X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would the Guard be a good fit for me?

I got a phone call yesterday from a man from the Navy who had seen my resume online and we had a pretty good conversation about my skills and qualifications. I did ask for more information about the available jobs and those are in the mail and on the way so I'll still have a look at them.

My main concern with the Navy is being away from my family for the long periods of time, and while that can still happen with the Guard, it's not as frequent, correct?

I do enjoy helping people and protecting my community and country so I'm giving enlisting into a branch a lot of thought.

I just moved to NC from W.Va and haven't been able to find work so having something to take my mind off of those things and that could potentially help me land a good job in the future makes enlisting look that much better from that aspect.

Anyway, just trying to get some input on what I should do.

Thanks

Re: Would the Guard be a good fit for me?

The guard is generally better for if you have a job already, or are in school. Of course, plenty of people struggle to find work and are still in the guard. If being away from your family is the concern, I don't know what the current statistic is, but the guard at one point deployed more than the active guys... Of course, you aren't held to a base with the guard. I have juggled/am still juggling whether I want to possibly pursue going active, but for me right now, the guard is the best fit for me, as I am trying to get a career started after college.

What type of jobs are you interested in doing in terms of military? there are plenty of people around here from all of the jobs that can help you out with details on all of them.

Comment

First off, Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated.

I've been a computer/tech guy all of my life really, I started out by just messing around with computers nearly 13 or so years ago because I was bored and interested in how those darn things did what they did. I ended up taking computer classes throughout middle school and high school (Took 1 year of ROTC and enjoyed it, but didn't have room on my schedule the next year).

Along with a few others I worked for the county for 2 summers helping manage the computers throughout the school system. We did various tasks from updating programs, anti virus, adding/replacing hardware, setting up new labs and networks throughout the county.

I think a tech field would be the best fit for me at the moment, but lately I've also been more curious about the medical field for whatever reason, again I guess I just like to figure out how things work the way they do.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Every component of the military has Reserve Components. Even the Marine Corps has a Reserve Component.

Just figure out your "niche".

During several points of time, more than 60% of Servicemen deployed overseas were Reserve Components.

No idea what it is now.

Comment

I started messing with computers probably close to 13 years ago if not more. I was bored and just wanted to see what was inside the case, before long I was doing most basic tasks and pretty much learning from experience.

I took computer classes all throughout middle school and high school along with one year of ROTC, would have done more but my schedule would not allow it.

Along with others I worked for the board of education during the summers of 2006 and 2007 helping manage all of the school computers throughout the county.

We would do anything from the basic tasks of updating software, antivirus, installation of hardware and peripherals, installation of new labs, and managed/setup networks.

I think a tech field would be my best option, but I've also had a strong interest in the medical field lately.

I hope this helps!

Thanks

Comment

You definitely have the right attitude; when one path has left you waiting, move forward on another! There a lot of great things about being enlisted and the best way to go about finding your niche is to choose a job specialty, or MOS, that suits you and your goals. For example, what kind areas are you interested in? Do you have training in your civilian job that you could use as a Soldier? Would you like to attend college and parlay that into a career as an Officer? If you're not sure of any of these answers, you might try looking at this MOS list as a starting point: http://www.nationalguard.com/careers/mos-guard-jobs. Once you can identify what interests you, it's much easier to determine how to get started!

Let me know if you have questions! I'm happy to help where I can.

Comment

on the enlisted side, most of your computer stuff is going to fall under the signal corps, and your most exciting bet for medical is combat medic (68W). there are of course more low stress medical jobs you can get though, such as working in the hospitals and things like that. In NC it might be hard to find stuff like that though. I am not sure what they have available.

Comment

I grew up in Lewisburg, W.Va and can relocate back if needed with ease.

As far as what computer areas I'm interested in, honestly I'm willing to learn whatever I need to do, but would prefer the general repair type deal, however we don't always get what we want in life as we all know!

The only training I have in my civilian life is the computer work I've done, and my ROTC experience which was mainly PT and course work. We didn't get the chance to do much else that year because sadly we had a few guys in the class who took it as a joke and ruined it for the rest of us.

Comment

I am currently 27 and after summer I will have 24 semester hours in college. I am giving a lot of consideration to joining the Guard. I just don't know what jobs I would be good at. I'm going to school for radiology and I know they have a option for that, but it is very limited. I also looked at a imagery analyst job which looked very interesting. Just wondering if anyone had info on what direction I might want to go? Thanks for any information.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny27 View Post
                    I am currently 27 and after summer I will have 24 semester hours in college. I am giving a lot of consideration to joining the Guard. I just don't know what jobs I would be good at. I'm going to school for radiology and I know they have a option for that, but it is very limited. I also looked at a imagery analyst job which looked very interesting. Just wondering if anyone had info on what direction I might want to go? Thanks for any information.
                    why not think about commissioning? If you look up on the forums, there is an specialty officer board where you can ask questions about different medical officer jobs and get those guys input.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny27 View Post
                      Figure out what it is you're interested and don't let your civilian education drive that decision. There doesn't have to be a 1:1 relationship between what you do when you're in uniform and what you do in the civilian side. You can be a radiology tech AND an infantryman...having a MOS different from your civilian job isn't a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by LostInLife View Post
                        I started messing with computers probably close to 13 years ago if not more. I was bored and just wanted to see what was inside the case, before long I was doing most basic tasks and pretty much learning from experience.

