X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wanting to join and pregnant now.

I have been wanting to join the National Guard since I was 15 . At age 16 I was elgible but due to My legal status in the U.S. I wasn't able to join. The recruiter had told me that I could join as soon as I received My Social . I am now 17 and recently received My work permit and will receive My social in 3 weeks . I am very excited and would love to join as soon as possible. The career I have chosen is Law enforcement. I want to become a police officer . Since I haven't finished high school, I was told when I join the National Guard I can finish high school than. Is this true? I am currently 3 months pregnant and I am concerned if this would be a problem. I know it will when I get My physical training but first I need to finish high school. I don't want to waste time . My question is , can I join being pregnant? Finish high school while pregnant and than when the Baby comes, go straight to My training ? My point is, I wild like to do something now that I already have the oppertunity eventhough I'm pregnant and continue after birth. Please help!

Re: wanting to join and pregnant now.

No, pregnancy is a temporary disqualifier for service.

Unfortunately, being unmarried with a dependant child under the age of 18 is also a disqualifier (if you retain custody rights to your child).

I don't believe this is waiverable.

A bit of non-judgmental personal advice. I would NOT entertain either getting married or giving up your parental rights in order to enlist into the service!

Kindest Regards-

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post

Unfortunately, being unmarried with a dependant child under the age of 18 is also a disqualifier (if you retain custody rights to your child).

A bit of non-judgmental personal advice. I would NOT entertain either getting married or giving up your parental rights in order to enlist into the service!

Kindest Regards-
      +1

Not trying to pass judgment but having a baby at your age should divert the focus to your child. You are choosing careers that require the highest form of moral character, judgment and maturity. You need to work your present issues out. Seventeen and pregnant does make me cringe and shake my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post

Kindest Regards-
        Actually sir, she can still join being a single parent. She just has to get a family care plan.

Bay- you'll wont be able to join until at least 6 months after the birth of your baby. Then you would have to complete a family care plan which basically states who will have custody of your child while you are at training or if you deploy.

Comment

HR NCO is correct. For the regulation reference, Bay, you can check out AR 601-210, Chapter 2-10. Let us know if you have any questions about what a Family Care Plan is and what kind of information you'll need.

Good luck!

Comment

I stand corrected!! I just looked up the AR for another post and remembered this one. BN level waiver and a family care plan. That's good news for you! Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X