X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I do?

I'm considering joining the Guard, but I'm unsure about how to go about it. I currently live in Illinois, but I will be graduating high school next year and I want to go to college in the California or Hawaii area. What should I do? Can I enlist in Illinois, and then join a unit in California or Hawaii, or do I need to wait and enlist in California or Hawaii?

Re: What do I do?

Easier to wait until you're moved and settled. The Guard will still be here. While one can transfer to another state, it's just easier to avoid that if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
      Easier to wait until you're moved and settled. The Guard will still be here. While one can transfer to another state, it's just easier to avoid that if you can.
      true that.. i am looking at missing my 2nd straight drill due to VA not clearing me through CIF still, so PA cant get me anything. its a mess.

Comment

My advise will be differnt from the two previous posters. You are currently in your Junior/Senior summer. Now is the time to enlist in Illinois and start with the local RSP. You will attend monthly drill all during your senior year and immediately attend Baisc/AIT upon graduating high school. You will come back fully MOS qualified and ready to start college with all the educational benefits due to you. Waiting to enlist only serves to make your college career murky. Using the other senerio, you would wait and not join the Guard now. Graudate and apply and get accepted into a college in, (for sake of this example) California. You start your first semester (which you are paying for yourself; loans, grants, grandparents, part time job etc). You join the California National Guard and start RSP. You pay for your second semester without GI Bill assistance, and now your Freshman/Sophmore Summer attend Basic/AIT. You skip the first sememster of your Sophmore year because you're not done with AIT in time to start the school year. You are a Sophmore in college before you ever are able to fully benefit from the Guard's education benefits.

Also, just because you are attending school in another state, doesn't mean you have to interstate transfer to the state you are going to school in. Hundreds of soldiers who are college students drill with local units but maintain membership in their "home" state. You could likely attend ATs in the summer with your unit. Both are alright options, I just think it's better to get your Initial Active Duty Training out of the way before you start college. Trying to juggle both doesn't make good sense logistically or financially.

Comment

I agree with Mongoose. You want to have BCT/AIT behind you when you start college; otherwise your preoccupation with preparing for it will distract you from your studies. It's better to potentially start college a semester later than your peers but be able to attend continuously (assuming you don't get deployed, of course).

I'm not familiar with the practice of soldiers drilling in states they're not assigned to for extended periods of time (although I don't dispute its legitimacy; I just don't know of anyone whose done it), but even if you can't set up a similar arrangement, you can get an interstate transfer (IST). Denying an IST request for a soldier attending college is unheard of, as far as I know.

Comment

Exactly! I've had men in my unit go to college in another state. You just find a unit that can use you and you do ATA (alternate training assembly) with that unit.

It's win-win. Your home unit gets to keep you on their roster, and your temporary unit gets another warm body (that they don't have to pay for in most cases).

Better to get Basic Training and AIT out of the way before college so you can concentrate on your studies, and already have buy in for the tuition programs!

Comment

Working...
            X