Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Can I enlist with a juvenile record with charges that are "dismissed in the interest of justice"? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I enlist with a juvenile record with charges that are "dismissed in the interest of justice"?

Hi I just wanted to know if I am still eligible to join the California National guard with my juvenile record if most of the charges have been "dismissed in the interest of justice". When I was 15 I was charged with 1.)Possession of a weapon on school grounds. 2.) Concealment of the weapon. 3.)Possession of marijuana on school grounds. I went to court but ended up transferring the case to a new county because my parents decided to move me at the time to get away from trouble. Before the case was transferred the court dismissed the concealed weapon charge and the possession of marijuana charge. What they labeled when they dismissed it was "dismissed in the interest of justice" which I don't really know what that means. After the case was transferred to my new county that I reside in, I went to court and was convicted of a misdemeanor charge of possession of a weapon on school grounds. I was sentenced to probation for 2 years. Since my conviction I haven't been in any trouble with the law. If anyone has any knowledge or insight about my situation it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Can I enlist with a juvenile record with charges that are "dismissed in the interest of justice"

Wait... You got arrested with a weapon on school grounds twice?

Comment

Re: Can I enlist with a juvenile record with charges that are "dismissed in the interest of justice"

Originally posted by Lance13D View Post
      Wait... You got arrested with a weapon on school grounds twice?
      No no no....I wasn't sentenced until I changed county's but when I was sentenced in the end I was only convicted and sentenced for the possession of a weapon on school grounds charge.

Comment

Tracking. That's a sticky situation. You'd definitely have to talk to a recruiter about that. And I'm going to be honest with you, it'll be hard to find a recruiter that's going to touch a waiver for that. Just a heads-up. But good luck to you.

Comment

Thanks I appreciate it. I plan on going to talk to a recruiter soon. I found out what "dismissed in the interest of justice" is. Basically it means any of the following 1.) The court has insufficient evidence to pursue a case. 2.) The courts don't feel it is worth their time or money to pursue. 3.) The arrest and process was done incorrectly or in a way that is unlawful to do.

Comment

So I talked to a recruiter today. The recruiters said it looks like a have a good chance to get in. I have another appointment on Monday to fill out paperwork. On Thursday im supposed to go to MEPS with him to take the actual ASVAB (I scored a 68 on the test ASVAB) while I'm taking the ASVAB he said he's going to talk to the guy at MEPS to see if I'm a go or no-go for sure before I do anything else at MEPS. So hopefully everything goes good. I'll post what happens after on here. Has anyone else had an experience like this where your recruiter well talk to the guys at MEPS first and go from there? The recruiters i'm working with seem really genuine about helping me out which I appreciate greatly. Feel free to post input. Thanks!

Comment

The latest information I have states that conduct waivers, such as misdemeanors, are currently suspended. Enlistment criteria can change overnight, so it's not unheard of to have a recruiter check in with MEPS for the latest information. Hopefully things work out for you! It sounds like you've got a great recruiter to help you through the process.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                The latest information I have states that conduct waivers, such as misdemeanors, are currently suspended. Enlistment criteria can change overnight, so it's not unheard of to have a recruiter check in with MEPS for the latest information. Hopefully things work out for you! It sounds like you've got a great recruiter to help you through the process.
                Welcome to the board, it sounds like you are in the know on things. Perhaps though you could add your credentials to your signature. It helps to validate your postings.

Comment

Just thought I would stop by and post an update on my situation. I filled out my enlistment packet and have been to MEPS once for the ASVAB. I scored a 74 and all my line scores are over 109. After the ASVAB I reported to my recruiter and he told me he had gotten my local pd record and CHP and court records but they all don't release records is what he told me. I already provided my court records to him anyways. He still needs to get my old county (which would take 2 weeks is what they told my recruiter.)records before he can send it all in for what he said is a suitability review. So in two weeks I should know if im approved to enlist or not. He also said if it got approved and I was enlisted, while I was in DEP 3 WEEKS before I go to BCT I would be interviewed by a military investigator even though I don't need a secret or TS clearance. Well that's the situation so far jus waiting on paper work.

Comment

Originally posted by robe9206 View Post
                    Just thought I would stop by and post an update on my situation. I filled out my enlistment packet and have been to MEPS once for the ASVAB. I scored a 74 and all my line scores are over 109. After the ASVAB I reported to my recruiter and he told me he had gotten my local pd record and CHP and court records but they all don't release records is what he told me. I already provided my court records to him anyways. He still needs to get my old county (which would take 2 weeks is what they told my recruiter.)records before he can send it all in for what he said is a suitability review. So in two weeks I should know if im approved to enlist or not. He also said if it got approved and I was enlisted, while I was in DEP 3 WEEKS before I go to BCT I would be interviewed by a military investigator even though I don't need a secret or TS clearance. Well that's the situation so far jus waiting on paper work.
                    Thanks for sharing your update! Keep motivated and we look forward to hearing how everything turns out!

Comment

Ok so I finally have an update in my recruitment process. My suitability review was approved today ! Im meeting with my recruiter on Tuesday for some final paperwork signing and hopefully MEPS on Thursday. I'll keep you guys posted on how everything turns out from there.

Comment

That's great news!!! Glad to see it worked out for you! Now stay out of trouble, and do us proud!

Comment

Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing more. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                          X