Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Medical Question that might be an issue in joining....please help. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Question that might be an issue in joining....please help.

hello, my name is Saul and im 21 years old from Miami, fl. I have always had a deep desire to join the military but have a slight issue that i wanna know if it would prevent me from joining the National Guard. When I was 17 (4 years ago) I was involved in a very bad car accident due to someone cutting me off on the highway and i lost control of my vehicle. I slammed into a pole at 80mph and broke Fibula and ankle which i have a plate with 5 or 6 screws in it on my right leg and tore the ligament that basically held my foot together on my left which now i have 3 screws in along with 3 fractured ribs and bruised lung. I have recovered perfectly from the the injuries and surgery, I can walk, run, sprint, drive and do everything that would involve my legs perfectly. I would want to know if any of this would prevent me from joining the military or maybe what i would have to do to be cleared to join (if there is a chance i can) thanks in advance for helping me out.

Re: Medical Question that might be an issue in joining....please help.

For clarification, you have 1 plate in your leg with 5/6 screws, and 3 screws in your foot, correct? If so, to my knowledge the answer is, yes, you are still eligible to enlist providing you are fully healed and are capable of performing your military duties.

Here's what the Medical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction into the Military Services, (DoDI 6130.1) Section 20 f.2, says:

"(2) Current retained hardware (including plates, pins, rods, wires, or screws) used for fixation that is symptomatic or interferes with proper wearing of equipment or military uniform [is a disqualification]. Retained hardware is not disqualifying if fractures are healed, ligaments are stable, and there is no pain."

Ultimately, you'll want to speak to a recruiter to confirm your eligibility. When you do, be sure to have all your medical documentation available, specifically a note from your doctor stating your prognosis. When you're ready to contact a recruiter, here's how you can do so online: bit.ly/JMCld5.
    Last edited by RyCass; June 5th, 2012, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Re: Medical Question that might be an issue in joining....please help.

thank you, i am definitely gonna look into it now.

Comment

Working...
      X