Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medical waiver chances

Originally posted by boxinabag View Post
    Hey everyone, I have a new find, and need some insight on what you guys think about this.

Page 91 of the Air Force Waiver Guide (Last Updated 5 Jun 2012) states the following for ADHD waiver consideration for a Flight Class III physical (which I require for pararescue)

Flight Class - FC III

Waiver Potential & - Maybe** & MAJCOM
    Waiver Authority

ACS Review/Eval - Yes*

+For untrained FC II and III personnel, waiver authority is AETC; otherwise it is the MAJCOM of
    assignment.
    *ACS review/evaluation if requested by AETC for initial FC I/IA, FC II and FC III applicants.
    **Untrained individuals with passing grades in high school or college and who have not used any
    medications for at least twelve months do NOT require a waiver for ADHS.

Does this apply to myself? Would I be considered an untrained individual? I did graduate high school, and had passing grades when in college and have been off the meds for 7 years. So, according to this I would not even require a waiver correct?

Also, I like the typo (ADHS) they have in a section about ADHD lol.

I also want to add this bit of information found in the same source.

"Review of AIMWTS revealed a total of 57 cases. There were 14 FC I cases and all received a
    waiver for a history of ADHD; all had been off any treatment before beginning college studies.
    There were a total of 7 FC II cases; the only DQ was an IFCII (flight surgeon) applicant on
    medications who was also ARMA unsat as he did not want to fly. For FC III, there were 36 cases
    with 21 disqualifications; 20 were on medications at the time of the waiver and the other one had a
    new diagnosis for an initial FC III waiver but was not yet on medication."

According to this the only DQ's given were to those who were still on meds or were starting meds. Based on this information found, I SHOULD have a good chance. We will see.
    This looks interesting. However, this forum is geared primarily towards the Army National Guard and does not apply to our members.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
      This looks interesting. However, this forum is geared primarily towards the Army National Guard and does not apply to our members.
      Gotcha, just wanted to update the post with what I found and see what everyone's insight on it was. It is interesting though, prior to that specific table it mentions the list of prerequisites to be met in order to not need a waiver, and if you need a waiver, you look at the table, than the table says this....o_0.... It is almost contradicting itself lol.

Do you guys know, am I able to bring all my documentation that I submitted with me to MEPS? Is this frowned upon or will this help my situation to come heavily prepared for a mental eval?

Comment

How about me?? I am a woman and very interested in joining but I have depression, history of suicide attempts, along with ovarian cysts. I was wondering will this hurt my chances of getting in??

Comment

Originally posted by hannahblanna View Post
          How about me?? I am a woman and very interested in joining but I have depression, history of suicide attempts, along with ovarian cysts. I was wondering will this hurt my chances of getting in??
          From my understanding the depression is not waiverable, but I may be wrong about that. The same for suicide attempts and thoughts. Those two combined, I dont think it will happen :/.. Ovarian cysts I don't know. You may want to make your own post about this matter, depression and ADHD are completely different, sometimes linked together, but different. Try starting a new post and see what you hear, good luck!

Comment

I would strongly recommend you take a look at AR 40-501. Ultimately, a recruiter will be the one who can verify if your specific circumstances disqualify you or not. Either way, here's what I found:

Chapter 2-27
            Depression

d. Current mood disorders including, but not limited to, major depression (296.2–3), bipolar (296.4–7), affective
            psychoses (296.8–9), depressive not otherwise specified (311), do not meet the standard.
            (Note: the DoDI Medical Standards further specifies any major depression "requiring outpatient care for longer than 12 months by a physician or other mental health professional." Furthermore:
            "g. Depressive disorder not otherwise specified (311), or unspecified mood disorder (296.90), [is disqualifying]
            UNLESS:
            (1) Outpatient care was not required for longer than 24 months (cumulative) by a
            physician or other mental health professional (to include V65.40).
            (2) The applicant has been stable without treatment for the past 36 continuous months.
            (3) The applicant did not require any inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential
            facility.")

Suicide Attempt
            j. History of suicidal behavior, including gesture(s) or attempt(s) (300.9), or history of self-mutilation, does not meet
            the standard.

Chapter 2-14
            Ovarian cysts

(6) Current or history of ovarian cysts (620.2), when persistent or symptomatic does not meet the standard.
            Last edited by RyCass; June 14th, 2012, 10:15 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Is this spam? Once you annotated the truth of your history of suicide attempts; your chances of enlisting should be PDQ. The military is experiencing a lot of issues with suicides. An order has now come down from the top that there will be a mandatory 48 hour rest period for all soldiers in the combat zone. I am now working the schedule for my soldiers. This is a very serious issue.

Comment

Heard from the recruiter today, however she has not heard back from MEPS yet. Hopefully we hear something soon, it would be great to actually get to MEPS.

Comment

wow, what a first post!

