X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic violations, enlisting, and OCS -- need advise PLEASE

So before everyone starts telling me to ask my recruiter -- he didn't know what exactly to tell me, but said he will put my paperwork through and "hope" it all works out.

I have a ton of tickets on my record -- 16 to be exact. They range from tinted windows, loud exhaust, dead inspections, and a few speeding tickets. I also have one reckless that was reduced to a simple speeding ticket and a driving on suspended, but was reduced to driving without a license in my possession (which is essentially forgetting it at home and driving without it on my person). Most of these happened before I was an adult and I have not had a moving violation in years.

Most of this didn't show up on my DMV record that I pulled back in September, but did so today when I finally measured in after dropping some serious weight and started the process of getting me to MEPS. The report he pulled (state police check I suppose) showed all of the tickets I have ever gotten... even those that were dropped, nolle prossed, reduced, etc...

He told me that they would ALL be used against me and at the charge they were initially put in as even though many were reduced or dropped altogether.

How can this be? How can they be used against me even if they were dropped or nolle prossed? What kind of screwed up rule is this?

He said if I somehow had a miracle and was able to get in that I would have no chance at getting into OCS. Is this true?

What say you all about this?

Re: Traffic violations, enlisting, and OCS -- need advise PLEASE

Originally posted by jasoncb4 View Post
    So before everyone starts telling me to ask my recruiter -- he didn't know what exactly to tell me, but said he will put my paperwork through and "hope" it all works out.

I have a ton of tickets on my record -- 16 to be exact. They range from tinted windows, loud exhaust, dead inspections, and a few speeding tickets. I also have one reckless that was reduced to a simple speeding ticket and a driving on suspended, but was reduced to driving without a license in my possession (which is essentially forgetting it at home and driving without it on my person). Most of these happened before I was an adult and I have not had a moving violation in years.

Most of this didn't show up on my DMV record that I pulled back in September, but did so today when I finally measured in after dropping some serious weight and started the process of getting me to MEPS. The report he pulled (state police check I suppose) showed all of the tickets I have ever gotten... even those that were dropped, nolle prossed, reduced, etc...

He told me that they would ALL be used against me and at the charge they were initially put in as even though many were reduced or dropped altogether.

How can this be? How can they be used against me even if they were dropped or nolle prossed? What kind of screwed up rule is this?

He said if I somehow had a miracle and was able to get in that I would have no chance at getting into OCS. Is this true?

What say you all about this?

What state are you in?

Comment

I believe there is a limit to traffic violations that will require a waiver. A recruiter will answer your question.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
        What state are you in?
        I am in Virginia.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
          I believe there is a limit to traffic violations that will require a waiver. A recruiter will answer your question.
          He didn't know the answer. His answer was "let's just hope it all works out."

I couldn't find where this limit on tickets was and more specifically all the other rules surrounding past violations even if they were reduced, dropped, or nolle prossed...

Comment

I couldn't find where this limit on tickets was and more specifically all the other rules surrounding past violations even if they were reduced, dropped, or nolle prossed...
            The amount of minor traffic violations (called level 100) that you can have without needing a waiver is currently 12. If you have 13 to 25, you are still eligible to enlist, but you will need a waiver. This information is in the ARNG Accessions Options Criteria FY 12/13. Keep in mind, this is for minor offenses. For more information on what traffic offenses are considered waiverable see AR 601-210, Figure 4-1. This regulation also goes into great detail on the waiver process. Your recruiter might find what they are looking for in there.

Also, your recruiter is correct. Currently, no medical or administrative waivers are accepted for Officer Candidate School.
            Last edited by RyCass; May 15th, 2012, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
              The amount of minor traffic violations (called level 100) that you can have without needing a waiver is currently 12. If you have 13 to 25, you are still eligible to enlist, but you will need a waiver. This information is in the ARNG Accessions Options Criteria FY 12/13. Keep in mind, this is for minor offenses. For more information on what traffic offenses are considered waiverable see AR 601-210, Figure 4-1. This regulation also goes into great detail on the waiver process. Your recruiter might find what they are looking for in there.

Also, your recruiter is correct. Currently, no medical or administrative waivers are accepted for Officer Candidate School.
              Thanks for the help. Very, very much appreciated. I'll forward it all along to my recruiter for him to use as well.

Maybe you can share with me the info on why tickets that were dropped or nolle prossed are still going to be used against me? I complied with the law and still get dinged for it? Maybe I missed that part in AR 601-210 Fig. 4-1 through Fig. 5 ....

Comment

Maybe you can share with me the info on why tickets that were dropped or nolle prossed are still going to be used against me? I complied with the law and still get dinged for it? Maybe I missed that part in AR 601-210 Fig. 4-1 through Fig. 5 ....
                Glad I could help! As far as the specifics to your traffic violations, you'll need to speak to your recruiter. Without knowing the details of each violation and your state laws, I cannot give you details as to why some tickets that were previously dropped are showing up now.

Good luck!

Comment

Who is your recruiter? He should already know this information, it's pretty basic recruiting stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                    Who is your recruiter? He should already know this information, it's pretty basic recruiting stuff.
                    I'd rather not personally bash the guy...

What I am doing now is going to the court and getting all kinds of paperwork on me because it seems like some of the tickets were entered two or even three times on the police check he pulled. It said I had three reckless tickets on the same day!?!? I think I would have remembered that...

Anyway -- thanks for all the help and advice. Please feel free to share more if you have it. I know there are a lot of knowledgable and experienced people on this board.

Comment

Working...
                    X