X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Clearances, Background info

Is there anyway I would be able to get copies of the clearances and background information that was taken form me while at MEPS a while back?
    I eventually need them for jobs as well as keep them on fine for myself.

Thanks for any info,

Re: Security Clearances, Background info

Yes I highly recommend you get copies of those. It took me an entire day of searching names and addresses just to fill out the form for Top Secret! But when I left MEPS, I also left with a folder that had a copy of that in there....so have you asked your recruiter?

Comment

When I got TS, I was given the SF 86 and had to manually fill out everything. Then I was given access to the link that I just copied everything from paper to electronic. When the program ran its check; it was accepted by the system. You were not given a form to start the process?

But when you do ship; you should receive that paperwork.

Comment

In the very likely chance that you meps or your recruiter dont have a copy of what you submitted or wont give it to you, the only other option to get a copy is to submit a FOIA request to OPM. google search "OPM FOIA Request" and follow the instructions. They'll send you a copy of your entire background investigation, what you submitted, what they got from their search, etc. It takes some time...a month or two sometimes, but you'll get it.

When I got mine, the people they interviewed wasnt blacked out so I had a full copy of their interview and who said what. I got to thank a friend of mine for "thinking he remembered" that I had a foreign girlfriend and had traveled to see her in her home country, which wasnt a country i had listed on my paperwork, so I had to drive 5 hours for a second interview, with my passport to explain that I had never been to the country or known anyone from that country. All because he thought he maybe remembered something like that. Fun times.

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999 View Post
          When I got mine, the people they interviewed wasnt blacked out so I had a full copy of their interview and who said what. I got to thank a friend of mine for "thinking he remembered" that I had a foreign girlfriend and had traveled to see her in her home country, which wasnt a country i had listed on my paperwork, so I had to drive 5 hours for a second interview, with my passport to explain that I had never been to the country or known anyone from that country. All because he thought he maybe remembered something like that. Fun times.
          Well at least mine was nicer LT. They asked him, "what do you know about so and so likes and hobbies?"

After a long pause he responded,

"That he loved to dance".

That was truly an ice breaker. The investigator and him laughed and the questioning was over in 5 minutes.

Comment

I just finished the health screening aspect of meps on wednesday, however I need a copy of the clearances to work for a school district this summer, I'm not leaving for Training until next June

Comment

Copy of the clearances? I think you may be confused. What clearance is required for your MOS? It takes some time (months to a year) for a clearance to be granted based on its type. Also, clearances granted by the DOD are not transferable to civilian employment. I never heard of an employer asking for that type of documentation.

Comment

Basically just need a copy of the FBI check, but I'd like to keep as much of the info as possible for my own personal records.

Comment

Any National Agency Check (NAC) is just a search of the databases to check for criminal history along with a credit check. Your school, if it needs one, will request it seperately. Any clearance documentation is handled much like a college transcript: you may provide an unofficial one but it's worthless until they get a certified copy from an appropriate office.

The only thing you NEED is a copy of the SF86 and it's really only needed for Perodic Reviews (PR).

http://www.opm.gov/investigate/archive/1997/fin9702.asp
                  Last edited by lindy; June 4th, 2012, 07:47 PM.

Comment

As stated above, your recruiter should be able to get you a copy for your records. Be sure to speak to them first!

Comment

Working...
                    X