Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question regarding BCT for prior service.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding BCT for prior service.

Hello,

I have a question for anyone able to answer it or anyone able to point me in the right direction.

Is there anyway to waiver BCT or do something else other then BCT?

A little background on my situation:

I'm prior service Air National Guard, and I've been out less then one year. Before my ETS date for the Air Force, I had started the process of crossing over to the Army National Guard, Feb. of 2011.

My ETS date was May of 2011.

The recruiter who was doing the paperwork on the Army side while my unit was working on the out-processing and crossing over paperwork. Somewhere during the paperwork process, some documents we not dated or properly filled out. This caused a delay in my processing over to the Army National Guard.

While awaiting the release from the Air Force, my recruiter and I discussed my future career options. I had my eyes set on OCS which I had been told was going to be like basic training all over again and then I was to take tech school depending on my OCS rank. There was no mention or anything of needing to take BCT.

Unfortunately, while awaiting paperwork from my unit, my ETS date passed and I went from Air National Guard to some reserve status. This caused an even longer delay in my release and crossing-over paperwork.

Around June, we (my recruiter and myself) were still awaiting on my release. During this time I had been unemployed and had to leave the state in search of employment. I returned earlier this year and contacted my recruiter to start back up on my paperwork. I had finally been released around Oct of 2011.

When starting back up on my in-processing, the recruiter told me of a new regulation that states prior service have to take BCT. He never mentioned it before so I do believe it is a new regulation.

I am wondering how new of a regulation it is, if there is a grandfather rule to the regulation or if there is any wavier to BCT?

It's not that I do not want to take BCT but it's that I'd prefer not to if at all possible, especially due to my current living circumstances. My girlfriend's dad had to move in so that we could help take care of him (he is a cancer patient/survivor).

So with BCT and OCS both 8 (+) weeks long, to do both would put a lot of strain on everything, and that is a lot when it's someone's parent is on the line.

If anyone has any useful information or could point me in some sort of direction that would be very appreciated and helpful. Now if it is set in stone that BCT must be taken and there is no waiver out of it, then I need to take more time to think about my situation.

Thank you all for your help and input.

Sincerely,

LostMyMarbles

Re: Question regarding BCT for prior service.

You'd be going alright. The only exception to the Air branches are special ops or security police.

Army Directive 2011-02 (Initial Entry Training for Prior Service Personnel)

4. Prior service personnel entering the Reserve Components (RC) (Army National Guard and U.S. Army Reserve) will go straight to their RC unit regardless of the length of their break in service if they:

Completed Army or Marine Corps basic training, or Completed training for Air Force or Navy Special Operations Forces, or Air Force Security Police.
    I've always been surprised the military did this and insists on spending the money for it.
    Last edited by SteveLord; May 2nd, 2012, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Sorry man, you're going to have to go to Basic. No waivers for that. This started January 2011 so you would have had to go to Basic even if you joined right after you ETS'd in May last year.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your situation! Unfortunately, you'll have to attend Basic Combat Training as a Prior Service applicant. Here's some information you might find helpful: http://www.nationalguard.com/careers...vice-air-force.

Are you thinking of becoming an Officer? You might be able to enlist directly as an Officer an attend Officer Candidate School instead of BCT.

Let me know if you have any questions about either BCT or OCS. I'm happy to answer them for you!

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
          Sorry to hear about your situation! Unfortunately, you'll have to attend Basic Combat Training as a Prior Service applicant. Here's some information you might find helpful: http://www.nationalguard.com/careers...vice-air-force.

Are you thinking of becoming an Officer? You might be able to enlist directly as an Officer an attend Officer Candidate School instead of BCT.

Let me know if you have any questions about either BCT or OCS. I'm happy to answer them for you!
          Yes I'm thinking of becoming an Officer. I was under the impression that if I was to go to OCS I wouldn't have to do BCT, as least that is how my recruiter had stated it, among other things I've read and heard about OCS.

It was not until this year that he had mentioned BCT, while last year when I first started the process he never mentioned BCT.

Is there a way to go to just OCS and bypass BCT?

Thank you all for your inputs, they are very appreciated.

Sincerely,
          LostMyMarbles

Comment

Originally posted by Lostmymarbles View Post

Is there a way to go to just OCS and bypass BCT?
            Your recruiter is correct! You can enlist under the OCS program without ever having to attend BCT (if you have completed training in the following: Army BCT, U.S. Marine Corps BT, U.S. Navy Special Operations Forces, or U.S. Air Force Security Police); providing you meet all the requirements for the course. This would include having a minimum of 90 credit hours for State or NGB Accelerated program, and a bachelors degree for the Federal program. Keep in mind, however, if you do not complete the OCS program and receive your commission, you may be directly discharged for not maintaining the requirements of your enlistment contract. The best case scenario if you fail is being allowed to attend BCT and become enlisted instead. Here's some information about OCS you might find useful: http://www.nationalguard.com/careers...ndidate-school.

