Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Therapy Student Looking to go Basic Branch Route

Hi,

I am a physical therapy student. I am looking into joining the guard and have a question or two. Is it possible for me to join and put off my basic training until I graduate? This is more than a year from now and I know the standard one year after enlisting you are supposed to have basic done, but in my case could it be possible to postpone a little longer? I will not be able to attend in the summer due to clinicals/class (this summer and next). I can't do ROTC either because I will be gone on clinic and don't think I will be able to find the time take the classes. (and I graduate next August too, supposedly it is a 2 year deal for grad students.

Thanks for your help

Re: Physical Therapy Student Looking to go Basic Branch Route

Sorry. No, you can not. Finish college then step up. We'll still be here.

Comment

Howard, you are all over the map on here. In my opinion (I know everyone has one), your only goal right now should be to graduate with your Physical Therepy degree. My wife is an OT and I recall how difficult it was to juggle life while she was doing her graudate studies and fieldwork. Regarless, unless you plan on dropping out of PT school for two years there is no way to juggle potential Army Officership and your coursework. Why are you so interested in joining right now?

Comment

It may seem like I am all over the map because I don't know what the process is like or how things work in the military (hence my questions). My immediate goal is graduating pt school. All I am doing is simply figuring out what is out there for me. I figured I could try see if someone has been there before and could possibly tell me what route I need to take.

Comment

That's great that you have goals and are trying to coordinate a path to make everything come together. Good for you!

As far as your options for becoming an Officer, does your school have an ROTC program? This may be a good way for you to get "started" while also incorporating your military obligations into your scholastic endeavors.

If they don't, and you still want to drill while attending school, you might try waiting until you're six months to one year out from when you're wanting to go to training before you enlist. To do this, you'll want to find a recruiter you can work with that will help you time everything as closely as possible. Keep in mind, though, that training slots are first come, first serve; so the longer you wait, the less likely you'll get the time frame you're looking for.

Ultimately, whether you decide to finish school first or try to enlist before you graduate is a personal choice. Take a look at how loaded your school schedule will be and be honest with how much work you can handle. Becoming a Soldier takes time commitment and dedication. The best thing you can do for yourself is to start only when you're ready.

Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck with your studies!

Comment

Working...
          X