X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Join National Guard Junior in High School

I am currently 16 and attending high school as a junior. I would like to enlist in the National Guard when I turn 17. I have parental consent. My birthday is July 26th. I want to do the Split Option and do basic training over the summer. The only thing is that my birthday is July 26 so would the split option be an option for me. I am aiming to attend Norwich University and enroll in the Army ROTC program there and do SMP. How would this all work out? What is the process?

Re: Join National Guard Junior in High School

Talk with a recruiter, tell him what you plan to do. Plan it all out so you can enlist on or around your birthday. You may not be able to go to basic until the following summer just so you know. Complete basic whenever its possible, go to your first year in college and speak with the ROTC recruiters there. They will help enroll you in the program and contract you as an SMP cadet(as long as their are slots available). It's fairly simple to map out... However might be a little harder to put into action. Work it out as soon as possible, that way it's all taken care of later!
    Last edited by EOrsini; May 25th, 2012, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Split Option for this summer is CLOSED. You can STILL enlist this summer and start drilling with the RSP right away. Go to BCT the following summer. It will be interesting with the timeline for ROTC at Norwich. You could very likely 'get out' of going to an enlisted AIT altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        You could very likely 'get out' of going to an enlisted AIT altogether.
        That is what a friend of mine was able to do. He did a split op and went to BCT last summer and this summer he was supposed to go to AIT, but when he signed his ROTC contract, it superceeded his enlistment contract and now he's going to LDAC rather than AIT.

Comment

When was the last time we had a kid post here indicating parental consent instead of the opposite??!!? Good for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Rescue View Post
            That is what a friend of mine was able to do. He did a split op and went to BCT last summer and this summer he was supposed to go to AIT, but when he signed his ROTC contract, it superceeded his enlistment contract and now he's going to LDAC rather than AIT.
            Not 100% sure, but I think that by not going to AIT he would not be eligble for the GI Bill.

Also, I think you have to be 17 and so many months to enlist so signing on or right after your birthday may not be possible. Hopefully a recruiter can chime in and confirm or correct me.

Comment

In order to qualify for the GI Bill, you must be MOS qualified. It is recommended for financial reasons to complete AIT because at your MS III and IV level you will make a pretty sufficient amount of money with your drill check and GI Bill combined.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                Not 100% sure, but I think that by not going to AIT he would not be eligble for the GI Bill.

Also, I think you have to be 17 and so many months to enlist so signing on or right after your birthday may not be possible. Hopefully a recruiter can chime in and confirm or correct me.
                That's correct SGT. To qualify for the MGIB, he needs to have fully completed IET.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I am going to talk to a recruiter after Memorial Day. I am doing the Norwich FLC this summer it starts July 22 and ends August 4 so I will enlist after that and hopefully start doing drilling through RSP. But will I still do basic once I'm accepted at Norwich and enrolled in ROTC?

Comment

The age requirement is 17 years old AND a high school Junior. You can enlist on your birthday if you'd like.

The basic training issue is one of timeframe. The Cadet that is currently shadowing me was set to ship to BCT last summer after he enlisted. He hurt his ankle and BCT had to be postponed. He then started school and enrolled in ROTC in the fall, still not having attended basic. He is now an MS2, a 4 year scholorship recipient, and has never spent anytime on active duty for training! This was a fluke however. He would have attended BCT if it were not for his transient injury.

Comment

Working...
                    X