X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlisting/MOS and SMP

hello everybody,Im jorge from south florida.

I just started the enlisment process (i will be taking the ASVAB tomorrow) and i had a few concerns i would like to get your guidance on before asking my recruiter.
    I am intersted in doing the SMP program soon (junior and senior year) but i want to do basic and AIT before entering the rotc/smp program for financial and scholastic reasons ( I would like to save up some more money before going back to college, and i have not decided a major for my bachelors)
    • Are all MOS's eligible for the SMP program and DEDNG scholarship?
    • do i need to have SMP written into my enlistment contract?
    • Is there a certain time limit (before/after) enlisting that i would have to be enrolled in the smp program?
    • is there a waitlist or some rule that would stop me from doing SMP once enlisted?

Re: Enlisting/MOS and SMP

Your biggest hurdles are going to be A) Getting a scholarship. They are *hard* to get right now. You have to bring your "A" game in academics and military science. B) Gettting contracted (even without a scholarship). Schools only have so many slots per fiscal year to commission cadets. Again, "A" game.

You can start SMP once you get a scholarship and/or a contract. It is not something you have written into your enlistment paperwork.

Comment

Your National Guard enlistment is not directly tied to your ROTC enrollment. The LT is correct, it's becomming more and more difficult and competative to both be awarded a scholarship or get contracted in general. Good luck in your endevor.

Comment

Originally posted by marreroj View Post
        hello everybody,Im jorge from south florida.

I just started the enlisment process (i will be taking the ASVAB tomorrow) and i had a few concerns i would like to get your guidance on before asking my recruiter.
        I am intersted in doing the SMP program soon (junior and senior year) but i want to do basic and AIT before entering the rotc/smp program for financial and scholastic reasons ( I would like to save up some more money before going back to college, and i have not decided a major for my bachelors)
        • Are all MOS's eligible for the SMP program and DEDNG scholarship?
        • do i need to have SMP written into my enlistment contract?
        • Is there a certain time limit (before/after) enlisting that i would have to be enrolled in the smp program?
        • is there a waitlist or some rule that would stop me from doing SMP once enlisted?

Just to be clear:
        1) You can enlist with any MOS you'd like. This does not affect your SMP status or your eligibility to enter into an ROTC program.
        2) SMP is considered a voluntary program, therefore, you cannot have it written in your enlistment contract. You do, however, "contract" with ROTC once you are Junior in college. This basically states that you will complete the training and commission as a 2LT in the National Guard once you're finished.
        3) According to the Accession Options Criteria: "The SMP is available to ARNG applicants who meet basic eligibility standards of paragraph 9-14 of
        AR 601-210 and who: (b) Are currently contracted and in MS II, MS III or MS IV, or agree to apply for enrollment in ROTC
        Advanced Course within one year after enlistment in the ARNGUS.
        " I take this to mean you should attend the Advanced Course between your Junior and Senior year if you are enlisting before you contract with ROTC. I would recommend you speak to your recruiter to clarify this.
        4) I'm not aware of any wait lists, but as the other posters mentioned, ROTC scholarships can be competitive.

If you'd like to read more about the SMP requirements, take a look at Chapter 9-14 in the Accession Options Criteria manual.

Comment

Working...
        X