Post
          I am prior service. I received severance and was pushed out on a medical RE-3. I know waivers are not a problem nor is my health anymore. To join the NG, would I need to repay severance?
          How do you know that waivers are not a problem and based on your medical discharge; it will be a bar to re-enlist. I think before you worry about this; you should talk to a recruiter and find out if you can serve again.

Provide some background. When were you discharged and for what medical condition?

Comment

I have very strong connections based on my prior duties in service. My physical ability is second to none. My ONLY concern is the repayment of severance if applicable to going Guard. I know the Guard allows to continue in service with up to 30% disability rating. I would simply request to lower mine to 30% and go forth. It's the crazy stipulations on severance that baffles everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyBallistic View Post
              I have read the regulations pertaining to severance. I don't understand this. Before I can receive VA disibility I have to repay the severance. OK got that. Now to return to a military unit, I have to pay it again. That's not nice.
              Can you be more specific as to where you're getting your information from? Do you have the regulation chapter, etc?

Comment

DoD Financial Management Regulation, Volume 7b Chapter 4: http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/07b/07b_04.pdf

Comment

The information I get from various recruiters is different from state to state. But here is the link I was given to read more into it:
                  DoD Financial Management Regulation, Volume 7b Chapter 4: http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/07b/07b_04.pdf

Comment

Working...
                  X