I took computer classes all throughout middle school and high school along with one year of ROTC, would have done more but my schedule would not allow it.

Along with others I worked for the board of education during the summers of 2006 and 2007 helping manage all of the school computers throughout the county.

We would do anything from the basic tasks of updating software, antivirus, installation of hardware and peripherals, installation of new labs, and managed/setup networks.

I think a tech field would be my best option, but I've also had a strong interest in the medical field lately.

I hope this helps!

Thanks
                        You remind me of a friend of mine.

You already have a good background in computers, ever thought of electronics repair or radio operation? Look at 25C! Buddy from Microsoft is soon to branch 91A but his Enlisted MOS was 25C. He designs headphones and signal systems for XBOXs like the Kinnect, etc. Radio theory they do in 25C is what helped him understand transmissions, etc. (His Degree is in Software Engineering)

He can do all sorts of stuff over the Radio, and for a while was even working with the states G6. It opened up a LOT of career possiblities. His goal is to get into 89E as an EOD Officer.

What really pushed him forward was Enlisted side 25C. Because like you, despite his degree he's spent most of his time designing computer networks and for a while configuring signal devices for XBox360s. (It's amazing how much code there is for you to push the "R" button)

There is also Biomedical, if your state has a Medical Unit, and you like a Medical Environment but want to stay towards Technology, look at Biomedical Repair. =) Like 68A, I know Seattle has a few of them. (A supervisor I had a while back was Medical Logistics, she knew quite a few of them) Defintiely would be something different, and you'd repair and work on systems 25Us can't even touch. (Lots of components that are specific toward medical technology) Could even possibly open up new civilian career opportunities as well.

EDIT

And 68W is a Medical job you might like, but keep in mind you can end up in a Hospital, Field Hospital, or a line unit. At Madigan when I was visiting a buddy of mine who had to end his tour in Afghanistan early, all of the Nursing Assistants were Army Medics and Navy Corpsman. (They were the ones feeding, clothing, and cleaning the patients there) They worked under the Nurses like a normal Medical or Nursing Assistant in a regular hospital would. (Oddly enough though, all the Nurses I saw and talked to said they were Air Force.... Don't think I met any Army Nurses there)

EDIT

If you want to go really different, like a total change of environment, ever looked into the Army Engineers? Or Army Mechanics? Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics believe it or not work on all sorts of things. When I was in Job Corps, we had one of the guys in my class do an Internship with the National Guard, he said the Mechanics he worked with were top notch, and could turn a toaster into a tank! I'm not sure if he was exaggerating, but he always spoke very highly of the Mechanics he worked with. He never gave details on exactly what he did with them or what kind of stuff they worked with. But when me and my friends would sneak off center we would go look through the fences at the Armoury.

They had big tank thing with wheels a bunch of different semi trucks and hummers, a bunch of metal box things we were thinking were generators a bunch of different trailors and even tractors. I'm assuming when my classmate said they worked on anything with an engine, that they also worked on all of that stuff to. I don't know if they ever get to drive the stuff though. But if you want something way different and totally out of your element, but want to stay technical, I would definitely look at the wheeled vehicle mechanics, and the Engineers!

EDIT
                        LOL funny story, (and true) one of the days my classmate came back on center from his internship that day, he was literally soaking wet, and had mud all over him from his boots to his hair on the top of his head. He walked up to me and a friend of mine, and asked her if she wanted a hug (she didn't realize he was soaked and dirty because her back was turned), she said yes, she hugged him, and it was funny as heck from that point on! lol! We asked him what the heck happened to him, his reply "I was cleaning some dirty cracks" and walked away. lol! we were all rolling!
                        Last edited by FutureEngineer; May 8th, 2012, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Holy information! lol

All of that is great stuff that is worth looking into for sure.

I plan on going back to school as well, the Guard does help pay for that, correct?

During my years in school I still do the weekend deal and drills if I'm correct, if not please correct me with the correct information.

My main motive outside of helping people is simply getting experience and hopefully setting myself up down the road with a good civilian job, but may continue my service if it feels right. Right now with the economy nobody wants to take a chance on anybody anymore, I've been looking for a steady job for a little over a year now and have been thinking about the Guard for quite awhile to just get my foot in the door and get my butt back in school and see where life takes me.

Comment

Originally posted by LostInLife View Post
                            Holy information! lol

All of that is great stuff that is worth looking into for sure.

I plan on going back to school as well, the Guard does help pay for that, correct?

During my years in school I still do the weekend deal and drills if I'm correct, if not please correct me with the correct information.

My main motive outside of helping people is simply getting experience and hopefully setting myself up down the road with a good civilian job, but may continue my service if it feels right. Right now with the economy nobody wants to take a chance on anybody anymore, I've been looking for a steady job for a little over a year now and have been thinking about the Guard for quite awhile to just get my foot in the door and get my butt back in school and see where life takes me.
                            just a warning, take everything futureengineer says with a grain of salt. he is not in the guard, and is wrong about almost everything. He has kind of earned the re****tion of a spammer around here...

Comment

Originally posted by iambrian90 View Post
                              just a warning, take everything futureengineer says with a grain of salt. he is not in the guard, and is wrong about almost everything. He has kind of earned the re****tion of a spammer around here...
                              Ahh, I just love those people....

Comment

Working...
                              X