X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psych waiver craziness

I'd really like to think my recruiter is telling me the truth (which in case he were to read this, I fully acknowledge might be the case), but I just have this inkling that something's not quite right.

I've done my MEPS physical, and was disqualified for having received psych treatment as a child for an EBD (Axis V GAF was always greater than or equal to 80), treatment was successful and completed in early teens (now in late 20s). I submitted all extant psychotherapy notes, along with current psych evaluations and letters of recommendation from a MAJ and a COL whom I have worked with, to get an appointment at MEPS which was as I expected. At MEPS, I was disqualified for having had my EBD (otherwise all okay, I'm in excellent shape) as I also expected, and the doctor recommended me for a waiver, as I had hoped for.

But here's where things start getting weird. At the NG office at MEPS, I was told that such a waiver should take roughly two weeks to get back. I wait three weeks before calling my recruiter who told me that we were waiting for my unit to sign off on my waiver before he could submit it to NGB, and that that's when it would take around two weeks. I call again in two weeks and he had apparently just submitted it to NGB.

I waited four weeks before I called again, and there's no information. It's coming up on two months now with no news. While normally I wouldn't worry about the wait, I started the entire enlistment process in May (of 2011) in order to ensure I could get a BCT slot for this summer to avoid any conflict with my civilian job. At this point, I'm not sure if that's even going to be possible.

I recognize from reading the fora that waivers are somewhat unpredictable in terms of timing, but multiple people have made reference here and throughout the process for me (recruiter and folks at MEPS) that once actually at the NGB, it generally takes approximately 2 weeks. Is that no longer accurate? Or do psych waivers take longer than physical medical waivers? Or is there just something else wrong here?
    Last edited by deepsouth; April 27th, 2012, 04:08 PM.

Re: Psych waiver craziness

I'm still early in the process of joining like you, but my recruiter said it takes months for waivers to be completely processed.

Comment

That might be, but then why would everyone throughout the process assure me that while these things used to take months, as you noted, that "they've improved" and that now it takes less time? It's more than a little disheartening to see 18 and 19 year olds in the ROTC battalion at my university with drinking or marijuana records start the process in February or March and already have a basic slot secured within two weeks or so, and then look at myself, working on my PhD with no criminal history and in better shape, having spent a year in my enlistment process with nothing to show for it.

Comment

I totally understand your frustration! It sounds like you're doing the right thing, though, by following up with your recruiter and with MEPS. No one is going to take your enlistment as seriously as you will, so it's important you keep up with it on a regular basis. You are correct. Waiver approvals have no timeline and often depend on multiple variables, so the long wait could have nothing to do with your waiver and everything to do with how many other waivers are being processed. Stay positive! Before you know it, you'll be approved and on your way to training!

Comment

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but you won't likely make your timeframe. A few years ago I was in the same situation, but couldn't get a BCT slot for 2-3 months.

Comment

So I've since found out that my paperwork never went through the state office which means it never got to NGB. Seriously? Why would a recruiter just straight up lie when there's no reason to?

Comment

Working...
            X