X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 too old?

I thought about joining the guard back in 09 but then was offered a job with the state government. Kept putting off joining because of work stuff mostly because I worked nights and weekends and our department was always short staffed so there was a lot of over time. Finally got a promotion to a different department, have a normal schedule and successfully completed the 6 month probationary period. I am still interested in joining but worry I might have waited too long. I will be 31 this year. What are your thoughts about joining later in life?

Re: 30 too old?

I just enlisted a month ago, and I turn 29 in June. I don't think 30/31 is too old at all. At my last RSP I wasn't the oldest new recruit there, but I was close. None of the high school aged recruits treated me any differently. If anything it gave me a bit of a leg up on maturity. You don't want to wait till it is too late and regret not enlisting.

Comment

Originally posted by rmp2 View Post
      I thought about joining the guard back in 09 but then was offered a job with the state government. Kept putting off joining because of work stuff mostly because I worked nights and weekends and our department was always short staffed so there was a lot of over time. Finally got a promotion to a different department, have a normal schedule and successfully completed the 6 month probationary period. I am still interested in joining but worry I might have waited too long. I will be 31 this year. What are your thoughts about joining later in life?
      Definitely not too old! Non Prior Service maximum enlistment age is 35, so you are good to go! You can find out if you meet all the enlistment requirements at http://www.nationalguard.com/car This is an online Pre-Qualification to start the process when you are ready. Good Luck! Please feel free to let us know if we can help answer any questions.

Comment

31 years old isn't too old by any means. A little later than most who join the service but thats OK. Technically males don't reach thier physical conditioning peak till mid/late 30's, so you won't be grandpa status, at least not physcially. In basic training you can expect to be called grandpa though lol!

I have a few subordinate soldiers who are a bit older than me. One of my E-4's is in his mid 40's, he joined a couple years ago right before the age cutoff. He is one of the best soldiers in my platoon, and within the company. That being said I think a big part of his success is his ability to accept the fact that nearly all of his leadership will be considerably younger than he is. I'm an E-6 at 26 years old, almost half his age and 2 leadership positions over him but he doesn't let the massive age differences get in the way and hurt his ego. He is very self motivated, works hard, is in great shape and always gives 100%. If you can follow that formula you have nothing to be concerned about.

Comment

I'm 38 & I just graduated BCT October 2011 & an Honor Grad at that. Age is just a number; go for it!

Comment

30 too old? Thats a new one to me.

Comment

I just enlisted in March and I'm 33...I'll turn 34 at BCT. If you want to do it, go for it....don't be like my boyfriend who sat around thinking out it until time passed him by. Now he is ready and willing to join with a great skill set that I think would be very beneficial to the Guard, but he is already 35 and can't get in.

Comment

I'm 30 and I ship to BCT 12 June ... I'll turn 31 just before the end of basic! I'm finding that it's more and more common for us 30-somethings to be looking for something else to do/new career options ... and I couldn't be more excited about leaving! I think it's a great move and when you put it all down on paper, the pros will out-weight the cons by far (if you end up having any cons...).
                Plus, I'm not even the oldest at RSP - and I'm still kickin' butt on PT

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                  I'm 38 & I just graduated BCT October 2011 & an Honor Grad at that. Age is just a number; go for it!
                  Seconded.

I've noticed that the older we get, this stuff is actually easier. The kids may recover from the physical stuff more quickly, but mentally, the older guys are way better off. Go for it.

Comment

I hope 30 is not too old. I'm 40 and waiting to hear if JAG accepts me. Find out in August-September and if successful likely start my training as I turn 41 early next year.

Comment

I just turned 40 last month and off to AIT!

Just to add insult to injury: There's a guy in my RSP unit that's 42 and he's going 18X. Yes sir!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                        Seconded.

I've noticed that the older we get, this stuff is actually easier. The kids may recover from the physical stuff more quickly, but mentally, the older guys are way better off. Go for it.
                        You got it. It's quite an ego boost to outperform 17 and 18 year-olds at 40.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                          Just to add insult to injury: There's a guy in my RSP unit that's 42 and he's going 18X. Yes sir!!
                          How is he going 18X @ 42 years old, when I thought the max. age limit for Special Forces is 30? Maybe a question for SFHunter...

Comment

Just an update. I am going to talk to a recruiter on Friday. Going to setting up a date and time to take the ASVAB. I want to thank everyone that responded with such positive reinforcement. I will try to update in case anyone is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Loyal0ne81 View Post
                              How is he going 18X @ 42 years old, when I thought the max. age limit for Special Forces is 30? Maybe a question for SFHunter...
                              He's prior service.

Comment

Working...
                              X