Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

30 too old?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: 30 too old?

    Just another quick update. I talked to a recruiter. Told him everything about me that he might need to know. Says I shouldn't have any problems getting in. I take the ASVAB on Wednesday May 23. I grabbed a book from the library so I could do some quick studying (math is my Kryptonite). So wish me luck I guess.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: 30 too old?

      Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
      He's prior service.
      How is he going 18X when the National Guard does not possess 18X as an Enlistment Option at all what so ever, 18X is purely Active Duty only.

      You mean REP63?

      REP63 = Guard version of 18X

      That said, regarding age that's brought up again and again, what's the oldest Soldier any of you have met so far fresh from AIT or OSUT?

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: 30 too old?

        Originally posted by FutureEngineer View Post
        How is he going 18X when the National Guard does not possess 18X as an Enlistment Option at all what so ever, 18X is purely Active Duty only.

        You mean REP63?

        REP63 = Guard version of 18X

        That said, regarding age that's brought up again and again, what's the oldest Soldier any of you have met so far fresh from AIT or OSUT?
        The oldest guy I saw that was going to go 18X was 26 but he was from another state. Well, what happened was this guy thought it would be funny to streak the whole company during FTX. They pulled his airborne contract. Couldn't have happened to a better jackwagon. Most arrogant, elitist S.O.B. on Earth. Anyways, I'm not sure of the exact channels the 42 year-old guy had to go through to get 18X. But I'm thinking it had to do with some rules could be overlooked according to state needs. I'm also not sure what capacity he'll actually be in once he's done with training. But he'll be in the 20th stationed in Anniston, AL. There are a couple other qualifications he had but I'm not going to single the guy out too much.
        Last edited by VICEROY06; May 22nd, 2012, 10:20 AM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: 30 too old?

          update! Took the ASVAB today. Got a 78. Better than I thought I would get considering I only studied 2 days and I hadn't seen this stuff for about 10 years or so.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: 30 too old?

            Yes, it is harder to deal with military life as you get older but on active duty I have met a few specialists that joined when they were 37 and 38 years old. One is in my section and that is rare. They are now in their 40s on their first deployment. They had worked in the banking and construction industry before deciding on military service. They still do not know if they want to complete 20 years of active military service. But when active duty soldiers see a junior enlisted soldier that looks like their grandfather; they automatically assume that soldier got busted until they understand that in the reserve components; you can see an aged junior enlisted troop.

            I joined the Army Reserves in Jan 1983 at the ripe-old age of 17. If it was active from day one; I will be completing 30 years of active service this upcoming January but many things happened to me along the way. I will be retiring with 20 years of active service and due to my long break; I have now over 22 years of service. Personally, I do not recommend it since it takes a toll on the body; especially on the soldiers that do this daily with 5 days of PT; even while deployed. Because of my rank and position; I am left alone and do PT on my own time so it is a little easier to bear. As you do move up in rank; you should end up having that PT schedule latitude but serving in the NG component will take a less toll on the body since you will have much more days to recover.

            Congrats.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: 30 too old?

              Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
              Yes, it is harder to deal with military life as you get older but on active duty I have met a few specialists that joined when they were 37 and 38 years old. One is in my section and that is rare. They are now in their 40s on their first deployment. They had worked in the banking and construction industry before deciding on military service. They still do not know if they want to complete 20 years of active military service. But when active duty soldiers see a junior enlisted soldier that looks like their grandfather; they automatically assume that soldier got busted until they understand that in the reserve components; you can see an aged junior enlisted troop.

              I joined the Army Reserves in Jan 1983 at the ripe-old age of 17. If it was active from day one; I will be completing 30 years of active service this upcoming January but many things happened to me along the way. I will be retiring with 20 years of active service and due to my long break; I have now over 22 years of service. Personally, I do not recommend it since it takes a toll on the body; especially on the soldiers that do this daily with 5 days of PT; even while deployed. Because of my rank and position; I am left alone and do PT on my own time so it is a little easier to bear. As you do move up in rank; you should end up having that PT schedule latitude but serving in the NG component will take a less toll on the body since you will have much more days to recover.

              Congrats.
              This is why I joined NG. My experience in doing PT and 30/60's and 60/120's, AGR's (group B) and climbing 5 story tall ropes all day everyday in basic training at Ft. Benning almost destroyed my joints. Hopefully I'll be an officer in accelerated next year. I only have one shot as I turn 42 in 2014.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: 30 too old?

                Well I am glad there are others who think positively. I am going to be 32 in June and I am getting with my recruiter next week to schedule my ASVAB and get into the details....I have been wanting to join for many years-sometimes want to kick myself for not doing it when I was younger...but I went to college and started working. It has taken me a year to lose the weight I needed to lose (60 lbs) but I am still NOT a runner. I have not focused much on training yet so I guess this week it must begin. It takes me about 12-13 mts for a 1 mile run. I couldnt ever seem to get past that, so of course running is my biggest concern.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: 30 too old?

                  Originally posted by JessRae View Post
                  Well I am glad there are others who think positively. I am going to be 32 in June and I am getting with my recruiter next week to schedule my ASVAB and get into the details....I have been wanting to join for many years-sometimes want to kick myself for not doing it when I was younger...but I went to college and started working. It has taken me a year to lose the weight I needed to lose (60 lbs) but I am still NOT a runner. I have not focused much on training yet so I guess this week it must begin. It takes me about 12-13 mts for a 1 mile run. I couldnt ever seem to get past that, so of course running is my biggest concern.
                  Great to hear that you on your way to joining the Guard Family! Sounds like you are already past some of your biggest hurdles. With a dedication and consistant training, you will be able to cut time off your run, no worries!

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X