X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropped Foot

I have a dropped foot and I want to join the Guard. Will I be able to. I have been on a million forums and have gotten a million answers. Is it waiverable.

Re: Dropped Foot

First, let me preface my comment with the statement that only a recruiter can give you the final word on if you are eligible to enlist or not.

However, according to the DoDI Medical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Military Service, having Foot Drop (a condition where the foot drags due to paralysis or damage/weakness of the peraneal nerve) would make you ineligible to enlist:

"Current or history of neuromuscular paralysis, weakness, contracture, or atrophy (728) of sufficient degree to interfere with or prevent satisfactory performance of military duty, or requires frequent or prolonged treatment." (20.i, pg 32)

Simply put, if you cannot properly perform the physical requirements of an Army Physical Fitness test, which includes a 2 mile run, then you would not qualify to enlist. This is not waiverable.

Comment

I actually run and walk fine, and boots completely allieiviate the condition. So does that improve my odds?

Comment

Ultimately it is up to the MEPS Doctor. If you are serious about wanting to join the National Guard, you should start the process now. Don't waste your time worrying about if you have a chance, just jump in and make it happen! HOOAH!

Comment

Working...
        X