Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tattoo policy?

Hey all,
    So as the title states I am curious of the current tattoo policy for enlistment. I read some older threads but nothing that directly answered my question. What are the rules on tattoos that are possibly visible while in uniform? Is there a certain percent that can be visible within a certain area of the body? The reason I ask is cause I am looking into enlisting here in Utah. I was looking at the Air Guard but they say that my tattoo on my arm may not be able to get approved. I don't have any tattoos that are gang related or offensive in any way but I do have a tattoo on my arm that goes from should to elbow. The tattoo is only on the outside of my arm and would only be visible in short sleeved uniforms. I also have one on my leg that would be visible in shorts during like PT. I am really wanting to serve but I am concerned that the tattoos will get me disqualified even though they are not offensive in any way.

Re: Tattoo policy?

As far as I know, as long as you list ASAP you should be fine. I too ran into the 25% rule with the Air Guard but had no problems with the ARNG. I still had to get a waiver but honestly no one even looked at my ink. My recruiter asked me to take pics of the ones that would be visible while in the PT uniform and submitted those at MEPS, along with filling out a form that marked and described all my tattoos...but that was it. The only question asked of me while there was by the AF SGT. taking my blood who asked for my artists name lol.

The new rules coming down state nothing on the hands, head or neck, and from what I've read no sleeve tattoos....previously hands and part of the neck was ok, along with sleeves. Not sure when that is going into effect. I have a half sleeve on one arm, again no questions asked.

My advice is check with a recruiter to be sure, but you should not have a problem. There are a lot of people with tattoos in the Army and the only time they will be visible will be in PT gear or short sleeved Class B's. But I would get in and get that waiver as soon as you can. Waivers are going to be harder and harder to come by as the Army continues to shrink. Good luck!

Comment

Awesome. Thank you for the info. I asked a couple friends who are enlisted to look into it but I'm not sure how long that will take exactly. I guess I can just get in touch with a recruiter and see what they say. I really want to serve and I would hate for my ink to prevent me from doing so. I was wanting to sign soon anyway so that may help give me a push. Thanks again! That info was uplifting lol

Comment

The Army's tattoo policy (AR 670-1, Chapter 1-8E [1]) prohibits any tattoo or brand anywhere on the head or face, except for permanent makeup on females (such as permanent eyeliner, eyebrows and makeup applied to fill in lips). Tattoos that are not extremist, indecent, sexist or ****** are allowed on the hands and neck. During your initial entry exam, determinations will be made according to current regulations.

When in doubt, check with your recruiter!

Comment

Ya I'm working on meeting with a recruiter actually. Just figured I would ask since I ran into the 25% rule with the Air Guard. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

I hear you, I was really bummed about the 25% rule with the Air Force, but I think the long run the Army is a much better fit for me personally, so far.

Comment

Ya it's hard to say. My dad is going on 23 years of serving in the Air Guard and my grandpa served I think 16 years in the Army Guard then moved to the Air Guard for a few more years. They both want me to do the Air Guard. My dad was even with me when we were talking to the recruiter for the Air Guard since she was a friend of his that he's known for years. I would love to go that route, but if I want to serve locally I may not have a choice. But the Army Guard could play out very well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wheelin4evr View Post
                Ya I'm working on meeting with a recruiter actually. Just figured I would ask since I ran into the 25% rule with the Air Guard. Thanks for the reply!
                You're welcome! It's always best to go into a situation informed. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X