Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth contacting a recruiter (OTH, RE-4, re-enlistment)

Hello all,

I received an OTH discharge from the Army, RE-code 4. Two weeks into basic training we were sent home for Christmas Holiday. Based on implied advice from the Captain at BCT (he didn't come out and say I shouldn't come back, obviously) and other active duty friends, I didn't return to BCT after Holiday. I turned myself in a few months later and went through the standard AWOL process. My Captain assumed I would get an entry level seperation, but that did not happen.

I am a homosexual. Without boring you over the details, this is why it was best for me to leave at that time, or so I thought.

If I can prove that I left for DADT reasons, do I have any shot at re-enlistment? I contacted my old Captain and he said he would go to bat for me in any way he could, FWIW.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Is it worth contacting a recruiter (OTH, RE-4, re-enlistment)

I think in order to be eligible to re-enter after DADT you need to have a certain code on your 214 (not an RE-4) If you could get something signed by someone high up in your state, or have the CPT at basic talk to someone about possibly getting your 214 changed to that code, you might stand a chance. Until that happens though, you are probably not going to be getting in with the RE-4

Comment

If that was not listed as the reason for seperation than you probably don't have a chance. You will be hard pressed to find a recruiter that would even want to bother trying.

Comment

Agreed. I am very sorry for your negative experience surrounding your sexual orientation but your unfortunate decision resulting in an RE-4 pretty much sinks the proverbial ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
          Agreed. I am very sorry for your negative experience surrounding your sexual orientation but your unfortunate decision resulting in an RE-4 pretty much sinks the proverbial ship.
          OTH is not a characterization of service that was authorized for being homeosexual, commonly reffered to as a chapter 15.

You were kicked out for AWOL which is a seperation for misconduct, hence you got an OTH.

There is no way you are getting back in as far as the future lets us see.

Comment

I appreciate the insight, folks. You've saved me from wasting a lot of time pursuing this.

Thanks again for the kind regards and honest info. Be well.

-Brian

Comment

Working...
            X