Hope this helps!
            Last edited by B.Wood; May 10th, 2012, 04:44 PM. Reason: added correct info regarding training required to bypass BCT

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
              Your recruiter is correct! You can enlist under the OCS program without ever having to attend BCT; providing you meet all the requirements for the course. This would include having a minimum of 90 credit hours for State or NGB Accelerated program, and a bachelors degree for the Federal program. Keep in mind, however, if you do not complete the OCS program and receive your commission, you may be directly discharged for not maintaining the requirements of your enlistment contract. The best case scenario if you fail is being allowed to attend BCT and become enlisted instead. Here's some information about OCS you might find useful: http://www.nationalguard.com/careers...ndidate-school.

Hope this helps!
              Can you provide a reference for that? All OCS prior service enlistments I see still attend basic and then start OCS. I just shipped out 2 a couple months ago that were prior service air force.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                Can you provide a reference for that? All OCS prior service enlistments I see still attend basic and then start OCS. I just shipped out 2 a couple months ago that were prior service air force.
                I thought the same thing when I read that and then I saw "Super Moderator" and said, "I guess that info is legit".

Comment

To sum up any confusion, he would need to attend BCT if he didn't complete training for US Air Force Security Police.
                  Army National Guard Assessions Option Criteria FY 12/13 1st Edition 13Feb2012

(h) All PS applicants enlisting into OCS, regardless of component who have not completed an Army BCT, U.S. Marine Corps (USMC) BT, completed training for U.S. Navy Special Operations Forces, or U.S. Air Force Security Police during previous military service are required to attend Army BCT. Soldiers currently enrolled for O9S (State and Accelerated OCS only) prior to 4 April 2011 are exempt from BCT requirements.

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                  I thought the same thing when I read that and then I saw "Super Moderator" and said, "I guess that info is legit".

Comment

Originally posted by B.Wood View Post
                    To sum up any confusion, he would need to attend BCT if he didn't complete training for US Air Force Security Police.
                    Army National Guard Assessions Option Criteria FY 12/13 1st Edition 13Feb2012

(h) All PS applicants enlisting into OCS, regardless of component who have not completed an Army BCT, U.S. Marine Corps (USMC) BT, completed training for U.S. Navy Special Operations Forces, or U.S. Air Force Security Police during previous military service are required to attend Army BCT. Soldiers currently enrolled for O9S (State and Accelerated OCS only) prior to 4 April 2011 are exempt from BCT requirements.
                    Thanks for clarifying! I'll try to be more clear next time.

Comment

Ok, with that being said, based off all of the information given by the OP, he will have to attend BCT.

Comment

To the OP,

You seem to be on the fence about having to attend Army BCT. My first question is why did you ETS out of the Air Guard? Why didn't you stay with a branch that your training was already sufficient for? As I am wot to do on this forum, I will preach the kool-aid laden message concerning your OCS aspirations, that if you are not willing to attend basic, you certainly won't have the stomach for OCS. Even enlisting into the Army Guard would require you to attend BCT. If memory serves, this regulation has evolved over the last decade. A number of years ago any other service Basic/Boot Camp sufficed for transition into the Army...then, we started..what was it called? Warrior Transition Course? Which could be considered a "mini" basic for Navy and AF prior service applicants. I can't tell you why specifically that went away...but it apparently has. I hope you still buck up and enlist although if you'd care to comment on why you left the ANG, it might paint a better picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                          To the OP,

You seem to be on the fence about having to attend Army BCT. My first question is why did you ETS out of the Air Guard? Why didn't you stay with a branch that your training was already sufficient for? As I am wot to do on this forum, I will preach the kool-aid laden message concerning your OCS aspirations, that if you are not willing to attend basic, you certainly won't have the stomach for OCS. Even enlisting into the Army Guard would require you to attend BCT. If memory serves, this regulation has evolved over the last decade. A number of years ago any other service Basic/Boot Camp sufficed for transition into the Army...then, we started..what was it called? Warrior Transition Course? Which could be considered a "mini" basic for Navy and AF prior service applicants. I can't tell you why specifically that went away...but it apparently has. I hope you still buck up and enlist although if you'd care to comment on why you left the ANG, it might paint a better picture.
                          All that being true, I wouldn't want to attend BCT again if I didn't have to, either. Can't blame somebody for trying to make sure they NEED 10 weeks of BCT before they get on the bus. It's not like this guy is some 17 year old drooler trying to get a free uniform. He's prior service, got a college degree, etc. give him the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Thank you all for your advice and inputs, they have been very helpful and appreciated. It seems I fall into the category of needing to attend BCT before going to OCS, so I have much to think about.

Thank you all for your help.

Sincerely,
                            LostMyMarbles

Comment

Just throwing this out there, but an option for you would be to enlist 09S, and go to State OCS (18 mos) instead of Federal. That way, your time away would only be for BCT, then you'd just drill for OCS, rather than stay at Ft Benning for another 9 weeks.

Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X