X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military intelligence and drug use

one of my close friends wants to enlist with me as a 35p ( he is also considering 35m, i'm not) but he has "experimented" with marijuana 3 or 4 times in the past. i know drug use does not disqualify you from getting a TS but i read it could disqualify you from a "sensitive" mos or job. Does anyone have experience in regards to this? are there different standards for 35p and 35m?

Re: Military intelligence and drug use

Originally posted by marreroj View Post
    ...he has "experimented" with marijuana 3 or 4 times in the past.
    You mean used? Why is that in quotes.....

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
      You mean used? Why is that in quotes.....
      Science project?

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
        Science project?
        Yes, I was being just as sarcastic implying the "quotes" somehow diminished the potential negative influence on eligibility....

Comment

It has; remember "but I did not inhale".

Comment

How long ago did your friend use? If it was last week I'd say thats disqualifying. If it was 15 years ago in high school they are not going to care. They will ask about it, make sure they are still not using, or using any other drugs (including prescriptions) and as long as they are squared away now it probably won't matter. No drug convictions, or substance abuse programs. As long as they don't run into a bunch of his old drug buddies who say he was snorting lines every weekend and dropping acid everyday, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by marreroj View Post
              one of my close friends wants to enlist with me as a 35p ( he is also considering 35m, i'm not) but he has "experimented" with marijuana 3 or 4 times in the past. i know drug use does not disqualify you from getting a TS but i read it could disqualify you from a "sensitive" mos or job. Does anyone have experience in regards to this? are there different standards for 35p and 35m?
              35-series soldiers are required to have a TS//SI clearance and those requirements are the same regardless of military active, reserve, or even civilian.

The issue is really length of time since previous use, frequency, associations with drug users, etc. and all that will be up to Army Central Adjudicating Facility however, a recruiter will determine IF your friend can even qualify for Army standards.

Comment

To add, AR 601-210 states that:
                "5.74a. Applicants will be tested for the presence of alcohol and drugs as part of their physical examination. The initial
                analysis of each specimen requires at a minimum 72 hours for a result to be available. No further action is required for
                those applicants whose specimen is reported negative. Applicants whose specimen is positive during the initial analysis
                will have their specimens verified positive or negative. This process takes approximately 21 days...

5–76. Military occupational specialty considerations
                Any applicant who had a confirmed positive lab result and is subsequently qualified after the waiting period will not be
                authorized to enlist for any MOS, unit, or assignment that restricts enlistment because of documented misuse of drugs
                or alcohol."

So, if your friend is currently using, it will show up and he will not be eligible to enlist under an MOS that doesn't allow a history of drug use.

Comment

Having conducted background investigations for a few years I can tell you that honesty is the best policy. But I can also tell you I wish I had a dollar for every time someone just "experimented" 3-4 times. If it was that short number of instances I would think not only should someone remember an exact number but also what it was, how much, who they were with and so on but they never do remember. There is an unwritten rule, if you multiply x 50 what someone tells you they did that is closer to the truth.

Nobody on this site is going to be able to tell you whether someone will qualify for a TS based on that little bit information. “Your friend” will just have to put in their questionnaire and go through the process or not. They is no set rules and as a couple of the posters wrote there are many things that go into that decision made at CCF so anyone saying yes they will or no they won’t qualify for that TS based on that information is making SWAG.

Comment

thanks for the info, but he did not score high enough on the asvab to be concidered for MI

Comment

Working...
                    X