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post

wow, what a first post!
                    I like to leave nothing left out lol

I hope I receive that same reaction from MEPS when they actually look at all my stuff lol

Comment

Still nothing new. Haven't heard from the recruiter either. I think their email system is down or something.

Comment

Still nothing new, my PJ liaison got in touch with me and informed me that they have been busy with the holidays and should all be back on the 9th. Looks like I will need to keep occupied for the next week.

Few questions,

I never mentioned anything about speeding tickets to my recruiter, I do not remember discussing this with her when I sat down with her the one time. I was under the impression that as long as there are no open violations and all are paid up than it is not a big deal. I was curious if that is true, if not I do have a few minor speeding tickets, 5-15 mph over tickets, over the past 5 years that I did not mention, would it be something I will be required to disclose and is it something that would make my enlistment a bit more difficult?

Also do you guys know if my civilian secret clearance will transfer over or will I have to undergo another investigation?

I understand that I am going Air Guard and not Army, but for this post let us assume I were going Army NG (which I may end up doing at this rate). Thanks everyone!

Comment

I am currently waiting on a medical waiver for 2 herniated discs (presented, diagnosed, recovered w/ physical therapy) in my lower back from NGB to process thru to AIT. The reason it was 'caught' was because in the interim time between graduating from Basic and shipping for OCS, I had the injury, which resulted in me being dropped from OCS, which was a hard pill to swallow, and between that time and my ship date for my enlisted AIT, my physical expired - I submitted my paperwork to re-do my physical, MEPS caught the back injury, declared me unfit to serve, so we appealed to NGB and are waiting to hear. Appeal to NGB was sent approx 3 weeks ago, my ship date for AIT is 3 days away. I think my ship is sunk, but am holding out for a miracle. Best of luck to us both.

Any feedback from anyone re (informed) opinions, my chances for possible separation, etc would be most welcome - thanks to all for your support and service.

This just in - No hope for shipping this week, no news on waiver, no new ship date forecast. ****.
                          Last edited by alphamikefoxtrot; July 9th, 2012, 01:22 PM. Reason: news update

Comment

Originally posted by alphamikefoxtrot View Post
                            I am currently waiting on a medical waiver for 2 herniated discs (presented, diagnosed, recovered w/ physical therapy) in my lower back from NGB to process thru to AIT. The reason it was 'caught' was because in the interim time between graduating from Basic and shipping for OCS, I had the injury, which resulted in me being dropped from OCS, which was a hard pill to swallow, and between that time and my ship date for my enlisted AIT, my physical expired - I submitted my paperwork to re-do my physical, MEPS caught the back injury, declared me unfit to serve, so we appealed to NGB and are waiting to hear. Appeal to NGB was sent approx 3 weeks ago, my ship date for AIT is 3 days away. I think my ship is sunk, but am holding out for a miracle. Best of luck to us both.

Any feedback from anyone re (informed) opinions, my chances for possible separation, etc would be most welcome - thanks to all for your support and service.

This just in - No hope for shipping this week, no news on waiver, no new ship date forecast. ****.
                            Not sure if this will help, but the AR 40-501 Medical Standards states that a MEB would be required if:

"e. Herniation of nucleus pulposus. More than mild symptoms following appropriate treatment or remedial measures,
                            with sufficient objective findings to demonstrate interference with the satisfactory performance of duty."

Based strictly off of what you've posted, you've got a good chance of continuing on with your military goals providing you're healed and don't require continual medical care.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                              Not sure if this will help, but the AR 40-501 Medical Standards states that a MEB would be required if:

"e. Herniation of nucleus pulposus. More than mild symptoms following appropriate treatment or remedial measures,
                              with sufficient objective findings to demonstrate interference with the satisfactory performance of duty."

Based strictly off of what you've posted, you've got a good chance of continuing on with your military goals providing you're healed and don't require continual medical care.
                              That's great to hear - thank you! My worry is that back injuries are often rubber-stamped unacceptable because of the potential of recurrence without symptoms and the cost of long-term care. Thru the enlistment process it was quite obvious that head and back injuries were closely scrutinized because of the cost of care / potential for further injury, so my worried-mind has been unrelenting - just have to remind myself I've done all I can with diligence to doctor's orders and making sure all my documentation is in-line with what I've been told should appear / not appear in records. Just have to keep on with the 'hurry up and wait' for now

Comment

Originally posted by alphamikefoxtrot View Post
                                That's great to hear - thank you! My worry is that back injuries are often rubber-stamped unacceptable because of the potential of recurrence without symptoms and the cost of long-term care. Thru the enlistment process it was quite obvious that head and back injuries were closely scrutinized because of the cost of care / potential for further injury, so my worried-mind has been unrelenting - just have to remind myself I've done all I can with diligence to doctor's orders and making sure all my documentation is in-line with what I've been told should appear / not appear in records. Just have to keep on with the 'hurry up and wait' for now
                                You're welcome! Keep us posted on the out come. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X